Uptone Audio EtherREGEN Owners & Discussion Thread

On 04/01/2020 at 9:42 PM, dbastin said:

What is your digital source?   And network ... upstream modem, isolation, PSU, etc.

BTW, I recall reading on Audiophile Style one person concluded to remove their M scaler because the improvement by the ER revealed the M Scaler affected the SQ in a way they didn't like.

In my experience, cables really do matter, even ethernet.  Maybe even upstream of ER.  And you can probably get better results from cable better than Cable Matters. 

Digital source is a 2018 Mac Mini running LMS server, ethernet connected to Airport Extreme Router in another room, wifi to another AirPort Extreme high on a shelf in the AV room, ethernet connected to EtherRegen.

I hear you about good cables. My cable strategy is always to start cheap and try all low cost options and only go up the spending if I am not happy or feel something could be improved. Sometimes you really find giant killers down in the weeds. Like my Oyaide USB, AUD $55 and is better than cables I’ve tried at many times it’s price. Maybe the Cable Matters at USD$10 will stay in place as well. Here is how someone else rates it from the AS forum “ I prefer it to the WW Starlight.  They are  very close - which says a lot given the price difference - but the CM cable is better balanced with better dimensionally”

• Like 2

Umm, just a heads up fyi ... I think some messages got mixed up with another thread, and/or possibly something deleted.  So Im not the post above belongs here.

Edited by dbastin

5 hours ago, dbastin said:

Umm, just a heads up fyi ... I think some messages got mixed up with another thread, and/or possibly something deleted.  So Im not the post above belongs here.

I just responded to your post from last week on the previous page of this thread, where you were interested in what equipment I had preceding the EtherRegen. Which is fair enough, as it all seems to contribute as you go up the source chain.

Even DC cables seem to matter on components up the chain which is confounding but I’ve stopped trying to look for for explanations and now I ‘listen first, ask questions later’

Oh, I dont know how I didnt see those previous posts despite having a close look, must've skipped that page.

I too have stopped trying to understand how and why all these ethernet tweaks have impact on SQ.

Its both a phenomenon and phenomenal.

It seems to me attention needs to be given to every part to create a good ethernet 'system' - and all the parts are interdependent!

But then I am unsure if changes/tweaks to the dirty side of ER (or other isolation) still affect SQ.  But that's probably getting off topic of this thread ... so I created this ...

• Like 4

So I received my EtherREGEN on Monday. Firstly I must thank the kind members on this forum who opened my eyes to the benefits of streaming via Ethernet, and also optimising this streaming path.

To be honest, just a few months ago I hadn't dabbled at all into Ethernet tweaking and some of you may remember my thread entitled "Streaming via Ethernet versus Wifi". Whist this thread is not accessible anymore it did get me to try streaming over Ethernet, then to try a better cable and also to try a Baaske isolator (which a kind forum member lent me). I was kinda stunned at impact the Baaske isolator had on sound quality so that really opened my eyes to the EtherREGEN; and thanks to @Snoopy8 who started the initial thread on this product, I wouldn't have otherwise know it existed.

The EtherREGEN has finally fixed the problem I've had with my system since I initially bought B&W 804D3 speakers two years ago. The issue was that these speakers are extremely transparent (possibly to a fault) and as soon as I installed them it exposed all the weaknesses in my components. I've since upgraded amplifier, source, cables, even installed a power regenerator. All have made substantial improvements but I'd been frustrated, that with all these upgrades things still weren't sounding completely right. Sure, the system as a whole was sounding very good but there was subtle distortion and unnaturalness to the sound that would irritate me on some days. I thought perhaps the speakers were just too bright.

So now I sit, with about 24 hours on the EtherREGEN and the following descriptors come to mind: clear, alive, holographic, realistic, impactful and detailed bass (which is quite addictive I must warn) and a sense of space between instruments and voices. It's definitely elevated my system and I think completely removed the issues I've felt I had with my system, though I'd need more time with it just to be sure. (My system details are below in my signature.)

Definitely for those on the fence I would recommend giving it a try. It's pretty painless to install. I was up an running within minutes. I'd rank it now as an essential component.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Ed Sky said:

So I received my EtherREGEN on Monday. Firstly I must thank the kind members on this forum who opened my eyes to the benefits of streaming via Ethernet, and also optimising this streaming path.

To be honest, just a few months ago I hadn't dabbled at all into Ethernet tweaking and some of you may remember my thread entitled "Streaming via Ethernet versus Wifi". Whist this thread is not accessible anymore it did get me to try streaming over Ethernet, then to try a better cable and also to try a Baaske isolator (which a kind forum member lent me). I was kinda stunned at impact the Baaske isolator had on sound quality so that really opened my eyes to the EtherREGEN; and thanks to @Snoopy8 who started the initial thread on this product, I wouldn't have otherwise know it existed.

The EtherREGEN has finally fixed the problem I've had with my system since I initially bought B&W 804D3 speakers two years ago. The issue was that these speakers are extremely transparent (possibly to a fault) and as soon as I installed them it exposed all the weaknesses in my components. I've since upgraded amplifier, source, cables, even installed a power regenerator. All have made substantial improvements but I'd been frustrated, that with all these upgrades things still weren't sounding completely right. Sure, the system as a whole was sounding very good but there was subtle distortion and unnaturalness to the sound that would irritate me on some days. I thought perhaps the speakers were just too bright.

So now I sit, with about 24 hours on the EtherREGEN and the following descriptors come to mind: clear, alive, holographic, realistic, impactful and detailed bass (which is quite addictive I must warn) and a sense of space between instruments and voices. It's definitely elevated my system and I think completely removed the issues I've felt I had with my system, though I'd need more time with it just to be sure. (My system details are below in my signature.)

Definitely for those on the fence I would recommend giving it a try. It's pretty painless to install. I was up an running within minutes. I'd rank it now as an essential component.

Seems you are getting the benefits most owners are hearing, still waiting for mine arrive from the January batch.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ed Sky said:

Brilliant news, #winning

There was some earlier posts on using multiple outputs on the "A side":

On 30/12/2019 at 4:44 PM, awayward said:

I’m very surprised that your new configuration produces better sound, as having the A and B sides switched goes totally against the design philosophy.

On 30/12/2019 at 5:00 PM, Snoopy8 said:

Prior to trying, I agreed with your statement!  In the Devialet Phantom setup, it happens that the all Ethernet setup is better than PLC. And the Devialet devices do not add any significant Ethernet noise.  There are now 2 us with this setup. 

I could not answer why my setup worked, but John Swenson, the designer has now answered it here and this what he said:

This configuration will work very well. As long as the packet flow is going from B to two A ports this is fine. The problem occurs when you have  something like A NAS or router connected to the A side AND an endpoint on the A side. Then the timing of the packets coming into the A side can affect the timing going out on another A side port. If two A ports are going out with data coming from the B port this can't happen.

So the "A side" can be used for multiple outputs as long as the above guidelines are followed.

• Like 1

On ‎26‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 10:53 AM, Snoopy8 said:

the timing of the packets coming into the A side can affect the timing going out on another A side port.

Do we assume this is detrimental?

If so, in a Roon set up, I guess its best to have Roon Core and connection to internet (Tidal) on A Side, and output to Roon Ready endpoint from B side.  However, incoming data from Tidal en-route to Core may cause a clash with data going both from Tidal to Core and from Core to B side simultaneously.

But isnt that just normal bi directional data flows switches are designed to faciltitate?

Maybe Tidal should come in B side and Core and endpoint connectedcto A side??

I wonder what Mr Swenson  would recommend to help optimise a typical Roon+Tidal set up?

Edited by dbastin

4 hours ago, dbastin said:

If so, in a Roon set up, I guess its best to have Roon Core and connection to internet (Tidal) on A Side, and output to Roon Ready endpoint from B side.  However, incoming data from Tidal en-route to Core may cause a clash with data going both from Tidal to Core and from Core to B side) simultaneously.

Agree that Roon end point should be on B side. I think you are reading too much into the clash of data on A side. I think John was making the point that there should be no clash of data on the side where the renderer/end point is.

5 hours ago, dbastin said:

I wonder what Mr Swenson  would recommend to help optimise a typical Roon+Tidal set up?

You can ask on AudiophileStyle / Uptone forum but suggest not on Roon forum where there are a number of anti Uptone members intent to disrupting threads.

• 3 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, Ed Sky said:

Here’s a video review of the EtherREGEN. Some useful information about tweaking it with different LPS’ and also a comparison with some of the other switches out there...

Thank you. EtherREGEN shines.  Should I reveal the comparison findings?  ? 

Have not tried the SFP port, so cannot comment.  Hans does not seem to find a lot of difference with LPS and in his previous Silent Angel Bonn video, suggested keeping the supplied SMTS.  I found the Gieseler 12V 2A Enhanced PSU made a difference.

• Like 1

Not a magazine I am familiar with, but Stereo Times published a review here

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/most-wanted-components-of-the-decade-digital

It is the sixth review on the page and it says this:

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN ($640): The UpTone Audio EtherREGEN ethernet switch/re-clocker’s unique design includes a series of active, high speed, low jitter differential isolator chips that are used in conjunction with ultra-low jitter differential re-clocking flip flops which is not offered in any other Ethernet switch.  As demonstrated in my reviewing system, this design method with the incorporation of an active differential isolation moat results in dual, isolated clock/data/power domains, blockage of all external leakage currents, a reduction in upstream phase-noise fingerprint, and maximal signal integrity.  The addition of the EtherRegen  has to be the top grade I've done to the digital part of my reviewing system including all Ethernet cables, LAN filters, and outboard power supplies.  Besides lowering the noise floor and signal compression, enhancing the sense of space and depth, improving the dynamics, and accurately conveying the timbre of each instrument, the EtherREGEN enhances the ictus (the leading edge of beat points that articulate the pulse of the music to the ensemble) like no other device or tweak I have had in my system.  Truly a must have component in any system that streams music across an Ethernet cable. (Mike Girardi)

• Love 1

A positive review at:

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/most-wanted-components-of-the-decade-digital

UpTone Audio EtherREGEN ($640? The UpTone Audio EtherREGEN ethernet switch/re-clocker’s unique design includes a series of active, high speed, low jitter differential isolator chips that are used in conjunction with ultra-low jitter differential re-clocking flip flops which is not offered in any other Ethernet switch.  As demonstrated in my reviewing system, this design method with the incorporation of an active differential isolation moat results in dual, isolated clock/data/power domains, blockage of all external leakage currents, a reduction in upstream phase-noise fingerprint, and maximal signal integrity.  The addition of the EtherRegen  has to be the top grade I've done to the digital part of my reviewing system including all Ethernet cables, LAN filters, and outboard power supplies.  Besides lowering the noise floor and signal compression, enhancing the sense of space and depth, improving the dynamics, and accurately conveying the timbre of each instrument, the EtherREGEN enhances the ictus (the leading edge of beat points that articulate the pulse of the music to the ensemble) like no other device or tweak I have had in my system.  Truly a must have component in any system that streams music across an Ethernet cable. (Mike Girardi)

• 2 weeks later...

4 hours ago, Stereophilus said:

Mine is scheduled for delivery Monday.  I have an iFi iPower for initial use.  Might upgrade to a Gieseler LPSU.  Has anyone compared optional PSU upgrades?

Good to hear it is coming.

Suggest leaving it on for at least 24 hours before listening, assuming you can wait that long. It does get better till about 200/300 hours (some claim even longer!).

I compared the supplied one with 2 Gieseler PSUs and both were better than the SMPS.

Not much on the Uptone forum, but if you start from this link and scroll down, people are starting to post more about PSUs

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/57686-the-etherregen-thread-for-various-cable-and-power-experiences-and-experiments/?do=findComment&comment=1032259

Looking forward to reading your early impressions.

Edited by Snoopy8
Typo
  • Like 1

Guidance required please on how to ground my EtherRegen, as I would like to a try my UltraCap LPS-1.2 LPSU, the issue I have is my EtherRegen, music server and the associated stuff is in another room, and I don’t think my server, NAS or power supplies can be used as a grounding point.

How can I ground my EtherRegen in this situation?

From the user guide:

If you power the EtherREGEN with a "floating" supply—one whose 0- volt/-VE (‘ground’/shell) is not common to AC mains ground—then ideally the Ground screw of the EtherREGEN should be used. You can do so by running an insulated wire safely to some AC mains ground or to the chassis of a known-grounded component in your audio system. [By the way, our UltraCap LPS-1.2 is a completely "floated" and isolated supply, so if using it with EtherREGEN the ground screw should be used.]

FE620957-3097-4543-8059-66364DA3C052.jpeg

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, awayward said:

Guidance required please on how to ground my EtherRegen, as I would like to a try my UltraCap LPS-1.2 LPSU, the issue I have is my EtherRegen, music server and the associated stuff is in another room, and I don’t think my server, NAS or power supplies can be used as a grounding point.

How can I ground my EtherRegen in this situation?

I cheated and got Clay's PSU!  ? 

Have look at this long thread for ideas.  Surprise, surprise, it was started by John Swenson...

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/

** Or get one of these and use wire to connect to the ER ground terminal 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clipsal-Grounding-Plug/163758145407?hash=item2620beff7f:g:ZW0AAOSwNAVd7nL7&redirect=mobile

Edited by Snoopy8
Added **

44 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

I cheated and got Clay's PSU!  ? 

Have look at this long thread for ideas.  Surprise, surprise, it was started by John Swenson...

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/37034-smps-and-grounding/

** Or get one of these and use wire to connect to the ER ground terminal 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Clipsal-Grounding-Plug/163758145407?hash=item2620beff7f:g:ZW0AAOSwNAVd7nL7&redirect=mobile

Thanks Snoop, I was trying to avoid reading that long thread, most of it would go over my head.

The grounding plug is exactly what I need I think, I have a spare PowerPoint, I’ve googled on and off for weeks and couldn’t find the plug, cheers

On 29/02/2020 at 5:12 PM, awayward said:

Thanks Snoop, I was trying to avoid reading that long thread, most of it would go over my head.

The grounding plug is exactly what I need I think, I have a spare PowerPoint, I’ve googled on and off for weeks and couldn’t find the plug, cheers

I received the Clipsal Grounding plug this morning, it has only one wire to the earth pin, will I need to turn the powerpoint on for the grounding to work? Some advice would be appreciated.

5 minutes ago, awayward said:

I received the Clipsal Grounding plug this morning, it has only one wire to the earth pin, will I need to turn the powerpoint on for the grounding to work? Some advice would be appreciated.

No need.

4 hours ago, awayward said:

Thank you, again ?

Most welcome. Do provide some feedback on listening with and without. Come to think of it, I don't recall reading your impressions of the ER?

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Most welcome. Do provide some feedback on listening with and without. Come to think of it, I don't recall reading your impressions of the ER?

Well first up I can say that the Uptone UltraCap LPS 1.2 has had a positive effect on SQ when powering the ER. My music room is on the ground level and partner and dogs on the first floor, the first song I played I thought the bass was more prominent and better defined, along with better separation and soundstage. After 5 test tracks I went upstairs and my partner said “what have you done with the bass?”, so she noticed the change. I don’t know how but it is like the noise floor is lower, which generally improves everything, I really can’t believe the SQ I’m getting from streaming with the ER, both locally and via Tidal.

Secondly I haven’t given my impression of the ER because it was heaven and hell for the first month, a combination of burn in, trying different ethernet cables and wrong setup really gave me grief, I finally got there by going back to my known good setup and introducing one change at a time, after a good burn, which the ER requires.

Very happy with the end result with the ER, it really adds that missing bit to high quality streaming.

Waiting on the delivery of 4 new EGM power cables to finish off my system finally, I’ve been testing the red and black cables for a couple of weeks and the SQ improvement is noticeable and very beneficial, compared the the aftermarket cables I currently have.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, awayward said:

Well first up I can say that the Uptone UltraCap LPS 1.2 has had a positive effect on SQ when powering the ER. 

Just wondering how you are keeping both cool? 

Are you going to get the JS2, said to be better? At A$1.5K landed, it not cheap (and yes, it can power 2 devices). I suspect any more improvement will be small. 

Bang for buck, it will be difficult to match what the ER did to my setup.