Uptone Audio EtherREGEN Owners & Discussion Thread

Uptone Audio have released an Ethernet switch specifically designed for the audio market.

Useful Links:

EtherRegen product information

EtherREGEN User Guide

Uptone Audio Sponsored Forum which has threads on listening impressions, installation and questions, development thread, cable and power tweaking and firmware.

Some links to actual listener impressions here. Some information summarising user impressions and findings about DACs and streamers.

Reviews Hans Beekhuyzen video reviewStereo TimesAudiophileStyle

Please keep this thread for posts from owners and potential owners. If you wish to debate whether this product works as intended or not, this thread is NOT for you. Suggest posting on this Great Audio Debate thread:

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/293706-uptone-audio-etherregen-game-changer-or-hype/ (removed, not everyone has access to thread)

Ethernet switches for audio - Part B: why a regular switch will suffice

Will do my best to monitor this thread and will request moderators to shift controversial posts that are intended to inflame debate to that other thread (which I hope can remain open).

I have purchased one with the intention to try it. If it does not improve my setup based on what I hear, I will take advantage of the 30 day money back guarantee. Will post my impressions  after I listen to it for an extended period. My impressions here (am keeping it!). Impact of using a LPSU here

This is a typical setup (from user manual).

image.png.8fdbcb248bcbb96d05ffc4cd8434dd1b.png

Details of the connectors

image.png.b0be4a16b939457f035dfa264e7a6256.png

To keep this thread focused on the product, am suggesting that all discussions on Ethernet cables be posted here

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/298328-ethernet-cables- uptone-audio-etherregen-only/

Not using an expensive "uber" Ethernet cable, reviewed here

Also note that contrary to what the manual says, shielded Ethernet cables with metal ends may reduce sound quality.  Try cables with plastic plugs.

Full disclosure:  not associated with Uptone Audio nor its dealers and do not participate in the Uptone forum. Purchased the ER from AfterDark in Hong Kong.

Edited by Snoopy8
Added diagrams, updated, added links, user impressions, reviews, full disclosure, metal ended cables
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Guest scumbag

Tracking is showing that mine has arrived in Sydney. I go on leave on the 19th. Now that is in the hands of Australia Post, there is no telling how long it will take to get to me. I'm starting to think it won't be until the New Year.

56 minutes ago, andresz said:

You will get it by Wed/Thurs. I was in the November batch and tracked it closely.  You will be very surprised at what the ER does. I have it in a high end rig for HT and HIFI for streaming. 

Great to read you have had a positive experience, looking forward to mine arriving in the January batch.

Mine arrived today (yes, Saturday!) after being shipped by AfterDark HK on Wednesday!  Amazing performance by HK Post, arrived in Melbourne on Thursday, and kudos to Australia Post for doing their bit as well.  

Based on what I read on the Uptone forum, am doing a 24 hour burn in before I listen tomorrow  and over several days. Unit does get hot, but am using a passive CPU cooler to keep it neutral to touch.

1 hour ago, andresz said:

You will get it by Wed/Thurs. I was in the November batch and tracked it closely.  You will be very surprised at what the ER does. I have it in a high end rig for HT and HIFI for streaming. 

Oh!  I did not realise someone here managed to pull that off!    Please post more of your setup and listening impressions.

Current scenario I have;  nbn, router, switch with ifi power. From there three long Ethernet cables to naim unitilite, ndx and oppo 105d.  

How would this device be used in current setup, I see only one output and multiple inputs. 
Neo

Edited by Neo

2 hours ago, Neo said:

Current scenario I have;  nbn, router, switch with ifi power. From there three long Ethernet cables to naim unitilite, ndx and oppo 105d.  

How would this device be used in current setup, I see only one output and multiple inputs. 
Neo

The B side of the EtherRegen is meant to connect to the DAC of your system.  Which of your 3 devices is your main DAC?  This device will be the main beneficiary.  Connect the rest of the devices to A side.

40 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

The B side of the EtherRegen is meant to connect to the DAC of your system.  Which of your 3 devices is your main DAC?  This device will be the main beneficiary.  Connect the rest of the devices to A side.

Abit confused which dac support Ethernet as a source?

i suspect I will need three of these to get the benefit

Neo

Edited by Neo

12 minutes ago, Neo said:

Abit confused which dac support Ethernet as a source?

i suspect I will need three of these to get the benefit

Sorry, should have been better with my reply. The B side should be connected to the last device which feeds the DAC & speakers.  So, if your DAC does not have an Ethernet port, then it will be to the streamer which drives your DAC.

image.png.7b8b1217ae32ef77504bdeac415a4ad4.png

Edited by Snoopy8
Added diagram from manual
  • Like 1

On 14/12/2019 at 8:06 PM, Neo said:

Pity I has only one output.

As I understand, it can be used either direction.  You could approach it as simply A and B sides being isolated from one another, and choose which is the 'dirty' side.

For instance, all your low noise audio gear could be on Side A with the 'noisy' outside world connecting to Side B - if you need more ports on Side B (eg. PC, NAS), put another cheap switch between those and Side B.

I recall the ports on Side A have some isolation from one another, just not a Moat.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dbastin said:

As I understand, it can be used either direction.  You could approach it as simply A and B sides being isolated from one another, and choose which is the 'dirty' side.

For instance, all your low noise audio gear could be on Side A with the 'noisy' outside world connecting to Side B - if you need more ports on Side B (eg. PC, NAS), put another cheap switch between those and Side B.

I recall the ports on Side A have some isolation from one another, just not a Moat.

Yes, all the 4 ports on the A side can be used as the outputs, but there is a chance that the devices on the A side will re-introduce noise. Hence, may not get as much benefit using the EtherREGEN this way...

Listening to mine right now.

Yes definitely different to my old Apple AirPort Extreme Router. It’s changing through burn in so I won’t start tweaking until it settles.

First Impressions are that it feels like the midrange is very forward and clear. Lowest bass is a bit recessed and upper treble is a bit harsh and metallic. These are the exact sort of things which mellow with burn in, so let’s give it a few more days.

Overall its a positive improvement assuming the treble mellows. Great sense of space.

• Like 3

On 14/12/2019 at 10:58 AM, Snoopy8 said:

Sorry, this is a bit off topic ... but I cant fund the abice thread anymore.  Has it been completely removed?

Im only wondering because  it got to discussing ethernet cables, I asked a question, and would like go contact the member I directed the question to via PM instead.

Guest Muon N'
28 minutes ago, dbastin said:

Sorry, this is a bit off topic ... but I cant fund the abice thread anymore.  Has it been completely removed?

Im only wondering because  it got to discussing ethernet cables, I asked a question, and would like go contact the member I directed the question to via PM instead.

Just click on that link.

5 hours ago, dbastin said:

It seems that threads in the Great Audio Debate are now restricted to members who have been here for a while. It appears to be something newly implemented?

Well ... I dont have permission!

There was a member on the last pages who had been testing ethernet cables and is now using shunyata ... if someone still has access, I'd love to get in touch with that member.

Screenshot_20191217-083309_Chrome.jpg

18 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

FYI this is a recommended low budget ethernet cable for the single B-side output from the UpTone threads. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NVS8BF5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1AMUYYA3CT6HJ&psc=1

Just to clarify as I read it, recommended by an owner after testing various cables, not essentially recommended by UpTone.

3 minutes ago, awayward said:

Just to clarify as I read it, recommended by an owner after testing various cables, not essentially recommended by UpTone.

Yes, by an owner. UpTone stay out of ethernet recommendations, except in the long past, when they unofficially suggested the Blue Jeans Cat6a.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

This is what I would tend towards.... for the simple reason that I am interested in something which will I am sure passes a high category.

That’s where the guy who compared and rates the cables started, and there are a handful of similarly priced cables that he rates as sounding better. Also note the ER output B side is only 100mbps.