- ER2 Side A > MCH

- ER2 Side B > TV

Happy burrowing.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, dbastin said:

Ubiquiti -> fibre -> ER Side A

- ER Side A -> MCH/TV

- ER Side B > 2CH

I did try this scenario. However, having seen the impact of the moat on TV, and hearing the better MCH, it was difficult to continue using the A Side.

I understand your thinking behind this i.e. keep 2CH as clean as possible.  However, I get my ultimate 2CH sound quality fix by playing music from RAMDisk using my NUC running SnakeOil.  I thus have little urge to chase more bunnies on the ER side.

1 hour ago, dbastin said:

Or with 2 ERs:

Ubiquiti 1 > ER1 > 2CH

Ubiquiti 1 > fibre > ER2 >

- ER2 Side A > MCH

- ER2 Side B > TV

Ditto - no urge to get a 2nd ER...   My ?  ?  ? are now sound asleep. ? 

• Like 2

Sometimes its better not to know. Have been playing with 2 ER's vs one ER , or one ER with good quality fibre converter on one end.  Annoyingly, 2 ER's connected by fibre is just noticeably better in my setup (this is playing music from a local disk )

Edited by frednork
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered an EtherREGEN (not expected until mid-march), but quick question on best how to hook up when it arrives.

I was thinking:

1) Ethernet wall plug via Supra Cat 8 Ethernet Cable to 2) Netgear 8 port GS108 switch via Supra Cat 8 Ethernet Cable to 3) 'A’ side - EtherREGEN - ‘B’ side via Supra Cat 8 Ethernet Cable to 4) Antipodes CX via Wireworld Starlight Ethernet Cable to 5) Devialet 1000Pro.

I currently have a Netgear 8 port GS108 switch at my hi-fi unit (receives ethernet signal via cable ran through roof from my Router in another room). Should I connect the one cable from ethernet wall plug to ‘A’ side of EtherREGEN , best Ethernet cable from ‘B’ side of EtherREGEN to my Antipodes CX, and for the other equipment in my hi-fi unit (mac mini, tv, etc.) have another cable from ‘A’ side of EtherREGEN to the Netgear GS108 switch and then the Netgear will feed all my other equipment?

Before anyone mentions about feeding fibre from router to ER, my router is in another room in my house, with Cat6 cables ran via wall cavity and in roof attic to ethernet wall plugs.

Edited by Celts88

2 minutes ago, Celts88 said:

1) Ethernet wall plug to 2) 'A’ side - EtherREGEN - ‘B’ side to 3) Antipodes CX to 4) Devialet 1000Pro.

I currently have a Netgear 8 port GS108 switch at my hi-fi unit (receives ethernet signal via cable ran through roof from my Router in another room). Should I connect the one cable from ethernet wall plug to ‘A’ side of EtherREGEN , best Ethernet cable from ‘B’ side of EtherREGEN to my Antipodes CX, and for the other equipment in my hi-fi unit (mac mini, tv, etc.) have another cable from ‘A’ side of EtherREGEN to the Netgear GS108 switch and then the Netgear will feed all my other equipment?

:welcome: to the ? warren!  ?.  On a more serious note, some people take the next step of a LPSU (I use Gieseler) and stop there...  There are of course a few here who enjoy the bunny chase... ?

Attach the computer/streamer/renderer endpoint that is directly connected to your DAC*to the ‘B’-side Ethernet port with a copper Ethernet cable. (*DACs that have an Ethernet input can be directly connected to the ‘B’-side port).  From Uptone website.

If your 1000Pro is connected to the Ethernet, then it should be on B side.  Otherwise CX.  But you can experiment (see below).

The A side does a bit of cleaning, but not as much as B side.  One port on A side is for Ethernet input.  Connect 3 other devices that could do with an improved signal.  Rest will be on NetGear. So config 1 could be this:

Wall plug -> Netgear -> A side ER B Side  -> 1000 Pro (or CX)

If however, you want a clean signal for up to 4 devices, you can reverse the set up and do B to A.  B to A has slightly more noise than A to B, but is still very good.  eg. you could connect the CX and 1000Pro.  I use B to A.

Note that B port is a slow port, so avoid large file transfers over it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Celts88 said:

quick question on best how to hook up when it arrives

I have EX and DevIalet Pro 220, similar to you.  Ive been on quite a journey with ethernet.  There is no 'best' answer. Especially with more than 1 endpoint.

You need to decide what is the priority endpoint, audio or TV/video.  Having both from Side A, they will spoil each other, I'd guess the mac mini and TV will spoil audio more though.

Then be prepared to experiment to find a balance a benefits and trade offs you can live with.

I suggest start with everything except ER and Devialet plugged unto the netgear.  Then do ...

Netgear > CX > ER A - ER B > Devialet.

Based in my experience that will probably be best for audio.  Get a feel for how that sounds as a benchmark of what you'll be trading off.

Then do Netgear > ER A - ER B > CX > Devialet.

Take note of the audio trade off of this config that you experience.

The CX direct out is very low noise, however ER isolation is better if your power and cabling for ethernet will reveal it. 

Next, if you wish to improve the TV do this ... 

Netgear > ER B - ER A > CX > Devialet ... and also ER A > TV

Stream video using the TV, not mac, dvd player etc, except if you get a better picture using say a dvd player with HDMI to the TV, in which case do .... ER A > player > HDMI > TV.

Take note of the audio trade off of this config and TV picture quality improvement that you experience.

I suggest this approach because its probably easier to experience the trade offs and decide if you can live with them.

Leave the mac plugged into the Netgear, assuming it is a media server not an endpoint.

Finally, I trust you are using CX as roon core and Devialet as roon ready, and check you are using RAAT rather than Devialet AIR.

Welcome to the rabbit warren.  Next hole is better ethernet cables, and then LPSs.

• Like 2

@Snoopy8 @dbastin

Really appreciate both of your replies.

4 hours ago, Snoopy8 said:

Wall plug -> Netgear -> A side ER B Side  -> 1000 Pro (or CX)

most likely I'll go with A side ER to B side, but not hard to swap round to have a listen with B to A and see if there's much difference.

I'll put the ER in my study and connect it to my router when I first get it to give it the required 200 hours burn in, before using it in my hi-fi set-up.

I trust you are using CX as roon core and Devialet as roon ready, and check you are using RAAT rather than Devialet AIR

Yep, CX is Roon Core, Devialet is Roon Ready and using RAAT (can't remember last time I used Devialet Air). Would be the same if I end up upgrading to a K40.

Netgear > CX > ER A - ER B > Devialet.

This sounds the most logical way for myself to go for best audio.

Most times I'm using the mac mini, apple tv or tv (Sony X9000E) to watch the tv, and as such the other way around when I'm listening to music via the CX (using Roon) then the mac mini, apple tv and tv won't be getting used. Assume then if these aren't being used then there will be less 'noise' coming from them that would affect the CX attached to the ER (saying that the mac mini may generate noise since it stays on 24/7).

Stream video using the TV, not mac, dvd player etc, except if you get a better picture using say a dvd player with HDMI to the TV, in which case do .... ER A > player > HDMI > TV.

I use either the tv or apple tv to stream Netflix, etc. to the tv (mostly using apple tv as my wife is more used to using that). Don't have any DVD player, and my Foxtel IQ2 is now redundant so these wouldn't be included in any set-up.

Leave the mac plugged into the Netgear, assuming it is a media server not an endpoint.

Yep, mac mini is used for streaming Celtic TV to my tv via HDMI cable (Celtic TV is only accessible via a computer).

My Sony tv is connected to the Optical on the Devialet so that all sound while watching the tv goes through my 2.1 hi-fi set-up (sounds bloody good with action movies, and not bad with other movies too).

Netgear > ER B - ER A > CX > Devialet ... and also ER A > TV

Similar to what Snoopy suggested if I want better tv. Saying that I don't watch the tv that much in the lounge hi-fi room as we've now got a new tv in our family room and my wife prefers to watch the tv in there. The only time the tv in the hi-fi room will get used is either if I'm watching Celtic or I don't fancy watching what my wife is watching (most times in the hi-fi room for me and listening to some music).

Seems if audio is priority then best option is 'Netgear > CX > ER A - ER B > Devialet', and can plug my mac mini, tv and apple tv into the Netgear so I will have the same ethernet for them that I've always had.

I'll give the Netgear > ER B - ER A > all required equipment (CX, Mac, AppTV, TV) and see how this either improves the tv or deteriorates the hi-fi, but in the long run audio is the most important use of the ER for myself so if ER B - ER A is too big a compromise for the hi-fi sound then I'll just go with 'Netgear > Mac, AppTV, TV, CX > ER A - ER B > Devialet',

Edited by Celts88
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Celts88 said:

This sounds the most logical way for myself to go for best audio.

Seems if audio is priority then best option is 'Netgear > CX > ER A - ER B > Devialet', and can plug my mac mini, tv and apple tv into the Netgear so I will have the same ethernet for them that I've always had.

Not necessarily.  @dbastin has done a lot of in depth analysis of the variatiations in his system, but some of us do notice that the direct ethernet output from the CX into the endpoint sounds better than using the ER in between the CX and the endpoint.  I strongly suggest you give this comparison a go and listen very carefully.  I was suprised to find i preferred the CX direct output, it is very good.  I have also heard that the K40 is better again... More rabbits!

Edited by Stereophilus
  • Like 2

Stereophilus, thanks for the reply

Ok, so I should also try 'Netgear > ER A - ER B > CX > Devialet'

With that set-up I can also try my mac / apple tv / Sony tv either all connected to the Netgear or to the ER A side and see if that affects the 'noise' getting through to the CX (hoping the 'moat' will catch most of it)

• Like 1

Hey all. Yes this is being lazy, but to short cut the last 11 pages of reading, if i'm using a device for audio that connects to the internet via ethernet, one of these things will improve sound quality?

I'm not using anything special at the moment for streaming, just a Cullen/W4S modified Sonos in to a Mutec MC3+USB.

Everyone here seems to be very happy with these regens so for what is a relatively modest outlay i might have a crack :)

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, wikeeboy said:

Hey all. Yes this is being lazy, but to short cut the last 11 pages of reading, if i'm using a device for audio that connects to the internet via ethernet, one of these things will improve sound quality?

YES (my lazy answer!) ? 

I'll trade a listen to the A500 (when you get them) for a lend of my ER.

6 hours ago, Celts88 said:

Stereophilus, thanks for the reply

Ok, so I should also try 'Netgear > ER A - ER B > CX > Devialet'

With that set-up I can also try my mac / apple tv / Sony tv either all connected to the Netgear or to the ER A side and see if that affects the 'noise' getting through to the CX (hoping the 'moat' will catch most of it)

Yeah, give it a go and see what you think compared to the ER between CX and Devialet.  As there is not consensus regarding this setup on this forum, your thoughts would be appreciated too.

4 hours ago, wikeeboy said:

I'm not using anything special at the moment for streaming, just a Cullen/W4S modified Sonos in to a Mutec MC3+USB.

Everyone here seems to be very happy with these regens so for what is a relatively modest outlay i might have a crack :)

My hunch is that you would get benefit from adding an ER in your setup.  How much benfit is hard to say.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was already impressed with ER, and tried to charge with Paul Hynes SR4, Farad, and Gieseler, every LPS does make improvement in sound quality over SMPS.

Now, I have bought another ER and paired with another one, have tried using SPF (from A to B sides) and CAT6 (connecting with Mutec Ref. 10 master clock), it turned out the CAT6 is way better than SPF.

Adding another ER does make a day and night difference, at least to me. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, mitchlim said:

Now, I have bought another ER and paired with another one, have tried using SPF (from A to B sides) and CAT6 (connecting with Mutec Ref. 10 master clock), it turned out the CAT6 is way better than SPF.

Sorry, I am a bit puzzled.

I assume you mean you tried fibre between the 2 ERs, but preferred Cat 6.

Fibre can only go Side A to Side A.  But CAT 6 can go a few ways.  I imagine it should be best ER1 Side B > ER2 Side A.  In other works, 'cleanest' side out of ER1.

Is Mutec clock connected to both ERs?

I assume you mean you tried fibre between the 2 ERs, but preferred Cat 6 - YES

Fibre can only go Side A to Side A - Yes, but I have friends, they prefer this way 

Is Mutec clock connected to both ERs - YES 

7 hours ago, mitchlim said:

I assume you mean you tried fibre between the 2 ERs, but preferred Cat 6 - YES

Fibre can only go Side A to Side A - Yes, but I have friends, they prefer this way 

Is Mutec clock connected to both ERs - YES 

You may wish to reconsider attaching the external clock across both moats.  This may defeat the isolation by providing a means for electrical connection across both ERs.  I would use the clock on the down stream ER only if it was me.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I got an etheregen about three weeks back and then a week later got the aliexpress(bg7tbl square wave) external clock with a lv77s word clock cable from ebay . Must say each one has  made a difference to streaming from my NAS and Tidal.

Hi there,

Just an update on my journey.  I was fortunate to loan a 2nd ER and experimented with where to put it.

My ethernet system has become quite elaborate and untidy but sounds awesome as follows (bold is the 2nd ER) ...

nbn connection box > several metres generic Cat 5e UTP > wall outlet > AfterDark Cat 7 > ER Side B -MOAT - Side A > 3m Single Mode Fibre > EdgeRouter SFP  > Synergistic Research Atmos X Ref > Antipodes EX  > WireWorld Platinum > ER Side A > ER MOAT >  ER Side B > Shunyata Sigma > Gigafoil v4 > JCAT > Gigafoilv4 > SR Atmos X Ref > Devialet; 

Note isolation is italic.  In total 6 layers of isolation!  Is there no end?! This noise floor seems to be a bottomless pit.

The 2nd ER replaced ...

nbn > Cat 8 > generic media fibre convertor > 10m single mode fibre > EdgeRouter

In my situation, the current config of 2nd ER benefits from being on a Tranquillity POD, a better power supply, Shunyata power cord, and my power conditioner and rest of the power delivery I have.  So it is not surprising it is better in that location.  BUT it is not a big difference - probably small but still obvious.  Is it worth it?  Well, it will be hard to take out.

I did briefly try it just upstream of EX, and also just downstream of EX ... and in the latter location, I did try:

- ER > fibre > ER, and

- ER > Atmos X Ref > ER. 

The latter was better, but by an even smaller margin than the current location.  So that is a AU$1500 cable -v- AU$200 (Afterdark SFP + fibre package).  Fibre seems very good value in this context (ie. this far upstream).  Of course there is lower cost fibre too - say from fs.com would cost about $50 for generic stuff, and lower cost copper ethernet too.

If I can be bothered, I will try lower cost ethernet cables to find the dollar value where the fibre and copper perform similarly.

Edited by dbastin
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, seems to be a bit of this going on atm. I am also playing with a 2nd ER.  Are you saying the 1st config

(nbn connection box > several metres generic Cat 5e UTP > wall outlet > AfterDark Cat 7 > ER Side B -MOAT - Side A > 3m Single Mode Fibre > EdgeRouter SFP  > Synergistic Research Atmos X Ref > Antipodes EX  > WireWorld Platinum > ER Side A > ER MOAT >  ER Side B > Shunyata Sigma > Gigafoil v4 > JCAT > Gigafoilv4 > SR Atmos X Ref > Devialet; )

or 2nd config  downstream of EX (ER- fibre/cat# ER)

is better?

I have tried the 2nd and like it a lot with finisar fibre. I also have a cheap ocxo clock which is a nice little uptick in quality also. .