Dual sub, ported + sealed ?

In my space I only have room under my screen for a 400mm high sub so I was considering the SVS SB3000 which comes in at a handy 397mm . However I might like to get dual subs , one at the front and one at the back. In this case, would it be advantageous to get the SVS PB3000 at the rear since I won't have height restrictions?

Thanks in advance

No. I'm not sure, just going by the general guidance of YouTube :) That dual subs is better and more even.

I really don't know what model would suit my space, I have a VAF LFE-07 that is fairly underpowered at 250W maximum output.

My room is 4M wide by 5M deep and high vaulted ceilings ( 11 foot )

based on you tube vids ie: "subwoofer 101" he prefers 2 subs to one, but the 2 can come from the next model down  ie: 2x pb2000's over 1x pb3000 etc.

that room is a good size.. possibly look for a svs pb2000 on runout and try to team it with the vaf. use the svs at the front and the vaf behind your seating.

what avr/amps do you run?

Few questions in what keen to achieve :)

ported in av tend to be larger more aimed for output 

sealed usually more controlled but also limited in output - unless coupled with some serious power and drivers

any work done to establish best place for subs ?

one up front one rear does work abd is the Harman optimum setup however beware each sub can also completely neutralise each other :D 

the rear sub is likely just to equalise but don’t make as large in capability as front sub consider it a master slave situation where large sub upfront is for heavy lifting small at back for Just  some equalising 

more important is location location location 

location of front sub location of other speakers in room and location of main  listening position

I found in most rooms what seems to work very well is rule of 3rds

ie main listening position at 2/3rd room depth ... this makes sure not sitting in middle of the room where often a null exists ... no amount of subs will fix this ... also makes Sure not sitting with back to wall in the room where often there are bass gains and end up having to kill the bass in that case removing head room will have and the punch :)

crucial if using dual subs is also a measurement and eq system that considers the dual subs. Eg audyssey xt32 which considers both subs and measures eqs and  sets them up appropriately considering the room and other speakers and main listening and other listening positions :)

8 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

possibly look for a svs pb2000 on runout

I'd rather the 2000 pro

try to team it with the vaf. use the svs at the front and the vaf behind your seating.

Never thought of that, you don't need to match the subs at all?

what avr/amps do you run?

Integra pre-pro + 2 x Yamaha RX-V1 gold versions ( yep, they look and sound the part )

7 hours ago, betty boop said:

any work done to establish best place for subs ?

yes, guess work :)

however beware each sub can also completely neutralise each other

oh, not good

Also makes Sure not sitting with back to wall in the room

this is fine, there's some good 5 feet to a curtain ( not a wall )

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2019 at 7:05 PM, powerinnumbers said:

you don't need to match the subs at all?

no, but ideally you should be able to apply EQ and delay separately to each sub to make integration easier, and make sure you're not driving either sub too hard (especially the less capable one) - distortion sounds bad and will allow your brain to "locate" the sub/s

Mike