Sign in to follow this  
Guest scumbag

What the hell happened to civil discussion on this forum

5 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

But he is biased, and his evaluations are influenced by those biases.

He's fair and balanced, like FOX News is :lol:

EVERYONE is biased.  as long as you know what that bias is, you are generally fine.  If those bias are close to yours, even better  -  or not depending on the situation.

Michael Fremer is biased in everyone of his reviews, however he is very consistent and accurate in how he listens and writes about his listening.

If you understand that and can bring some of his listening bias into your listening and system, a reviewer like him can be very helpful.

Edited by metal beat

Guest Muon N'
1 minute ago, Marc said:

Again, we're drifting away from the point of the topic now.

Yes, I'm in part at fault here, sometimes I take the troll bait.

Sorry.

2 hours ago, aussievintage said:

If there is no existing, reasonable thread, you should feel free to start a new thread in my opinion anyway.  You should NOT let worries about it being shutdown stop you before you even start.

I totally agree with this.

2 hours ago, Ittaku said:

I think if someone wants a thread to be devoid of anything but subjective impressions they should start one and state it outright. Title it "Subjective impressions of etherregen" for example, and state so in the opening post. Most people would respect that, and reporting anything outside that should get the posts deleted.

I like this idea.  Maybe there could be a “subjective listening impressions” sub forum and an “objective measurement / equipment testing” sub forum.  That way products such as the Ethernet-Regen can be discussed in both aspects but in different subsections.  Perhaps a pinned post in each sub forum explaining some ground rules for each area?

2 hours ago, Marc said:

Unfortunately some threads get out of control in a manner of minutes and there's no possible way to come back from there - these have to be closed. Other times, as you know, we will close, clean, give warnings if required, then reopen them.

Can we please re-open

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/293706-uptone-audio-etherregen-game-changer-or-hype/

When I started it, I (naively in hindsight) expected some discussions, but not the heated debate that it generated. Yes, I do know it got closed at least 3 times and it creates work for you and your moderator team.  But I am hoping to use that thread as a release valve for my EtherRegen owner's thread and thus keep the owner's thread relatively free of heat!

24 minutes ago, Snoopy8 said:

Can we please re-open

https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/293706-uptone-audio-etherregen-game-changer-or-hype/

When I started it, I (naively in hindsight) expected some discussions, but not the heated debate that it generated. Yes, I do know it got closed at least 3 times and it creates work for you and your moderator team.  But I am hoping to use that thread as a release valve for my EtherRegen owner's thread and thus keep the owner's thread relatively free of heat!

Any thread that has been closed three times should not be resurrected . I am almost certain that the mod team have lives to live and better things to do than keeping a thread like that under watch

As for members' behaviour, it is a simple matter of treating (and responding to ) people as you would like them to treat and respond to you. This may sound trite and dated but it definitely works. I do not claim angel status but I never knowingly insult, demean or belittle anybody and I am pretty sure that most other members are the same.

One thing that I really detest, is where an OP knowingly lights the fuse on an incendiary topic whilst proclaiming innocence and then proceeds to disappear from view to watch the inevitable train wreck in slow motion.

Guest scumbag
2 hours ago, metal beat said:

so you haven't heard it,  yet you know how Amir reviews and hears . 

LOL   and you are complaining about threads being closed down.

LOL indeed. 

"Listening Tests
...................So I started with my generic switch connection and started to stream some of my reference quality content. While the music was playing, I switched Ethernet cables, this time having Port B of EtherRegen feeding the Matrix i. There was absolutely no audible difference. I then switched back to generic switch feed. No difference. I switched back to EtherRegen. No difference. None. Nothing. image.gif.9a25bc954f42c61f928e740b89020ed5.gif"

Sighted test.

"Listening Tests
I hooked up the Modi 2 to the excellent SMSL THX SP200 headphone amplifier and used my Sennheiser HD-650 headphones for comparisons. I queued up an excellent track with great soundstage and detail and played it without the Jitter bug through Roon player. I then disconnected and quickly reconnected using JitterBug. Roon is nice in the way it reinitialized the USB device and was ready to play in around 5 seconds. While too long for any definitive judgments, I hear no difference at all. I then took out the JitterBug and the result was the same."

Sighted test

Edited by scumbag

13 minutes ago, scumbag said:

LOL indeed. 

"Listening Tests
...................So I started with my generic switch connection and started to stream some of my reference quality content. While the music was playing, I switched Ethernet cables, this time having Port B of EtherRegen feeding the Matrix i. There was absolutely no audible difference. I then switched back to generic switch feed. No difference. I switched back to EtherRegen. No difference. None. Nothing. image.gif.9a25bc954f42c61f928e740b89020ed5.gif"

Sighted test.

Off topic!

Guest scumbag
2 minutes ago, Marc said:

Off topic!

Yes, off topic but I couldn't resist.😯

Hugely difficult thing this Internet. Although we all share the same hobby it certainly doesn’t mean we all  get along. Some people have difficult personalities, some are abrupt, some lack social skills, some (but not many) are simply trolls and ars#holes.

We have lost some highly technically gifted individuals from this forum who could be highly opinionated, even rude and belittling, but their technical knowledge was often invaluable.  Balancing the often fine line between open debate and outright hostility is a nightmare I am glad I do not have to moderate.

I am happy that I do not have anyone on my ignore list but as others have suggested I think it is a valuable tool to stop those that grind your gears from sending you into white hot rage.

I was an Outback guide for fifteen years. People would always say it must be a dream job. My response was that line up ten people and I am sure I will detest one of them. Stick them in a Troop Carrier for two weeks in the blinding heat and you need the patience of SoIomon. I take council from that wise old sage Bill Murray who advised the groundhog,  “don’t drive angry”. I always try to remember not to type angry. As others have suggested we all need to show each other respect and tolerance, not always easy when you don’t feel it is being bestowed on you.

Sadly, the OP has deleted their account here (hence the Guest posts). 

A very real problem...for which I have no solution...is that there is a large number of forum members that stopped posting their listening impressions of cables and other devices/tweaks due to the inevitable responses. We are completely missing their input and that's a real bummer.

Most members do aim for mutual respect and politeness but when one side's argument is effectively "you imagined it" and that gets repeated ad nauseam, then it's easy to understand if the other side is already a bit offended, regardless of the language used.

Guest Muon N'
6 minutes ago, Marc said:

Sadly, the OP has deleted their account here (hence the Guest posts). 

Indeed.

Guest Muon N'

Was interesting to hear some members opinions here, so often people don't let vocalise how they feel around some matters :(

Oh, well, was looking good for a while.

34 minutes ago, JDWest said:

A very real problem...for which I have no solution...is that there is a large number of forum members that stopped posting their listening impressions of cables and other devices/tweaks due to the inevitable responses. We are completely missing their input and that's a real bummer.

Most members do aim for mutual respect and politeness but when one side's argument is effectively "you imagined it" and that gets repeated ad nauseam, then it's easy to understand if the other side is already a bit offended, regardless of the language used.

That works both ways though. When someone starts telling you (ad nauseam) your ears must not be as well educated, or your system must not be "sufficiently resolving", if you can't hear a difference, and can offer logical, scientific reasons why, and completely dismissing your electronics background and experience.

15 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

That works both ways though. When someone starts telling you (ad nauseam) your ears must not be as well educated, or your system must not be "sufficiently resolving", if you can't hear a difference, and can offer logical, scientific reasons why, and completely dismissing your electronics background and experience.

Well in that scenario you have actually done a listening test of the product in question and your observations should be respected.

1 hour ago, Ooogh said:

Some people have difficult personalities, some are abrupt, some lack social skills, 

Balancing the often fine line between open debate and outright hostility is a nightmare

This goes both ways. 

Some read into things and are offended very easily without any rational cause. Just because something is said in as few words as possible doesn't mean it is rude or an attack at all. Seems to me like on most of the internet, it is the irrational and easily upset who escalate it.

The solution? There is none. It is human nature but it is a shame to lose anyone here especially Mark who I have met and has a great little audio cave with many cool gadgets and DIY. A great experimenter and lovely man. Zaph is another great loss and there are many more no doubt. I am glad Sime is back

Guest Muon N'
46 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

But why are they reacting in that way?

What has been posted to get that reaction?

Have they been brow beaten to where they are aggravated?

@Ooogh's comment is right on the money, however a "critical mass" (a proportion of SNAers, as well as people of all other walks of life everywhere) either do not see it that way or do not realise the nuances.

On top of that - people see what they're already familiar with - physically. Things we see are only 20-40% data that we obtain via optic nerve/eye/pupil/outside world 'in real time'. There is about 60-80% of the content that's reconstructed/interpolated in the visual cortex (brain) - based on the things we've already learnt/seen/experienced previously. I think this is reciprocated in the thinking/opinions/attitudes accordingly.

Hence personal viewpoint/opinion is so over-appreciated and the point of view of others that contrast/contradict our own ignored/belittled/denigrated - more or less readily, with more or less zeal depending on how close to the bone the issue cuts.

...something something hell, something something hand-basket....

Edited by zippi

I just think some folk lack decent people skills.....and have no idea what they even are and......Alas:emot-bang: 

28 minutes ago, Mendes said:

I just think some folk lack decent people skills.....and have no idea what they even are and......Alas:emot-bang: 

I totally agree.

There are some fragile / insecure / nonsense egos which are best left alone.

They cant offload their BS elsewhere so they've gotta "own it" on an internet forum. 🤣

What happened to the OP?

Ragequit?

7 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

What happened to the OP?

Ragequit?

Apparently so.

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

But why are they reacting in that way?

What has been posted to get that reaction?

Have they been brow beaten to where they are aggravated?

15 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

What happened to the OP?

Ragequit?

Think the OP has been considering quitting for quite some time, it was probably inevitable. I will miss his contributions.