Sign in to follow this  
electrotek

Advice - Buying Vinyl - Avoid Amazon AU (Poor Packing)

This seems the most suited forum for this, but happy for mods to move to elsewhere if necessary.

Since starting, Amazon Australia has shown scant regard for ensuring vinyl is sent packed protected sufficiently to not get damaged during transit.

If 1 record is being sent, Amazon AU will use a vinyl mailer. For the most part, no problems.

HOWEVER if 1 record & other media is being sent together, or more than 1 record is being sent, Amazon AU will put the vinyl records in a larger box AS IS. No vinyl mailer. No protection. If you're lucky, very lucky, it'll arrive undamaged.

This differs from other Amazon countries which, when they could ship to Australia, ensured vinyl mailers on every record, even if put in a box.

Amazon Australia have done this since they've started 2 years ago, and continue doing it as recently as last week (as I found out the hard way).

Edited by electrotek

My Amazon vinyl orders get shipped from the East Coast to here in the West, and even single records will sometimes come in a vinyl mailer or in an oversized box with little/no internal packaging, yet despite this, in over 50-60 records over the last 18 months received from Amazon, mostly in these oversized packages, I haven't had a single issue with them upon arrival.

The Amazon packaging is terrible but so far none of the vinyl I have received has been damaged. More luck that quality packaging in my opinion.

Yes the packaging lacks but I haven't had one damaged yet.

I am finding Amazon by far the cheapest and quickest method of buying Vinyl. The prices seem to fluctuate so it pays to keep a close eye. I was eyeing off a record recently at $76, a few days later it was $52. I nabbed one at that price and now its back to $76.....

Firm agree on all replies.

I have bought a decent amount of LPs from Amazon this year, packaged as described by the OP (Single LP = Vinyl Mailer -- More than one = Huge box with stupid inflated plastic bags) but only had a single issue last week (inner sleeve glue seam was split and the 180g record slightly warped) Which upon receiving the replacement in 2 days! had to have been a production issue as both copies I recieved, packaged differently, had the exact same issues.

Amazon were more than reasonable dealing with my issues giving me a full refund literally 5 minutes after the replacement package was marked as recieved and also not requiring me to return the 2 copies in my posession and removing the item from sale on the website.

I've had worse experience at JB Hi-Fi with a brand new record having scratches or pressing flaws, and paying considerably more for it and having to drive to the store to buy it/return it.

IMO the problem doesn't lie with the retailers, whether online or otherwise, but the production facilities, QC, artists not getting paid enough in the first place etc. Especially agree with Kelossus to make a 'wishlist' and check it daily as the prices fluctuate quite considerably and unpredictably, there are some serious bargains to be had.

Thanks for this post. Is there another retailer that does this better? I'm thinking of starting a new collection and be great to have a few 'go to; places.

I avoid Amazon.au - their creation helped extend GST payements for trivial purchases overseas, their range is no where what the US Amazon site has (which we now can't use), and their warehousing has allegedly dubious staffing/employment practices.  I also buy few new records.

On 09/01/2020 at 12:49 PM, audiofeline said:

I avoid Amazon.au - their creation helped extend GST payements for trivial purchases overseas, their range is no where what the US Amazon site has (which we now can't use), and their warehousing has allegedly dubious staffing/employment practices.  I also buy few new records.

Shipping to Australia from US Amazon resumed on 22 November, 2018. They now collect GST on purchase (you'll see it at checkout). All other Amazon sites continue to block us.

Edited by electrotek

On 09/01/2020 at 8:56 AM, Elizabeth said:

Thanks for this post. Is there another retailer that does this better? I'm thinking of starting a new collection and be great to have a few 'go to; places.

Never had an issue with any record store. They know what they're doing.

HMV japan do it best :) 

EAF2BB99-06BC-469C-AF9D-4B21A07412CB.jpeg