Addicted to music

Speed cameras targeting 6 lanes in either direction

In addition to the "tricks I described earlier I have also fully calibrated my speedo so I know near as damn it my real speed at 100 kph mine reading 3 k fast.

On 13/12/2019 at 1:28 PM, Addicted to music said:

My advise is to travel well within the limits when you’re approaching or in  a tunnel,  bridge or overpass, parked vehicles where mobile units that are station wagons or utes that are heavily tinted and approaching overpasses, this is where highway patrol hangs out, they hid themselves  on the on ramp of highways so as you pass the use radar from behind.

I did a run to Sydney mid-week (~185 km each way).

Everyone already slows down in the tunnels, as slow as 20 under the limit. Just try to avoid collisions and stick with the traffic.

On the highway, if you try to stick to the limit, you'l be changing lanes all day to avoid the fast loonies and all the slow loonies. Seems they all believe their speedo is correct.

17 hours ago, agelessgoodguy said:

In addition to the "tricks I described earlier I have also fully calibrated my speedo so I know near as damn it my real speed at 100 kph mine reading 3 k fast.

I normally drop around 10km/hr slower where there’s  fixed or mobile cameras..  it’s my way of giving them “The middle finger”  😜

5 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

I normally drop around 10km/hr slower where there’s  fixed or mobile cameras..  it’s my way of giving them “The middle finger”  😜

Alas that isn't giving the finger to the mobile camera people, it's doing it to the other poor drivers following you who have to hit the brakes as you've needlessly slowed down and then have to speed up when you decide you can drive at the speed limit again. That habit is one of the most frustrating on Australian roads and doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

3 hours ago, Hergest said:

Alas that isn't giving the finger to the mobile camera people, it's doing it to the other poor drivers following you who have to hit the brakes as you've needlessly s.

No it’s not it’s saving you a bill in the mail.... Either slow down, rear end someone, or cop a fine,  your choice...

my choice is keep at least 3 sec from the vehicle in front and to slow down.  And if you have an issue with that then you can always overtake....   but overtaking usually exceeds the speed limit....  so when someone slows down take note, they do it for a reason,  A good driver keeps a least 3sec distance that equates to 50mts in front of the vehicle in front at 100km/hr...  

You are not breaking the law travelling under the speed limit..

3 hours ago, Hergest said:

. That habit is one of the most frustrating on Australian roads and doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to me.

Then don’t drive if you have that attitude,   Driving require patience and curtesy on the roads....

Edited by Addicted to music

9 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Driving require patience and curtesy on the roads....

Until you are confronted with... the idiot....

16 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Driving require patience and curtesy on the roads....

Whats courteous about suddenly driving below the speed limit and impacting on other road users because there's a speed camera? That attitude strikes me as bizarre. Just drive at the speed limit. You won't get booked and you won't be a menace to other drivers.

19 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

Edited by Hergest

7 hours ago, Hergest said:

Whats courteous about suddenly driving below the speed limit and impacting on other road users because there's a speed camera? That attitude strikes me as bizarre. Just drive at the speed limit. You won't get booked and you won't be a menace to other drivers.

Read the previous post, I find your reaction bizarre and unwarranted.

Do you trust your speedo?  Do you trust fixed or mobile camera calibration?  If you answer yes to both of these questions then be prepare to fight a bill in the mail.  I know police officers in this position!   How many times on the news have we seen that the fixed cameras were not calibrated correctly and people end up loosing there licence?   For no reason at all!   It happens in every state that deploys them!   There are tonnes of cameras that have been on the news where they were not set up correctly and what’s the acceptance they give in Victoria +3km/hr over, that’s it....  All along the Ring RD the cameras were shut down becuase of inaccuracies, lack of maintenance and just pure and simple not set up correctly.   Along the start of the Hume from Melb are timed speed cameras all the way up to the Puckapunyal  had to be switched off because of the same reason,   Would you like to be the 1st to see that bill in the mail, good luck in fighting it.   People like me require a full licence to be employed, so if you think slowing down on a fixed or mobile speed camera point is an inconvenience then overtake!    

8 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Read the previous post, I find your reaction bizarre and unwarranted.

Do you trust your speedo?  Do you trust fixed or mobile camera calibration?  If you answer yes to both of these questions then be prepare to fight a bill in the mail.  I know police officers in this position!   How many times on the news have we seen that the fixed cameras were not calibrated correctly and people end up loosing there licence?   For no reason at all!   It happens in every state that deploys them!   There are tonnes of cameras that have been on the news where they were not set up correctly and what’s the acceptance they give in Victoria +3km/hr over, that’s it....  All along the Ring RD the cameras were shut down becuase of inaccuracies, lack of maintenance and just pure and simple not set up correctly.   Along the start of the Hume from Melb are timed speed cameras all the way up to the Puckapunyal  had to be switched off because of the same reason,   Would you like to be the 1st to see that bill in the mail, good luck in fighting it.   People like me require a full licence to be employed, so if you think slowing down on a fixed or mobile speed camera point is an inconvenience then overtake!    

You really are over reacting both here and in dropping 10 km/h when you see a camera especially when you consider that by dropping 10 km/h you're in effect dropping 13 km/h as far as a fine being issued is concerned. Overtaking is clearly not an option as once the inconvenienced driver behind you has slowed down due to your unexpected drop in speed, has checked their mirror, made sure they can pass safely and then started to overtake you've speeded up again which leaves the other driver stuck. To slow down unnecessarily and then speed up is so inconsiderate to other road users. 

If as you claim all those cameras have been shut off due to inaccuracies then I would say that disputing a fine from one would be a very simple process as there are tonnes of them that are on the news all the time in every state. Can't say I've ever had one from either a fixed or mobile camera and I don't slow down when I see one, just remain at the legal speed limit which I was travelling at in the first place and not inconveniencing the drivers behind me.

50 minutes ago, Hergest said:

You really are over reacting both here and in dropping 10 km/h when you see a camera especially when you consider that by dropping 10 .

You know what, when I think about it it’s not just me that drops the speed, go down and road or highway the traffic just slows down naturally when a fixed or mobile camera is present......   

By dropping the speed also prevents others from coping a bill in the mail..  if you’re one that think they can never get a fine because you have actual faith in your speedometer and the way they calibrate those cameras there is nothing stopping you from sitting on 100km/hr and if you think your being inconvenienced by not receiving a bill in the mail than overtake, nothing stopping you from overtaking!   Normally there’s at least more than 2 lanes....   traffic comes to a slow and stops for certain reasons,  that’s every time you are out on the road, so live with it or stay off  the road. 

1 hour ago, Hergest said:

If as you claim all those cameras have been shut off due to inaccuracies then I would say that disputing a fine from one would be a very simple process as there are tonnes of them that are on the news all the time in every state. Can't say I've ever had one from either a fixed or mobile camera and I don't slow down when I see one, just remain at the legal speed limit which I was travelling at in the first place and not inconveniencing the drivers behind me.

I travel along the Ring Rd that’s riddled with fixed cameras every day of the week,  when they had that incident of a lack of maintenance and when the news was flooded with reports of vehicles that were tested that could reach those detected speeds I have never been done!   

Even on the Hume that has timed Speed cameras.   In fact in the Burnley Tunnel a truck was detected going at 170km/hr in peak hour traffic,  if it wasn’t someone in the dept on the ball that truck driver would have been fighting the charges and losing his licence.

Fighting the process isn’t easy,  as mentioned before,  at some detected speeds you loose your licence,  by the time they realised there’s an issue with one of the cameras it’s too late, people like me will loose their job because my income requires me to have a full licence,  so if you think that im overreacting yes,  I’m not prepared to loose my job! 

I certainly would not "loose" my licence nor my job (if I had one) I could "lose" them though.

By slowing your speed and banking up traffic behind you for no good reason, you could be asked to explain as by deliberately going slower and obstructing traffic you may also be committing an offence.

Slowing for a speed camera when you are already below the limit is to me an unreasonable action, could and probably does create problems for others, we need less of that.

19 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

Until you are confronted with... the idiot....

Like people who travel way under the speed limit or slow done unnecessarily for what they think is a hazard, like speed cameras, or drive around corners with their brakes on or don't know how to use roundabouts or that a green arrow signal does mean that you can proceed, promptly, etc.

Edited by ArthurDent

Guest Muon N'

Drivers that also annoy me are the ones that give way to you when they have right of way, It's nice to be nice to others but not when they are inviting you to break the road rules. :S

On 16/12/2019 at 5:52 PM, Muon N' said:

Drivers that also annoy me are the ones that give way to you when they have right of way, It's nice to be nice to others but not when they are inviting you to break the road rules. :S

How about the ones that will indicate one way and turn another!?

6 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Geeze...........if anyone else drove, let alone parked on a bike track, I'd reckon you'd be booked and towed pretty quickly!

9 minutes ago, LogicprObe said:

Geeze...........if anyone else drove, let alone parked on a bike track, I'd reckon you'd be booked and towed pretty quickly!

Yep, 

double standards,  anything to get revenue.  

Someone should sneak up, removed the number plates and use it in a vehicle to trigger those cameras.....wouldn’t that be fun!   :D

Not that I condone that behaviour.

Speed and expect to get caught. 

I seriously don’t understand the counter argument. 

Guest Muon N'
40 minutes ago, Sime said:

Speed and expect to get caught. 

I seriously don’t understand the counter argument. 

There is no counter arguments, only frail attempts at justifications :thumb:

The criticism of that speed camera van is just petty, a safety hazard? only if you are riding a bike blind or blind drunk. Inconvenience? get over it.

12 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Definitely should not be parked on a bike path, blocking at least 75% of its width by the look of it. I'd like to see them get booked for that! Setting a bad example in order to book other people doing the wrong thing is not a good look. 

Edited by emesbee

Show me a law that says authorized vehicles can’t park where they are authorized to do so?

nice try though. 

Well I assume it is technically legal for 'authorised vehicles', but blocking a public access path for those reasons is not a very good idea in my opinion. (I'm not just thinking of cyclists, but also people in wheelchairs etc.) If they want to park a camera van to catch speeders then it should at least be placed where it will not cause an obstruction, maybe even in full view so that its presence would cause speeders to slow down.

Guest Muon N'

A wheelchairs can pass that, unless It's a tandem wheelchair and I haven't seen any of those.

'authorised vehicles' can pretty much park or be driven anywhere when required, and that discretion is not up to the average joe public to decide.