Addicted to music

Speed cameras targeting 6 lanes in either direction

Heads up, 

Victoria has launched mobile speed cameras in vehicles that can monitor six lanes in either direction,  I have personally cross paths with a few possible in trial,  it is launched today so when you see a vehicle in either direction parked on the medium strip with dark tinted windows that’s a station wagon, slow down! 

They will also be launching high resolution cameras to catch phone users, like the ones being used in NSW.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/speed-cameras-victoria-new-advanced-technology-to-catch-speeding-drivers/c1a63e4d-188c-48e3-9b3d-6c764ad3f08b

"It is hoped the new advanced camera system will be an effective way to stem these road fatalities."

Oh dear.... where do you start with statements like this.... :unsure:

There is so much wrong with a lot of the driving on the roads these days that cause accidents which have very little to do with speed.

I guess all we have to do to fix the road toll is drop the speed limit down from 100 to 80..... :wacko: 

Errrr yep that'll do it.... :frantics:

Guest Muon N'

Never understood the need to speed, It's not like you get to your destination sooner by a factor that means much. I guess it's an mind set/attitude.

My bug bear is people not indicating their intentions, makes for some very close calls, and some too close.

4 hours ago, betty boop said:

Thanks for heads up on new form of Revenue raising ...

Let’s face it, every time I see one of these mobile camera set up it’s placed in an area that’s easy to speed where the likelihood of someone causing a fatality is zero.   Yep, pure and simple revenue raising. 

4 hours ago, Martykt said:

"It is hoped the new advanced camera system will be an effective way to stem these road fatalities."

Oh dear.... where do you start with statements like this.... :unsure:

There is so much wrong with a lot of the driving on the roads these days that cause accidents which have very little to do with speed.

I guess all we have to do to fix the road toll is drop the speed limit down from 100 to 80..... :wacko: 

Errrr yep that'll do it.... :frantics:

Let’s face it, the road toll is climbing because the numbers on the road is climbing, they have done just about everything including reducing speed limits and still it’s going up....

we are all responsible for road use and agreed, speed isn’t the only contributing factor.

5 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Never understood the need to speed, It's not like you get to your destination sooner by a factor that means much. I guess it's an mind set/attitude.

My bug bear is people not indicating their intentions, makes for some very close calls, and some too close.

My issue is not "speeding" per se as those buggers who rip past you on freeways/roads like your standing still deserve to get whacked its more of a case of they get you for just a few over (and the whole bulls**t of there guns are better calibrated than the speedo's on our vehicles). Said it once and i'll say it again in my view its way more dangerous constantly monitoring your speedo to ensure your not doing any more than 5 over than keeping your eyes on the damn road but appreciate there are other opinions on this.

But yeah the lack of indication is just pure selfishness and/or laziness and erks the hell out of me also. Used to really enjoy driving but not so much these days as the congestion causes too much agro  along with the "to hell with you im first so im not letting you into to the merging lane mentality"

Edited by Tubularbells
spelling

Yeah............when I cross the border I have to drive like a 90 year old.

It is nearly as dangerous as fooling with your phone keeping a watchful eye on your speedo and an eye out for cameras.

4 hours ago, Addicted to music said:

Let’s face it, the road toll is climbing because the numbers on the road is climbing, they have done just about everything including reducing speed limits and still it’s going up....

we are all responsible for road use and agreed, speed isn’t the only contributing factor.

Actually the road toll is falling, both in absolute and per capita terms

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Australia_by_year

The lame "don't speed and won't get caught" line lacks credibility in the real world  , when you can set your cruise control like I do and the car will momentarily go above the speed set going down hills and sometimes when automatically accelerating up steep hills.

You're pinged if a speed camera is there at the wrong moment.

Good old days they only nabbed drivers on level ground but nowadays any which way they can.

I got nabbed at 45 on Warrigal Rd. And Beresford Rd with my cruise control on, must have been guilty of short inattention to monitoring the speedo constantly! 🙄

50 minutes ago, evil c said:

The lame "don't speed and won't get caught" line lacks credibility in the real world  , when you can set your cruise control like I do and the car will momentarily go above the speed set going down hills and sometimes when automatically accelerating up steep hills.

You're pinged if a speed camera is there at the wrong moment.

Good old days they only nabbed drivers on level ground but nowadays any which way they can.

I got nabbed at 45 on Warrigal Rd. And Beresford Rd with my cruise control on, must have been guilty of short inattention to monitoring the speedo constantly! 🙄

Warrigal RD where Beresford Rd intersect is a shopping area and the limit is down to 40km/hr.....

watched those roads that have shop fronts the speed limit lowers.....  there’s a multiple of fixed speed cameras along that stretch.....  in fact all along Warrigal Rd I’ve seen them sit there in a mobile unit on the medium strip from down Kingston right to that point...  Speed changes in every stretch. 

1 hour ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

Actually the road toll is falling, both in absolute and per capita terms

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_Australia_by_year

That’s not up to date, vic is up 27% compared to 2018 it’s back on the rise.

http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/statistics/lives-lost-year-to-date

lots of cops on bikes on urban streets nailing people for mobile phone use. I saw a couple of people cop it on swan street, richmond in the few minutes I was stopped in traffic. Big fines, I hope. 

1 hour ago, evil c said:

Actually my cruise control does apply braking to keep you below the limit.  It would have to be a steep hill to trick it into allow overspeeding.   I would estimate the error never gets above 2km/hr.

9 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Yes, I just set the cruise control as often as I can.  Because I have the camera/radar that keeps me a set distance behind the car in front, I seldom have to alter it.

My bug bear, although it probably doesn't cause accidents, is people who creep up to lights, hoping they'll change to green before they get there - so annoying when you want to turn left and can't get into the filter lane because of them.

7 minutes ago, buddyev said:

lots of cops on bikes on urban streets nailing people for mobile phone use. I saw a couple of people cop it on swan street, richmond in the few minutes I was stopped in traffic. Big fines, I hope. 

I’ve seen this set up, 

they have someone plan clothed one end and then radio ahead on uniform about 100mtr down so they stop you with a nice fine....  even if you’re sitting stationary in traffic going nowhere where you can’t be blind and hurt people or cause damage......

Edited by Addicted to music

12 minutes ago, Addicted to music said:

That’s not up to date, vic is up 27% compared to 2018 it’s back on the rise.

http://www.tac.vic.gov.au/road-safety/statistics/lives-lost-year-to-date

Nothing moves in a straight line. The overall trend over decades is unarguably down. 

5 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Actually my cruise control does apply braking to keep you below the limit.  It would have to be a steep hill to trick it into allow overspeeding.   I would estimate the error never gets above 2km/hr.

Yeah varies with different cars, our CX5 brakes and Honda accord doesn't. 

@evil c you probably dont have the adaptive cruise or active cruise control car can have these days. ie they also jump on the brakes to keep to limit, rather than just back off on the throttle.

all that said .who on heck is going to be using cruise control around streets of melbourne anyways to stay on under limit. that is crazy thing in itself. the way speeds jump around all over the place ! 40, 50, 60, 70, 80,90, 100 and even 110 on outskirts. setting and adjusting cruise control on run is taking eyes off road and would be quite distracting in itself. 

whether 40 or 45 ? does that mean you die or injure at 45 and dont at 40 ? what kind of ludicrous stupidity of argument is that ? its revenue raising... or not at the present with the police who at present with their strike action refusing to pass on speeding fines.

we have some complete farce of situations too...eg the 80 km/h limits on freeways with 5 lanes ! and these are ones with emergency lanes and also adjustable limits... however they never adjust just stay on 80 or drop to 60

6 minutes ago, betty boop said:

speeds jump around all over the place ! 40, 50, 60, 70, 80,90, 100

Well that just should not be allowed.  I would rather be forced to travel at some good compromise for the whole distance.

19 minutes ago, betty boop said:

whether 40 or 45 ? does that mean you die or injure at 45 and dont at 40 ? what kind of ludicrous stupidity of argument is that ?

On a wet road the difference in stopping distance between 40 and 50 is 11 metres. 

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/safety/road-safety/driving-safely/stopping-distances

Not enough to kill?

in any event, even if it is just revenue raising, it’s easy just to stick to the speed limit. Really, it is. 

Edited by sir sanders zingmore

4 minutes ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

On a wet road the difference in stopping distance between 40 and 50 is 11 metres.

The problem with those arguments are that there's even less stopping distance at 30 and even less at 20... and so on, so it's an argument without any meaningful absolute reference except for 0km/h. I'm not saying this is an argument against sticking to the speed limit, just pointing out arbitrary references are meaningless as an argument.

50 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Well that just should not be allowed.  I would rather be forced to travel at some good compromise for the whole distance.

I am quite convinced they do on purpose.... to catch you out ! previous car I had to setup limit alarms where gps on car knows limits and warns audibly (You are over the speed limit - daughter even made a song out of it ! ) but not all cars have this feature or upto date. my current car reads street signs as go past so also I can always look at that to see if I am doing what i am supposed to be doing. 

its not just vic. in tassie I had lights and sirens with a policeman doing a U turn and pulling me over for 10km over speed limit... when I was doing 100 km/h where apparently it was 90 ? this was rural ... and he admitted himself it was a ludicrous thing. infact so ludicrous because as i said to him i had picked up the car prior and not in actual fact yet seen a speed limit sign even :D and had my colleague sitting next to me to verify. He agreed saying well the speed limits around here are 90.  and here is the kicker he then proceeded to say not that he agreed with it and all asked me for was my email address so could send me a caution. told me the caution would last the week. ie if got caught speeding again in the week I would get fined. and here is another kicker... he said to me when I received the email there would be no need to read it I can just hit delete. well I did look out for the email... and never got one.... to delete. this is more sensible policing I would suggest. ofcourse i took his word for it limit was 90 km/h around the traps and continued on at 90 :)