Favourite Tidal MQA Albums

ollie_08

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2020 at 12:24 AM, KRSDarwin said:

Pony by Orville Peck.  My favourite album of 2019

Didn’t really know what to expect with this album, but it is surprisingly good with his roots obviously deep in country music.......very enjoyable album indeed and hope I can pick up a copy on vinyl.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

very enjoyable album indeed and hope I can pick up a copy on vinyl

Hi Keith, I’m glad you enjoyed the album. I picked up a copy on vinyl from Warner Music.  A high quality vinyl recording and super clean vinyl with quality packaging.  

I enjoy his distinctive voice, the fact that he seems to be singing songs that mean something to him from his life and you can understand what he is singing. 

image.jpg

Edited by KRSDarwin

6 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

Hi Keith, I’m glad you enjoyed the album. I picked up a copy on vinyl from Warner Music.  A high quality vinyl recording and super clean vinyl with quality packaging.  

I enjoy his distinctive voice, the fact that he seems to be singing songs that mean something to him from his life and you can understand what he is singing. 

image.jpg

Thanks for that, Kevin, I’ll track down a copy on Warner Music. I was intrigued with the Lone Ranger mask and it would seem he is Daniel Pitout who is the drummer for Canadian band Nu Sensae. I hope Pony is not his only solo effort.

Cheers,

Keith

• Like 1

my favs at the moment, this isn't my entire favs list by the way..  just the standouts IMO

Ludovico Einaudi - seven days walking

Joker soundtrack

Melody Gardot - currency of man

Kenny Dorham - whistle stop

Gene Ammons - boss tenor

Blue Mitchell - the thing to do

Keith Richards - talk is cheap

Van Morrison - the Prophet speaks

Walter Wolfman Washington - my future is my past

Natalie Merchant - paradise is there

Iron and Wine - beast epic

Rodney Crowell - close ties

Prince - a piano and microphone

Beatles - white album (50th ann.)

Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka

Joep Beving - prehension

• Like 9

Some of the more recent MQA albums I've been enjoying on Tidal in my mix -

Audra McDonald - Sing Happy

Jóhann Jóhannsson - Orphée

Seth MacFarlane - In Full Swing

Hadestown Live Original Cast Recording

Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Conan The Barbarian Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Ad Astra Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Jason Robert Brown - How We React and How We Recover

Primal Heart - Kimbra

Fazil Say - Beethoven Complete Piano Sonatas

Edited by commawaffle
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 9:54 PM, keyse1 said:

What is MQA?

It is a standard for downloading and unpacking HQ content from HQ streaming services like Tidal.  There are plenty of YouTube vides that explain it.

• 4 months later...
18 hours ago, PCOWandre said:

My slogan for MQA going forward is "Margarine Quality Authenticated". It isn't butter, it doesn't taste like butter but there's this massive manufacturer campaign telling everyone that butter isn't any good any more and one should consume margarine. Then it turns out that hydrogenated trans fats or whatever margarine is made of aren't seen as that magical healthy solution any more.

I'm with you on CDs. You can rip them, you can pop them in a player, you can give them away, sell them, buy them second hand, use them as coasters. And because the general public have left them behind, you encounter people giving away their entire collection because they've moved to streaming. Oh, and you're not going to find an MQA-enabled DAC in a junk shop, but esoteric fancy CDs players turn up for ten bucks.

This MQA debate you are taking this thread on is boring and has been done to death, take it somewhere else.

This thread is for the enjoyment of music that happens to be in MQA also.

Fleetwood Mac - Tango In The Night Deluxe, especially the remixes at the end, some great sound mixes.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

You're a naughty boy/girl @PCOWandre

Well written, even if it is off topic.

Your story telling is much better than mine hence the reason I didn't make a similarly veined post. I would have just said MQA is nonsense  but I'm just crass.

Ultimately MQA will go the way of DVD Audio and the dodo. Although it has never contributed to the well-being of the planet like the dodo did.

That's not to say I don't enjoy Tidal music but when I play a random mix from Tidal which includes MQA tracks my DAC makes convulsing noises and reminds me every time the "resolution" changes.

To stay on topic, my favourite MQA album is Joni Mitchell, Both Sides Now. I think they've done a good job with the EQ on the MQA remix.

• Like 3

Oh, I just see a forum with reasonably low traffic and find an opportunity to stir a little. If we don't flip the sacred cow burgers from time to time they'll just burn on one side and dry out. I hope whoever got to eat the last dodo at least cooked it nicely and served it with a rather good bottle of wine. 

And I hear you on the DAC noises -- much as I love the Perfectwave, the click-a-click CLICK-click can get a little annoying at times. I'm sure they're very *nice* relays, though.

Currently listening? The big box set of the Hitchhiker's Guide radio plays. I found a complete BBC set with all the new material as well. They really did a lovely job on the bistromathics bit with some subtle sound effects and samples. There's probably even an MQA edition of "Journey of the Sorcerer" by The Eagles to enjoy the theme music in full. 

• Like 3