Favourite Tidal MQA Albums

Please share your favourites...

Mine

Van Morrison - Austral Weeks,

Aretha Franklin - 69 Soul

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

A Perfect Circle - Eat the Elephant 

What is MQA?

John Lee Hooker - It Serves You Right To Suffer.

Steely Dan - Gaucho.

Edited by pcking

Pony by Orville Peck.  My favourite album of 2019

James Blake - Assume Form

On 03/01/2020 at 12:24 AM, KRSDarwin said:

Pony by Orville Peck.  My favourite album of 2019

Didn’t really know what to expect with this album, but it is surprisingly good with his roots obviously deep in country music.......very enjoyable album indeed and hope I can pick up a copy on vinyl.

Cheers Keith

Edited by cheekyboy

9 hours ago, cheekyboy said:

very enjoyable album indeed and hope I can pick up a copy on vinyl

Hi Keith, I’m glad you enjoyed the album. I picked up a copy on vinyl from Warner Music.  A high quality vinyl recording and super clean vinyl with quality packaging.  

I enjoy his distinctive voice, the fact that he seems to be singing songs that mean something to him from his life and you can understand what he is singing. 

image.jpg

Edited by KRSDarwin

6 hours ago, KRSDarwin said:

Hi Keith, I’m glad you enjoyed the album. I picked up a copy on vinyl from Warner Music.  A high quality vinyl recording and super clean vinyl with quality packaging.  

I enjoy his distinctive voice, the fact that he seems to be singing songs that mean something to him from his life and you can understand what he is singing. 

image.jpg

Thanks for that, Kevin, I’ll track down a copy on Warner Music. I was intrigued with the Lone Ranger mask and it would seem he is Daniel Pitout who is the drummer for Canadian band Nu Sensae. I hope Pony is not his only solo effort.

Cheers,

Keith

my favs at the moment, this isn't my entire favs list by the way..  just the standouts IMO

Ludovico Einaudi - seven days walking

Joker soundtrack

Melody Gardot - currency of man

Kenny Dorham - whistle stop

Gene Ammons - boss tenor

Blue Mitchell - the thing to do

Keith Richards - talk is cheap

Van Morrison - the Prophet speaks

Walter Wolfman Washington - my future is my past

Natalie Merchant - paradise is there

Iron and Wine - beast epic

Rodney Crowell - close ties

Prince - a piano and microphone

Beatles - white album (50th ann.)

Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka

Joep Beving - prehension

I've just seen that the Peter Gabriel back catalogue is now MASTER on Tidal

Some of the more recent MQA albums I've been enjoying on Tidal in my mix -

Audra McDonald - Sing Happy

Jóhann Jóhannsson - Orphée

Seth MacFarlane - In Full Swing

Hadestown Live Original Cast Recording

Star Wars The Rise of Skywalker Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Conan The Barbarian Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Ad Astra Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Jason Robert Brown - How We React and How We Recover

Primal Heart - Kimbra

Fazil Say - Beethoven Complete Piano Sonatas

Edited by commawaffle

Chrissie Hynde - Valve Bone Woe

James Taylor - Warner Bros Album

Does that mean all tracks with the M tag are MQA?

9 hours ago, Eugene.cho said:

Does that mean all tracks with the M tag are MQA?

Yup. 

Tame Impala - Currents

Dominique Fils-Aime - Stay Tuned

On 11/12/2019 at 9:07 PM, ollie_08 said:

Please share your favourites...

Mine

Van Morrison - Austral Weeks,

Aretha Franklin - 69 Soul

Muddy Waters - Folk Singer

Is this the Australia only version of the album?

Albert King. Born Under A Bad Sign.

22938AEC-1EF5-4680-9FBB-83F563D3C0F9.jpeg

On 22/12/2019 at 8:47 PM, pcking said:

John Lee Hooker - It Serves You Right To Suffer.

Steely Dan - Gaucho.

John Lee Hooker - It serves You Right to Suffer, listening tonight and enjoying😊

On 11/12/2019 at 9:54 PM, keyse1 said:

What is MQA?

It is a standard for downloading and unpacking HQ content from HQ streaming services like Tidal.  There are plenty of YouTube vides that explain it.

On 11/12/2019 at 9:54 PM, keyse1 said:

What is MQA?

I know I'm resurrecting a sleeping thread, but allow me to present a fanciful tale to consider.

Picture a few record label executives, streaming service CTOs and Bob Stuart from Meridian sitting around drinking cognac, smoking cigars and complaining about the state of the industry. Oh, it's just not what it used to be, is it? The days of selling the same Eagles album every year are looking awfully numbered, and this streaming business is costing a bit more to implement than anyone had hoped.

The problem, y'see, is too many people are heard of this "hi-rez download" thing. It's the only thing perceived as being better than buying a CD, and nobody wants to deal with physical media any more. Now, this lot are pretty sure that most people can't tell the difference and indeed they've been playing with the idea of just resampling their old CD files with a little dither and a splash of parametric EQ around 20Khz. The real problem is people want to see that "192" or "96" light on their DAC, or the "96/24" on their phone, or their music player. Thing is, those files are awfully big. Now, that's not hard for the consumer end of the game because a little buffering magic and everyone's happy. A little pre-buffering in an app and the presto, no problem. 

But sending thousands of those irritatingly large files out? That's costing bandwidth and that can really add up. Not much fun in having to stream content eight times the size when the consumer probably can't hear the difference anyway. But we need that glowing light, because nobody wants to see their expensive DAC running at 44.1Khz. Besides, there's no DRM on these new-fangled lossless formats and not even digital fingerprinting. Once that FLAC is out in the wild, it's out in the wild! We can't trace the damn thing!

At which point, Bob blows a cloud of cigar smoke over the table and pours another hefty slug of 1967 armagnac. He turns down the Nickleback album and leans in towards the huddled discussion, lowering his voice and motioning the waiter to keep some distance.

"What if I tell you I can digitally fingerprint every download, and solve the lack of 192Khz LEDs lighting at the same time?"

All they have to do is cook up a new format. One that is small and easy to bandwidth manage, but still has the potential to turn on LEDs. Something with a digital fingerprint which isn't easy to strip. And people will buy it, because we'll tell them it sounds better. After all, the audiophile crowd spend a lot of time saying blind testing doesn't work, so we can work with them and their hardware vendors to make sure they buy it. Anyone that doesn't like will be called cloth-eared, or at least told they didn't buy the right power cable. What's more, this new format is even cleverer, because it involves making sure there is a chance people can hear the difference, or at least be able to find it on a spectrogram.

The execs and the CTOs love the idea, but they know where this is going. The market got a little bit wise the last few times they tried new DRM ideas. Those CDs from Sony really made a mess of everything. "No, they won't buy it."

This is where Bob smiles. He knows this game. He knows his industry. He knows his customers: "Oh, we don't get YOU to introduce it. We'll make it a new FEATURE in our audiophile hardware! Everyone is wary of the record labels, but nobody expects their DAC to be plotting against them!"

And so, over a fine cheese platter, the decision was made. And the wizards of Meridian settled into the development phase, and came up with a solution wherein 16 bit 44.1Khz CD audio was to be limited to 13 bits and the remaining LSB uses to overlay a lossy-encoded version of the missing data. And this would be digitally signed, so the activation of the magic MQA light (now even more prestigious than the 192 light!) would be constrained. And now, HD Streaming -- MASTER QUALITY -- a great sales pitch -- with only the bandwidth requirements of plain old CD audio. The LED turns on at one eighth of the bandwidth consumption and everyone is making money. Especially since these files only have 13 bits of the original 16 left in them when played without the MQA codec, so one can even point out that old DACs are rubbish and one can hear the difference! Superb!

And Bob? How's he making out on this? Well, every recording, every DAC, every app, every MQA CD needs a license fee paid, and he's cackling all the way to the bank. 

That's the story of the audio codec so shoddy, even the torrent sites reject it. 

@PCOWandre

Does that mean MQA doesn’t sound better

1 minute ago, keyse1 said:

@PCOWandre

Does that mean MQA doesn’t sound better

That means MQA files on non-MQA equipment will sound worse than plain CD FLAC, and if high bitrates and depth are important to you, you're better off with a 96/24 file rather than MQA.

It should also be noted that MQA requires a bit-perfect chain, so any digital volume control, room correction, upsampling, rate conversion, digital EQ, etc will disable it.