McIntosh ma252 vs Primare i25

Irek

Hi guys,

I had the opportunity to directly compare 3 amplifiers, I was wondering if anybody had the same impression or similar experience.

Amps I tried:

Mcintosh ma252 hybrid integrated (RRP $7500)

Primare i25 – integrated (RRP$3500)

Devialet pro 220 – integrated amp with streamer and other features (RRP $14K)

First I heard the Mcintosh ma252 hybrid integrated amplifier with Klipsh RP-600M – the combo sounded pretty good.

Then I tried the Mcintosh ma252 with PMC 25.23. The source was Mcintosh CDP. The system sounded like something was missing.

Then I tried Primare i25 with PMC 25.23 + Mcintosh CDP. That system knocked my socks off, I didn’t know Primare is so good.

Devialet pro 220 sounded pretty good as well.    

• Like 1

I think PMC/Primare may be one of those systems that go together well.  I listened to some PMC twenty5.26 earlier in the year with a primare amp and they sounded fantastic, very smooth with really tight extended bass.  Heard them again with some big electrocompaniet amps and really didnt like them

I went through a similar audition and ended up going with the ma252 and pmc 25.21. This combo provided the fatigue free sound that suits me and tamed the sometimes hot tweeter. I didn’t enjoy the pmc with the devialet or  new krell. 

Forgot to add that the ma252 really sounds better   after 10 minutes or more. Also using      

Edited by BlackMX

On 11/12/2019 at 6:21 PM, BlackMX said:

I went through a similar audition and ended up going with the ma252 and pmc 25.21. This combo provided the fatigue free sound that suits me and tamed the sometimes hot tweeter. I didn’t enjoy the pmc with the devialet or  new krell. 

Forgot to add that the ma252 really sounds better   after 10 minutes or more. Also using      

Agree 100% the Mcintosh ma252 is very non fatiguing amp. Probably can be used 24/7.  Also 25.21 are less demanding than 25.23

7 hours ago, lemarquis said:

Interesting comparison. Just goes to show how synergy comes into play. Any more impressions @Irek ? How do they compare to the MF M5si?

The mids and height are sort of similar except details. Primare when it comes to details is on $10k + level amplifiers. 

The bass on the other hand is black and white difference. MF is smooth and relax. Primare at bass section is the opposite of relax, very agile and well controlled.   

• Like 1