Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
GroovyGuru

Avantgarde & Audio Research

Recommended Posts

That's great that it's sounding good already. Most guys complain that they can't get the balance correct between the bass section and the horn section even with the stock woofers.

I love the look of the ref160. It's not a common choice for horns - how do you find them with your horns? Do you get much noise/hiss from them?

Edited by haygeebaby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, haygeebaby said:

That's great that it's sounding good already. Most guys complain that they can't get the balance correct between the bass section and the horn section even with the stock woofers.

I love the look of the ref160. It's not a common choice for horns - how do you find them with your horns? Do you get much noise/hiss from them?

The current Audio Research power amps are extremely quiet amplifiers from my experience with my own (different models.) From Stereophile's measurements on the 160M:

 

image.png.c25114d93e47a987cb16c699b5a69d05.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@GroovyGuru

 

Did you ever consider a low watt tube amp  ?

 

(not to correct what you currently believe you are lacking, but as an alternative of the amplifiers you currently use )

Edited by Yngvi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

 

For some reason, people seem to think I'm getting bad sound and I need to rearrange setup.  For the record, I'm getting good sound and don't need to do anything but pair up with a higher reaching sub.

 

 

I'm sure it sounds great, Peter - but you yourself said the Trios don't go much below 200Hz.

 

That hole is not something you can solve by 'rearranging' your gear, I suggest?

 

Andy

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


12 hours ago, sir sanders zingmore said:

@GroovyGuru one thing I’ve always wondered about the trios is whether the horns are fixed in position on the frame? Can you “fine tune” the sound by moving the horns?

The Trios can be tilted to fine tune the sound.  They are delivered with socks on the feet which can be slid.  When set up is complete then you take the feet socks off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, haygeebaby said:

That's great that it's sounding good already. Most guys complain that they can't get the balance correct between the bass section and the horn section even with the stock woofers.

I love the look of the ref160. It's not a common choice for horns - how do you find them with your horns? Do you get much noise/hiss from them?

No problem with noise.  I've been in audio 40 yrs.  I've experienced valve gear before. The Ref 6 & 160m are the quietest valve gear I have heard. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It must sound incredible. I have heard Zeros, Unos and Duos a few times now and they are amazing enough

The Ref6 is a big jump over Ref5SE too

Edited by Bunno77
.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

No problem with noise.  I've been in audio 40 yrs.  I've experienced valve gear before. The Ref 6 & 160m are the quietest valve gear I have heard. 


No hiss is very good. I still get some minor hiss with a pass Labs xa 30.8 on my horns. Paired with the ref6 and ls28 in both cases.

How will you solve this bass problem groovy? Did the supplier make any suggestions? 
When I had the rel 5sho in my system I could never get the sub bass level correct. Some tracks worked well but most did not. Hard to fine tune in my experience. introducing a crossover box was going to be next but I never got that far. 
Auto calibration on the xd units is a big win in my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


8 minutes ago, haygeebaby said:


No hiss is very good. I still get some minor hiss with a pass Labs xa 30.8 on my horns. Paired with the ref6 and ls28 in both cases.

How will you solve this bass problem groovy? Did the supplier make any suggestions? 
When I had the rel 5sho in my system I could never get the sub bass level correct. Some tracks worked well but most did not. Hard to fine tune in my experience. introducing a crossover box was going to be next but I never got that far. 
Auto calibration on the xd units is a big win in my opinion. 

I've had Threshold gear.  Nelson Pass is not a low noise designer.  There was hiss on his Fet 10e phonostage and preamp with low output MC.  The tone on his gear is among the best in SS.  

 

I have everything under control or I wouldn't have posted this thread.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

I have everything under control or I wouldn't have posted this thread.  

Awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've fixed most of the bass issue by throwing away the REL rule book and adopting the GroovyGuru rule book.  REL 212se is set at 120hz and volume is at 3 o'clock.  

 

I think I had previously set the REL volume too low.  They were loafing.  They now can do room lock where there is low bass. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, GroovyGuru said:

I've fixed most of the bass issue by throwing away the REL rule book and adopting the GroovyGuru rule book.  REL 212se is set at 120hz and volume is at 3 o'clock.  

 


Peter,

 

Sometimes this is the ‘right’ thing to do. I find that my own attempts to marry large outboard bass units with either my Edgar Horns or the Orange Direct Drive ESLs it is better to run the woofer settings higher up the frequency range and increase the volume level to get the woofers moving and be reactive. This better keeps up with the impact and speed of the horn section.

 

Btw, AlistairM or Tax/Taksil on this forum are good people to pick their brains about bass settings with Avantgarde. Both are long term Trio users, Tax was using a pair of sealed 10” Duo woofer boxes to good effect in his pseudo Trio/Azurehorn spkrs, similarly Alistair with a true Trio set-up. You can make these speakers sound however you like by adjusting the bass output, Tax’s was strong and impactful while Alistair’s accurate and lighter on its feet.

 

Cheers,

 

Steve.

 

 

 

 

.

Edited by Steve M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Steve M said:


Peter,

 

Sometimes this is the ‘right’ thing to do. I find that my own attempts to marry large outboard bass units with either my Edgar Horns or the Orange Direct Drive ESLs it is better to run the woofer settings higher up the frequency range and increase the volume level to get the woofers moving and be reactive. This better keeps up with the impact and speed of the horn section.

 

Btw, AlistairM or Tax/Taksil on this forum are good people to pick their brains about bass settings with Avantgarde. Both are long term Trio users, Tax was using a pair of sealed 10” Duo woofer boxes to good effect in his pseudo Trio/Azurehorn spkrs, similarly Alistair with a true Trio set-up. You can make these speakers sound however you like by adjusting the bass output, Tax’s was strong and impactful while Alistair’s accurate and lighter on its feet.

 

Cheers,

 

Steve.

 

 

 

 

.

It helped the RELs that I repositioned my Trios.  I didn't think I had the Trios on the 1/3 room node.  They were too far back.  I pulled them closer by a few centremetres and now the Trios have bass.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fixed the bass problem.  Switched the tweeters to the outside.  The sound is much better than having the tweeters on the inside.  The drivers are better integrated, giving a much fuller sound linking midrange driver better with the woofer.  More air is being moved.  The bass is now that much better I can play Massive Attack.  And the REL 212 had to be wound back.  Crossover at 100hz and volume taken back a little.   

 

With the tweeters on the inside the sound was too lean with a tendency to be shrill.  The tweeters swamped the other drivers. 

 

DSC_0001.thumb.JPG.21a6f509ffa1c2250cd2619f6b00ea0b.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


7 minutes ago, GroovyGuru said:

Fixed the bass problem.  Switched the tweeters to the outside.  The sound is much better than having the tweeters on the inside.  The drivers are better integrated, giving a much fuller sound linking midrange driver better with the woofer.  More air is being moved.  The bass is now that much better I can play Massive Attack.  And the REL 212 had to be wound back.  Crossover at 100hz and volume taken back a little.  

That's great, but how did it make the avantgardes go lower?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ittaku said:

That's great, but how did it make the avantgardes go lower?

I think it's to do with having the mids closer in the middle changing the time alignment of the speakers.  It changed the way the air moves in the room.  Probably mids and bass overlapping to create reinforcement.  There is now air moving.  Somehow the sound grew gonads. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only think it would be because you have moved the Trio bass units about a foot outwards, which has changed their room modes enough to be noticeable.

 

cheers

Grant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grant Slack said:

I can only think it would be because you have moved the Trio bass units about a foot outwards, which has changed their room modes enough to be noticeable.

 

cheers

Grant

that's not the case.  I had the Trios wider than this.  I had these f***king Trios everywhere except up my khyber.  Somehow they also sound more dynamic with the revised setup.

 

I think it's to do with time alignment.  The drivers sound better integrated.

Edited by GroovyGuru

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DSC_0021.JPG

 

DSC_0001.JPG

 

Hello Peter, I'm not sure why you were so antsy in your reply to my post. I was only trying to help with a logical explanation for the change in bass that you reported.

 

And I was only basing my comment on your photos. Either your rug has shrunk, or you have moved both the Trio bass and the subs outwards. Which would certainly explain a big change in the bass.

 

Perhaps I'll butt out. I tend to think as these sharing threads as welcoming of the readers' thoughts, but I could be wrong.

 

Regards

Grant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Grant Slack said:

DSC_0021.JPG

 

DSC_0001.JPG

 

Hello Peter, I'm not sure why you were so antsy in your reply to my post. I was only trying to help with a logical explanation for the change in bass that you reported.

 

And I was only basing my comment on your photos. Either your rug has shrunk, or you have moved both the Trio bass and the subs outwards. Which would certainly explain a big change in the bass.

 

Perhaps I'll butt out. I tend to think as these sharing threads as welcoming of the readers' thoughts, but I could be wrong.

 

Regards

Grant

Sorry if I was testy.  I pretty much had a gutful of trying to get the Trios to sound the way I wanted.  I thought I may have made a mistake buying them.  I was even thinking of putting the MG 20.7 back on and removing it from sale.  

 

I had tried them in every position with the tweeters inside.  Same goes for tweeters on the outside.  On the outside, I had to push them further apart because there was too much midrange/bass making the sound closed in.  

 

With the tweeters on the outside, the tweeters are set further away from the listener.  I believe it is a time alignment issue.  Set tweeters on the inside if you want bright sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hang in there. These horns take time to get setup right. My optimum setup for room/speaker/listening chair took about 2 weeks to get right. During this time I kept thinking I had made the wrong purchase.

I also moved from panels to horns. And would say advantgarde horn setup was advanced/more complex than other box and panel speakers I’ve had.

After trying many configurations the ultimate setup for my duo omegas was the original factory recommendations. Including the tilt, horn height adjustments. However it was better to run speaker cables directly to the mids instead of the tweeters. Bass crossover recommendations where better when increased slightly, but similar to factory recommendations.
Time alignment to said to be off in the tweeter, but after correct setup, as the designers intended, I realised that this  increases micro detail. 

I would recommend you stick to the factory recommendations as close as possible and fine tune from there.

just my two cents and I hope it helps.

But yeah - I know your pain with setting up these horns.

good luck
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve just read through the trio manual and it is the same principle as the duos. 
For page 22 - speaker distancing - the Jim Smith method was excellent as his method takes into account room modes. I started with what the manual recommended then applied the Jim Smith Method.

For page 23 - that tilt is critical for seating height to horn height. When you can get close to what it shows the effect of the timing mismatch becomes evident. Try your best to get the bottom lip of the top horn to reach the back upper end of the tweeter case. This setup is identical to the duos.

i would move the tweeters back to oem position. 
a lot of guys don’t use the stock speaker cables to connect the drivers. I’m not sure if this is the same for the new trio.


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry I am looking at the method for the non Classico version. That tilt won’t apply the same way for your trio. Let me see if I can find the correct method.

Edited by haygeebaby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Lansche plasma guy
      Item: Azurahorn Ah-160 Midbass horns
      Location: Melbourne 
      Price: $550 negotiable
      Item Condition:  Good for age.  
      Reason for selling: Taking up huge amounts of space.  Present audio room is way to small for these
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD Only
      Extra Info:
      Up for sale is my Azura Ah-160 mid bass horns.  These mid bass horns have given me the best lower midrange through mid bass I have heard.  The fibreglass horns resonated quite a bit when i first got them so over a couple of years i put layer after layer of bitumen on them which improved the sound hugely (I got that idea from Goto with they're midrange and mid bass horns).  It took forever for the bitumen to dry hence the huge amount of application time.
       
      They retail for $1200 new and then you have to pay the shipping, put on mounting plates, a rear chamber and ideally damp the mid bass and then paint them.  This has all been done ready to bolt the drivers in.  They are cut to a 4 inch throat to suit a 8 inch driver (same compression ratio and driver type as Avantgarde use in the Trio.  I have built a system that allows you to change the compression chamber size at the back of the horn.
       
      If you wished to use them with a different sized driver (like a Western Electric style 555 compression driver or larger) you could get Azurahorn to sell you a extension piece.
       
      Some people on the net have used these horns with the Avantgarde Duo for huge improvements to the sound (and near Avantgarde Trio sound).
       
      They take up a huge amount of space (they are almost one metre in diameter so they just fit through a doorway).
       
      They were originally gold in colour (using various metal powders and wax) but are presently in a more discreet Charcoal chalky type finish.  The rim needs a little touch up due to being in the garage a couple of years (I have more of the spray paint so can do this if required).
       
      Useable response (depending on driver and position) is 60 hz (shoved hard into room corners) through to about 100 - 140 hz or so in free space.  I was crossing these over at 700-900 hz but many recommend using them to about 1100 hz.
       
      I have some 8 inch Coral drivers I can provide cheap with these if needed.  I was using the Corals with these before switching to the Fane as used by Romy the Cat in his Upgraded Avantgarde Trio Midbass horns.  The Corals sound excellent in this mid bass horn.  Almost as good as the Fane but less efficient.  
       
      The Fane drivers have been sold and are not available.
       
      Local pickup strongly preferred due to the obvious size and weight issues.  Otherwise you would have to arrange your own shipping.
       
      Priced them cheap for a quick sale.
       
      LPG
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.




    • By LukevanO
      Item: Audio Research VSi60, Martin Logan EM-ESLs (pair), Auralic mini, power conditioning and all cabling
      Location: Fitzroy, VIC 3065
      Price: $5000 for the lot (prefer no split)
      Item Condition: Excellent all round, Auralic a bit yellowed from sun.
      Reason for selling: Cashflow crisis
      Payment Method: Pickup only - Cash, COD Only
      Extra Info: Amp and speakers were listed separately, now throwing in the other items to get this sold,  due to a cashflow crisis (still ongoing!) forcing me to part with the system I always dreamed of. It’s all boxed up now at my home for quick sale, all in perfectly sweet working order, looks as new - with the exception of the Auralic mini. Really can’t deal with organizing shipping but am happy for an intermediary to hand over cash and collect for a courier. Sorry- lots going on! The amp alone is worth the $5k 🤦🏼‍♂️
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.






    • By leqt1969
      Item: Avantgarde Acoustic UNO speakers
      Location: Bexley NSW
      Price: $8,500 ONO.
      Item Condition: Used but in great condition, superb sonically.
      Reason for selling: Going different direction
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash
      Extra Info: Advertise on behalf of a friend in Bexley NSW who doesn’t have SNA account.
      Grab your chance.
      Avantgarde speakers are rarely seen on second hand market. These speakers are in great condition and sound superb. Still have original box but pick up preferred due to weight.
      Audition can be arranged for serious buyers.
       
       
      Photos: Advertisements without photos of the actual item will not be approved.



    • By gypr1961
      Item: Avantgarde Zero 1 XD Active Speakers DSP
      Location: Brisbane
      Price: $19,000 negotiable
      Item Condition: Mint
      Reason for selling: Time for a change
      Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
      Extra Info:

      These are the top of the line model, above the pro model and come with DSP, digital and an analogue (A/D card) for turntables etc.
       
      They are incredibly dynamic! They sound just as good when theyre shaking the house or playing whisper quiet. 
       
      I have all original packing
       
      As im going to need a complete new system Im happy to look at trades + cash
       
       
      Specs can be found here https://www.avantgarde-acoustic.de/en/products/zero-serie/zero-1-xd.html
       
       
       
       



×
×
  • Create New...