JoshH

Recommend me a subwoofer for 2-channel Music

32 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I have a simple theory on the use of subs with 2 channel music reproduction.

If you believe that you need a sub for 2 channel music reproduction.....you actually admitting your main speakers are not up to this task. 👍

I completely disagree ... but if that is why you believe fair enough.  I can recommend the SVS subwoofers for their musicality.

22 minutes ago, MrC said:

I can recommend the SVS subwoofers for their musicality.

Agree as a SB-2000 owner, brilliant subs.

1 hour ago, MrC said:

I completely disagree ... but if that is why you believe fair enough.  I can recommend the SVS subwoofers for their musicality.

I realise there are very 'musical' subs available......but if your main speakers have enough pure bass reproduction, then IMO there is no need for a sub. My humble Aaron's have copious (quality) bass capability.....hence my sub is used only for HT.

Bottom line though, sound is subjective......if the listener is happy with their sound in whatever configuration they have, it's all good.👍

7 minutes ago, stevoz said:

I realise there are very 'musical' subs available......but if your main speakers have enough pure bass reproduction, then IMO there is no need for a sub. My humble Aaron's have copious (quality) bass capability.....hence my sub is used only for HT.

Bottom line though, sound is subjective......if the listener is happy with their sound in whatever configuration they have, it's all good.👍

You are entitled to your opinion.

17 minutes ago, MrC said:

You are entitled to your opinion.

I am.....😉

I am using a Velodyne SPL-8 which might be a good option, but check the size as the 10 or 12 might work better. However the 8 actually goes down to 25hz (tested to be true in my room) which is impressive for an 8”. Since the position of the sub is locked in the microphone and EQ would be a great feature to smooth it out since you are not able to try different room positions. I actually have mine contained inside an entertainment unit positioned on top of a subwoofer isolation pad with an opening where the driver faces. Being sealed with a high powered amp along with the eq I have been able to integrate it well with a few different speakers now.

Edited by Midget

The cupboard isn’t ideal but if you had to, try a auralex subdude and I’ll suggest a 10” sealed 

JL audio e110 is my choice. 

21 hours ago, stevoz said:

There are only a few Aaron models that go down to 28hz and they are floor standers with multiple larger drivers or a single 15”. I think the OP has specific requirements for this particular room which locks him into certain size speakers due to the hidden compartments created. A sub is what will work best for his situation and a good way to get low frequency response for a good price. I don’t think it’s necessary or fits the problem trying to be solved by getting more full range speakers. Modern music takes advantage of very low frequencies so a lot can be lost by only running 2.0 unless larger speakers with good quality amplification is used. 

16 minutes ago, Midget said:

There are only a few Aaron models that go down to 28hz and they are floor standers with multiple larger drivers or a single 15”. I think the OP has specific requirements for this particular room which locks him into certain size speakers due to the hidden compartments created. A sub is what will work best for his situation and a good way to get low frequency response for a good price. I don’t think it’s necessary or fits the problem trying to be solved by getting more full range speakers. Modern music takes advantage of very low frequencies so a lot can be lost by only running 2.0 unless larger speakers with good quality amplification is used. 

Correct. One model is the ATS5 mains......which indeed goes down to 28Hz. Hence, really no need for a sub with music. I have actually watched movies not realising the sub wasn't on, while happily thinking it was. The 'bang for your buck' factor with these speakers is through the roof!🤘

Aaron SUB240..............goes down to 20Hz. Hard to beat. It replaced a Velodyne CT100 which just couldn't compete with it. Pity Aaron have folded.😪 Australians missed the boat big time with this brand.

However, all this maybe irrelevant to the OP's situation due to restricted available space and room configuration as you have outlined.👍

Edited by stevoz

Another vote for the Rythmik - I love mine and can’t see myself ever parting from them.

@Red Spade Audio may be able to assist with sourcing them.

Cheers,

SS

On 11/01/2020 at 2:28 PM, stevoz said:

Not always the case..... if you have room null issues , like I have.

Don't buy a sub, buy 2. I've tried a sub with stereo for years, it doesn't work, but 2? I have 2 Def Tech Supercube 4000 really excellent. You can adjust with remote, many tracks benefit from more or less bass.