Recommend me a subwoofer for 2-channel Music

I need a subwoofer for my living room 2-channel system. A few caveats - its a multi use room, not dedicated so the room has bookshelf speakers hidden behind speaker cloth covered doors. I am running a pair of Vandersteen Bookshelves driven off a Meridian Amp with a Lumen source. The subwoofer has a dedicated space inside another cloth covered cupboard. So the subwoofer needs to be forward firing and I prefer the sound of sealed enclosures. Budget not really an issue.. but dont need anything over the top.

Has to fit inside the cupboard - dimensions: 560mm Wide x 450mm deep x 490mm high - so can fit something reasonable in size.

Any thoughts or ideas appreciated on what might be a musical sub that might work? Perhaps the MK Sound V12 might be worth a look....

P.S The vandersteen sub wont work.. it requires an external Crossover designed to go between pre and power.

Edited by JoshH

sorry josh, but you really need to move the cupboard on. Nothing will ever be right whilst you've got your setup the way it is.

Funnily enough, bookshelves really need to be on stands, not on bookshelves. All sorts of weird and wonderful issues arise with bookshelf speakers on bookshelfs.

It is kind of mind boggling that you would consider dropping over a grand on a sub to put it in a living room cabinet.

I mean, by all means try it, if you are lucky, you might get away with it. but on the flipside, that position may very well be located right on a destructive node, and it will seam that no matter how loud you turn up the volume on the sub, it wont sound like it is there at all. 

Just my thoughts, 

Cheers,

Jack

Edited by YaBoiiGarfield
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, JoshH said:

The subwoofer has a dedicated space inside another cloth covered cupboard. So the subwoofer needs to be forward firing and I prefer the sound of sealed enclosures.

If you were to stick with the cupboard, you will NEED a sealed sub.  it just wont work having a ported sub in a cupboard.

22 minutes ago, YaBoiiGarfield said:

If you were to stick with the cupboard, you will NEED a sealed sub.  it just wont work having a ported sub in a cupboard.

Yes I know - hence my note for a sealed sub.

24 minutes ago, YaBoiiGarfield said:

sorry josh, but you really need to move the cupboard on. Nothing will ever be right whilst you've got your setup the way it is.

Funnily enough, bookshelves really need to be on stands, not on bookshelves. All sorts of weird and wonderful issues arise with bookshelf speakers on bookshelfs.

It is kind of mind boggling that you would consider dropping over a grand on a sub to put it in a living room cabinet.

I mean, by all means try it, if you are lucky, you might get away with it. but on the flipside, that position may very well be located right on a destructive node, and it will seam that no matter how loud you turn up the volume on the sub, it wont sound like it is there at all. 

Just my thoughts, 

Cheers,

Jack

Yes.. sigh its not ideal.. in an ideal world I would just go and buy a pair of Vandersteen Quattros  and put them on the floor sellout from the walls with some nice power /pre  and be done with it.. but its a compromise as its the main living area and WAF is off the charts in this room. I have a dedicated cinema so I cant complain.....If I really want to listen to serious music I will go in there.

I have tested a sub in the cupboard (a Jamo D7) - and it actually works 'ok'. There is plenty of output as its not in a null, but its not perfect either. Its a compromise. The Vandersteen bookshelves actually sound pretty dark good in the place they are located - again not perfect, but its good enough for my living room. Its a big space, so a cheap n nasty sub although cost effective wont really cut it. 

I dont really consider a grand a lot of money for a sub - but of course all things are relative and I appreciate that to some this is a lot of money to drop on a sub. That said, the system needs some bass re-inforcement badly. I love the top end and mid range on the Vandies, but there is no bottom end to speak of.

Appreciate your thoughts and input. All your points are valid and unfortunately I just have to compromise in this room. I think I made up my mind on the V12 M&K. Its on special at the moment for $1200 which is a good saving over retail.

• Like 1

I think this would work VERY well.........especially at the price!!!!!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Whatmough-Subwoofer/184074616266?hash=item2adbb3bdca:g:0aAAAOSwlkhd2mCF&frcectupt=true

If it's a Tornado Mk 1.......I have heard it in the past and it was clean, tight and musical.

Only 3dB down @ 25 Hz.............don't know about inside a cabinet though.

IIRC RRP was around $1K at the time.

The MK 2 has similar specs but RRP now seems to be $1.4K

https://www.pymblehifi.com.au/shop/whatmough-tornado2-classic-active-subwoofer/

Edited by JohnL

SVS subs are good value, they pop up on the classifieds often enough. Haven't heard many other brands but mine blend into my mains very well with a little eq and help from some mic measurements.

One example:

How large is your room? That might also determine how big of a sub you need.

13 hours ago, blakey72 said:

I've had SVS, Velodyne, Subsonic and Wharfedale subs and my current Rel is easily the best I've had as far as integration goes. Grab one of these IMO:

https://www.melbournehifi.com.au/collections/subwoofer/products/rel-t-9i-black

Thanks, thats a bit more than I wanted to spend... really want to keep it around a grand.

35 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

I love my Rel S3 for 2 channel playback, but I found even the largest T series Rel plonked in a corner didn't have the output for my large living area. They are also downward firing so may not be appropriate for a cabinet. SVS SB-2000 might be the go

Edited by blybo

21 hours ago, blybo said:

I love my Rel S3 for 2 channel playback, but I found even the largest T series Rel plonked in a corner didn't have the output for my large living area. They are also downward firing so may not be appropriate for a cabinet. SVS SB-2000 might be the go

Yeah they aren't hugely powerful, I think that's why mine was easier to intergrate. Didn't realize these were downward firing. My R205 is forward firing ?

9 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

Yeah they aren't hugely powerful, I think that's why mine was easier to intergrate. Didn't realize these were downward firing. My R205 is forward firing ?

forward firing with a downward firing passive radiator IIRC

• 3 weeks later...

I have a simple theory on the use of subs with 2 channel music reproduction.

If you believe that you need a sub for 2 channel music reproduction.....you actually admitting your main speakers are not up to this task. ?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1