Sign in to follow this  
Krumlov

Which Yamaha RX-V2081 to RX-V3085?

Hi all,
Looking at similar threads there seems to be guidance that any AVR 2016+ is good so I am looking at a new 3085 or down to a second hand 2081 (I am considering any AMP between those two specs). Trying to decide what matters and if I need to fork out for the latest and greatest. My dedicated HT room layout is shown in the thread I started here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/3068310-will-i-benefit-atmos-amp.html I haven't as yet but it is conceivable to move the FPL and FPR speakers into the ceiling. I will try on the wall initially.

Things have changed since that post (although I still havent bought an AMP!) so I have some questions about the differences between the latest and older models. I have been comparing specs via this site https://www.zkelectronics.com/compare/yamaha-rx-a2060/australia/yamaha-rx-a3080/australia/

Q1. In practice is the improved DAC noticeable. Would ripping my CDs to a higher bitrate MP3 benefit from this? (I think I will rip them again to FLAC regardless)

Q2. The 3085 has dropped support for Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Digital EX. Are there any issues with that or does a different Dolby technology merely replace it?

Q3. Is the HD3 version of Cinema DSP (vs 3D) and Surround AI worth anything?

Q4. I have read that Yamaha's YPAO isn't great but the 3085 adds the words "64-Bit High Precision EQ Calculation". Is that much of an improvement?

Besides the power rating and the 11.2 channels is there anything else that I should be considering when deciding on the next AMP. My main goal is to get the best sound field I can without paying for stuff I don't need. Mainly used for movie viewing via streaming in HD or BluRay (also Laserdisc which has AC-3 output) but also music when the mood takes me! I've always had Yamaha and I'm very happy so plan to stick with them. I was also thinking perhaps the RX-V3079 as with my projector (JVC X35) I don't think I need any of the later video improvements? So yes I can afford the 3085 which is running around $2000 at the moment but if I can pick up second hand for half that and get what I need then happy days.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Speakers:
Focal 716V Mains
Focal CC700V Centre
Focal 605 Front Presence
B&W DS3 as Surround L&R
Focal 605 Surround Back L&R
A Yamaha YST-SW800 Sub

firstly nice, underrated sub.

features.. if you dont need them why pay for them. the 3085 is a 9 amp sub but has 11 preouts. pity yammy only does that on its flagship models.

the ypao on the latest top models is suppose to be the best so far from reading places like audioholics. the models before the ypao was not highly regarded.

will you notice the difference in DACS.. i doubt it as the price wont justify any improved sound you may perceive. room acoustics/set up/EQ will do more for you.

remember the 3085 and all others mentioned are AVR'S not AMPS.. very different.

2 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

remember the 3085 and all others mentioned are AVR'S not AMPS.. very different.

Quite right I mis-typed there.

Thanks for the other thoughts. I am thinking the second hand models will do the job for me (but still keen on other's thoughts) - the issue is they are so  good hardly anyone is selling them!

well that may be the case but seriously they dont hold value imo. everyone wants the newest this and that feature but if you are happy without then bargains can be had.. be patient

On 09/12/2019 at 1:54 PM, Krumlov said:

Q1. In practice is the improved DAC noticeable. Would ripping my CDs to a higher bitrate MP3 benefit from this? (I think I will rip them again to FLAC regardless)

Q2. The 3085 has dropped support for Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby Digital EX. Are there any issues with that or does a different Dolby technology merely replace it?

Q3. Is the HD3 version of Cinema DSP (vs 3D) and Surround AI worth anything?

Q4. I have read that Yamaha's YPAO isn't great but the 3085 adds the words "64-Bit High Precision EQ Calculation". Is that much of an improvement?

I was also thinking perhaps the RX-V3079 as with my projector (JVC X35) I don't think I need any of the later video improvements? So yes I can afford the 3085 which is running around $2000 at the moment but if I can pick up second hand for half that and get what I need then happy days.

1. Rip them to FLAC ; lossless 16/44.1 is not going to eat up much bandwidth compared to a higher bitrate Mp3 . Dac's are only as good as the analogue stage after them . 

2. A raft of DPL2 and Dts codecs have been replaced by better algorithms ie DSU[dolby surround upmix] and DTS Neural . Though some still prefer the older dsp modes ..

3. played back a dolby digital + with atmos of Virus Wars yesterday - with enhanced HD3 and without and couldn't pick the difference with my 7.1.4 setup 😉

Surround AI is a gimmick to simplify choosing a dsp mode ;you can do it manually with an older machine and also set everything up for auto selection with the scene presets..

4.Yes the 64bit version is a bit better [ audyssey processes at 48khz as does dirac but if a processor has the grunt dirac can do 96khz or YPAO can do 64] YPAO'S weakness is its processing doesn't go down low into the subwoofers freq response range where its most needed..

A cheaper avr option will part pay for a 4k projector upgrade so you can enjoy 4K ;HDR and WCG [wide colour gamut

] ; hope something surfaces :)

1 hour ago, cwt said:

A cheaper avr option will part pay for a 4k projector upgrade so you can enjoy 4K ;HDR and WCG [wide colour gamut

] ; hope something surfaces :)

Thanks I'll keep my eye out but the only ones around at the moment have the seller asking way too much. Gumtree has a RX-V3079 for $1500 or a RX-A3050 for $1450. I have seen those for around $1000 and I have seen brand new RX-V3085s for $1900.

Did you see the Yamaha RX-V 3085 Receiver in the Classifieds - Home Theatre / Visual?

Edited by bizzibee