Ikea Kallax Storage

7 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Wow what a room! Nothing useful to add other than what a cool Madonna/Prince shrine 👍

Oh shucks - you are such a sweetheart......(thank you)

I am just stressing out I have the cubes too crammed? and maybe too close to the window..........wish I could have the perfect room.

The room is hard because it is a long room, all tiled and I have window and door one end and stairwell half way - and garage door all in the way...............

Shall attach a pic - mind you the room is not as big as it looks in the photo - iPhone has made it look larger than it is......

But such a tricky room to accomodate everything.

My listening area is of course oppose the TV.

And yes, I do worship at the Madonna / Prince shrine quite a bit :D

IMG_5162.JPG

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome to club Kallax 😀. Won't matter much for your 2x2 unit but best practice is to have your unit flipped 90 degrees so that the long divider shelf is horizontal (yours is vertical) as that provide

Not a big deal to have the 4 x 2 on it's side. I have added a hard wood top, from Bunning's, to mine, after the original top got marked and damaged quite easily.      

Ok so time to update the Kallax Situation........... When "one became two"...........  🤣   I decided to stick with the 2 x 2 and put them together with the wooden feet attached to raise

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I have survived my first summer worrying about the heat warping the records (was no issue), now winter is here I am obsessing about my collection during winter (my first winter with the hobby). 

A few more summers and you will be updating this thread with your 5 x 5 Kallax unit. :P

Just now, John Doe said:

A few more summers and you will be updating this thread with your 5 x 5 Kallax unit. :P

OMG I know right !!! :hyper:

I already have come to the conclusion that I will be sitting my Technics TT on top of another one of these cubes in time to come - already brought 4 x wooden feet in preparation for that whilst they were still in stock coz I want to make sure I have them ready for the future............

wonder how the Technics would go sitting directly on top of a Kallax?

I notice some put them on chopping boards but I guess with everything sitting on tiles and concrete may not be needed?

Currently it is sitting on the Solid Wooden table and had no issues.......

Guess that will be a question for the future eh?

13 hours ago, April Snow said:

I already have come to the conclusion that I will be sitting my Technics TT on top of another one of these cubes in time to come - already brought 4 x wooden feet in preparation for that whilst they were still in stock coz I want to make sure I have them ready for the future............

I notice some put them on chopping boards but I guess with everything sitting on tiles and concrete may not be needed?

You would be fine placing your turntable on top of a Kallax, as long as it is leveled. Your turntable is not fussy about what you place it on, unlike some.

I would suggest leveling the Kallax first, then place the turntable on it and level the turntable. 

1 hour ago, Telecine said:

You would be fine placing your turntable on top of a Kallax, as long as it is leveled. Your turntable is not fussy about what you place it on, unlike some.

I would suggest leveling the Kallax first, then place the turntable on it and level the turntable. 

Thank you, I also read since posting that Technics 1200 are OK on pretty much any surface due to their hefty weight and feet & yes I would level the Kallax, just as I have the current table.  Glad I would not have to put it on a chopping board. Thank you for confirming 🙂

12 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Thank you, I also read since posting that Technics 1200 are OK on pretty much any surface due to their hefty weight and feet & yes I would level the Kallax, just as I have the current table.  Glad I would not have to put it on a chopping board. Thank you for confirming 🙂

Save the chopping boards for the kitchen ;) 

Your set up looks fine. Not too many or too few records in each cubby hole and as regards closeness to the window it's really not an issue. Records are far more robust than people give them credit for. It's true that you can easily scratch one if you're a bit cack handed but weather and indoor conditions won't cause any issues. I've had mine in freezing cold and damp English houses and a stinking hot Western Sydney house and on a boat in enormous boxes between the two and never a problem. You're more likely to run into problems by the careless clots that manufacture them and before you even get to open a new record it's been warped and scuffed at the factory that made the damn thing..

1 hour ago, Hergest said:

Your set up looks fine. Not too many or too few records in each cubby hole and as regards closeness to the window it's really not an issue. Records are far more robust than people give them credit for. It's true that you can easily scratch one if you're a bit cack handed but weather and indoor conditions won't cause any issues. I've had mine in freezing cold and damp English houses and a stinking hot Western Sydney house and on a boat in enormous boxes between the two and never a problem. You're more likely to run into problems by the careless clots that manufacture them and before you even get to open a new record it's been warped and scuffed at the factory that made the damn thing..

Thank you so much for the reply. I had a little brain storm and decided to tape a page of A4 paper on the outside of the Kallax closest to the window to see if it gets damp or crinkles up. So far no change. Nobody can see it there and it will only be temporary through June/July anyway, as that is the longest Winter is on the Gold Coast. 

You are so right though, about new records - I think this is what has triggered my OCD this week about my storage, with a couple of new records arriving with slight edge warps - and always seems to be on the B side when you play them, you can hear the stylus scratching around at the start before the music kicks in and so I started to worry if my records are not stored totally vertical or properly then I might make some of my good records go through this. 

It is awful when something that is exciting arrives only to be disappointed.

I usually keep the slight edge warp ones if all else is good - because I would be forever returning records and there is no guarantee the replacement will be better...............it is a shocking thing we have to compromise on these purchases at times eh?

😳

23 hours ago, April Snow said:

Looks like my TT and gear will be going on a 2x4 kallax that's laying sideways cos doors and drawers have been added to it by my bro.

The IKEA Lack table is known to be a good base so Kallax should be ok if it's made the same.

I had chopping boards before but my base was average tv stand. They did work.

2 hours ago, eman said:

Looks like my TT and gear will be going on a 2x4 kallax that's laying sideways cos doors and drawers have been added to it by my bro.

The IKEA Lack table is known to be a good base so Kallax should be ok if it's made the same.

I had chopping boards before but my base was average tv stand. They did work.

Don't forget to share some photos when you get set up 🙂

12 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Don't forget to share some photos when you get set up 🙂

It's still in boxes on the other side of town.

Improved my Kallax storage this week by replacing the Wharfedale Diamond 121s that lived in them with JBL 4312s.  More studio sound and no loss of bass. Also added Sonos Connect (so Roon and Tidal, as well as Spotify) to the unit, so it now can play all formats and a fair slice of the world’s recorded music. Very versatile unit.

E654C6F5-18F2-4AF4-B73D-A199AD8F258F.jpeg

222250CA-6F7F-4EEC-B21C-206B44D2BE5C.jpeg

7C3DC12D-FC9B-490B-A238-E1C4F3CC7878.jpeg

Edited by KRSDarwin

On 14/06/2020 at 10:48 PM, KRSDarwin said:

Improved my Kallax storage this week by replacing the Wharfedale Diamond 121s that lived in them with JBL 4312s.  More studio sound and no loss of bass. Also added Sonos Connect (so Roon and Tidal, as well as Spotify) to the unit, so it now can play all formats and a fair slice of the world’s recorded music. Very versatile unit.

E654C6F5-18F2-4AF4-B73D-A199AD8F258F.jpeg

222250CA-6F7F-4EEC-B21C-206B44D2BE5C.jpeg

7C3DC12D-FC9B-490B-A238-E1C4F3CC7878.jpeg

Looks fabulous !!

So I finally got around to adding a pool noodle at the back of the Kallax "pigeon holes" to stop the records from sliding all the way back  when I return them & having to straighten them up again - but I still like to have my records a little bit back from the front edge so I cut my Pool Noodle in half lengthways as well. Of course if I decide to bring them forward in the future I can just buy a new noodle and use the full thickness. Hardly expensive at $2.50 each. 

Regarding alphabetising  - I tried going by band/group/surname but it just looked muddled to me - so in the end I just decided to do it the same as iTunes does - by the first letter  - it just kind of made sense as I am used to searching that way in my big iTunes library anyway and digitally on my portable hard drives. Although it rubbed against my grain a little at first as being in Office Admin I am used to filing the typical way.

So yes, Michael Jackson is under "M" and Lady Gaga is under "L"  - using this system.

But it keeps all my libraries whether they are physical or digital the same.

I don't create genres - my library is not big enough for that and I am more of a pop / rock gal anyway ..............

IMG_5265.JPG

IMG_5268.JPG

On 11/06/2020 at 7:35 PM, eman said:

Maybe won't be doing this after all.

Kallax cubes looking too narrow to fit full size gear into after I've filled up the top.

My gear in boxes is with me in my new house, but now I have to wait to get some 'cabinet' thing to put it in. Frustration.

5 hours ago, eman said:

Maybe won't be doing this after all.

Kallax cubes looking too narrow to fit full size gear into after I've filled up the top.

My gear in boxes is with me in my new house, but now I have to wait to get some 'cabinet' thing to put it in. Frustration.

Oh Bugger, they won't fit on the top?

45 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Oh Bugger, they won't fit on the top?

I'm still looking at it and hoping. It would be nice if it fits cos the kallax is already there.

I don't want to have gear everywhere and then try changing furnitire. Much easier to just do it once.

The top might fit a few things like a couple of TT and an amp but then full size CD player/s, DAC, Phono pre.... ???

I see from your photos your record collection is rapidly expanding.

2 hours ago, eman said:

I'm still looking at it and hoping. It would be nice if it fits cos the kallax is already there.

I don't want to have gear everywhere and then try changing furnitire. Much easier to just do it once.

The top might fit a few things like a couple of TT and an amp but then full size CD player/s, DAC, Phono pre.... ???

I see from your photos your record collection is rapidly expanding.

I agree, that is why I tried to get things right from the start myself as I don't like seeing gear everywhere myself but that has of course impacted on my actual choices I have made too - eg. my Amp had to be not very tall etc - but I am happy with things as they are for now & I notice that things are getting more and more compact as time goes by too and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Yes the record count is around 180 x albums and 80 x 12 inch singles (most of the singles are Madonna then Prince)...........

It must be exciting to have your own place now though finally .................🙂

2 hours ago, April Snow said:

I agree, that is why I tried to get things right from the start myself as I don't like seeing gear everywhere myself but that has of course impacted on my actual choices I have made too - eg. my Amp had to be not very tall etc - but I am happy with things as they are for now & I notice that things are getting more and more compact as time goes by too and you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Yes the record count is around 180 x albums and 80 x 12 inch singles (most of the singles are Madonna then Prince)...........

It must be exciting to have your own place now though finally .................🙂

Agree there is a lot of good compact gear on the new market but I went and bought big heavy old stuff, that is hard to move around, for some reason.

Health won't recover and i still have next to nothing.

Can't believe the idiot prices being asked, and paid, for records.

Need to get a vacuum record cleaner and preferred fluids somehow too.

5 minutes ago, eman said:

Agree there is a lot of good compact gear on the new market but I went and bought big heavy old stuff, that is hard to move around, for some reason.

Health won't recover and i still have next to nothing.

Can't believe the idiot prices being asked, and paid, for records.

Need to get a vacuum record cleaner and preferred fluids somehow too.

Its going to take time - it was dramatic what happened to everyone with the fires 😞

Vac Record Cleaner - I still have not got one of those myself - still using Spin Clean...............just not sure what one to get so been putting it off.............

2 hours ago, April Snow said:

Vac Record Cleaner - I still have not got one of those myself - still using Spin Clean...............just not sure what one to get so been putting it off.............

Hi April, the cost is not insubstantial but I swear by my Kirmuss ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine. I purchased it on a Black Friday special for $1,800.  

The inventor might be a little off-centre (his instructions are written in a crazy way with bold and underlining and italics - and what’s with the rabbits on the cloth and the machine?) but his product and system is an absolute winner. Serious vinyl experts and audio journalists have given it the thumbs up (including Mikey Fremer in this month’s Stereophile).  I still have my Spin Clean, which I think is great, but this is a whole new level.

Given the total investment in my system and records I thought in the end it was worth the spend.  Now that I have done it and used it a lot I am very happy with the results.  It is a process however and one where the more you put in the better the results.  

949FF80B-D104-4190-B13E-241B918F7672.jpeg

Edited by KRSDarwin
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, KRSDarwin said:

Hi April, the cost is not insubstantial but I swear by my Kirmuss ultrasonic Record Cleaning Machine. I purchased it on a Black Friday special for $1,800.  

The inventor might be a little off-centre (his instructions are written in a crazy way with bold and underlining and italics - and what’s with the rabbits on the cloth and the machine?) but his product and system is an absolute winner. Serious vinyl experts and audio journalists have given it the thumbs up (including Mikey Fremer in this month’s Stereophile).  I still have my Spin Clean, which I think is great, but this is a whole new level.

Given the total investment in my system and records I thought in the end it was worth the spend.  Now that I have done it and used it a lot I am very happy with the results.  It is a process however and one where the more you put in the better the results.  

949FF80B-D104-4190-B13E-241B918F7672.jpeg

Very nice but that looks way complicated to me - think I might be better off with one of those vac ones? Also that cost is way too high for me I think too, for the amount I have to justify it.......

Edited by April Snow
On 21/06/2020 at 3:49 PM, April Snow said:

Very nice but that looks way complicated to me - think I might be better off with one of those vac ones? Also that cost is way too high for me I think too, for the amount I have to justify it.......

You won’t have any problem with the process. I have never used a vac cleaner but my research suggested this was a better method with superior sound results.  Even for the interest and fun it’s worth googling.  

Yep, cost is an issue but you appear to have a very well curated collection that is rapidly growing and which you look after very well. If you multiply the value of your record collection out and then add the cost of your hi-fi system it might start to appear justified.  It has also allowed me to purchase less than perfect second hand vinyl and clean them up so they sound great. 

But, not here to sell you on the system, just to let you know some of what is out there and my experience with it.  There are some good threads on record cleaning on SNA, so on with the music (some coloured vinyl).  

Edited by KRSDarwin
28 minutes ago, KRSDarwin said:

You won’t have any problem with the process. I have never used a vac cleaner but my research suggested this was a better method with superior sound results.  Even for the interest and fun it’s worth googling.  

Yep, cost is an issue but you appear to have a very well curated collection that is rapidly growing and which you look after very well. If you multiply the value of your record collection out and then add the cost of your hi-fi system it might start to appear justified.  It has also allowed me to purchase less than perfect second hand vinyl and clean them up so they sound great. 

But, not here to sell you on the system, just to let you know some of what is out there and my experience with it.  There are some good threads on Record. Cleaning on SNA, so on with the music (some coloured vinyl).  

Good points for me to consider, thank you - shall research all this when I am feeling more game and can get some lessons somewhere 🙂 👍