Ikea Kallax Storage

22 hours ago, 08Boss302 said:

I store my stuff

* Alphabetical Order (Band)

* Chronological Release Order

All STD 12" Vinyl in that order -

BoxSets and Picture Discs in separate unit

I've actually also got my phono stages, DAC and BlueSound in mine with the Kallax specific glass shelving and some draws for bluray too.

I got some MDF and fastened that to the back of the units too, provides a bit more structural stability but also stopped vinyl etc rubbing on the wall or pushing through.

IMG_20191027_165254.thumb.jpg.57e1a2628d513a883d13917da9faed0b.jpg

IMG_20191027_165243.thumb.jpg.64e4a4a04e75a37b41e77f6f95f1a511.jpg

Nice...........I also store whiskey, rum and rye on top of mine in case I get the urge.....:thumb:

• Like 4

5 hours ago, andyr said:

I'm assuming, TDK, that with a 60kg power amp on the top, your Kallax is oriented correctly - ie. the side verticals sit in between the top and bottom parts of the outside frame?  :)

Andy

Nope, and that was my point. A 2x2 is plenty tough enough.

It's the sideways swaying that makes them topple not the weight on top.

1 hour ago, TDK said:

Nope, and that was my point. A 2x2 is plenty tough enough.

It's the sideways swaying that makes them topple not the weight on top.

Perhaps, TDK - but we obviously have radically different views of the world.  :lol:

Leaving aside 'RTFM' before you build anything - which I  most certainly do - especially with a 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and 5x5 (when there is no difference between width & height) ... it seems bizarre to me that someone would deliberately choose not to orient the bookshelf, the strongest way round?  (Which is with the top - and therefore the bottom - resting on the sides of the frame.)

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mendes said:

Nice...........I also store whiskey, rum and rye on top of mine in case I get the urge.....:thumb:

Hahahahahaha - the difference between the sexes - mine has scented candles on the top, the liqueur I keep in the cupboard to make my Fluffy Ducks !!

??

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andyr said:

Perhaps, TDK - but we obviously have radically different views of the world.  :lol:

Leaving aside 'RTFM' before you build anything - which I  most certainly do - especially with a 2x2, 3x3, 4x4 and 5x5 (when there is no difference between width & height) ... it seems bizarre to me that someone would deliberately choose not to orient the bookshelf, the strongest way round?  (Which is with the top - and therefore the bottom - resting on the sides of the frame.)

Andy

I'm just sticking it to the man.

15 hours ago, andyr said:

Que??

Andy

Buying Ikea is already about as institutionalized and Orwellian as you can get (walking around, following the arrows like a drone on Saturday morning to buy your flatpacks and cheap glasses).

My rebellious streak told me not follow their instructions. Oh and I walked in the opposite direction to the arrows as well.

And I didn't eat their meatballs.

Stickin' it to the man.

10 minutes ago, TDK said:

Buying Ikea is already about as institutionalized and Orwellian as you can get (walking around, following the arrows like a drone on Saturday morning to buy your flatpacks and cheap glasses).

My rebellious streak told me not follow their instructions. Oh and I walked in the opposite direction to the arrows as well.

And I didn't eat their meatballs.

Stickin' it to the man.

Aah so des ka.  :thumb:

And in terms of your 'rebellious streak' ... it seems to me that you possibly:

• ride a bike with your helmet on ... but with the chin-strap not done up?
  • drive a car with the seatbelt just looped across your shoulder ... but not fixed?  :lol:

Me ... I'm just beige conformity, all the way through.  :)

Andy

28 minutes ago, andyr said:

Aah so des ka.  :thumb:

And in terms of your 'rebellious streak' ... it seems to me that you possibly:

• ride a bike with your helmet on ... but with the chin-strap not done up?
  • drive a car with the seatbelt just looped across your shoulder ... but not fixed?  :lol:

Me ... I'm just beige conformity, all the way through.  :)

Andy

LOL no. I'd be the guy riding a bike with a helmet on in a "no helmet rally". Or the guy eating a steak sandwich in a vegan rally. Or the guy going to a strip club on international womens day.

I'm rebellious to mainstream herd thinking, not stupid.

And no I'm not going to Bali for my Christmas holidays either.

What does this have to do with Ikea furniture? Not a lot, but you asked :)

26 minutes ago, TDK said:

LOL no. I'd be the guy riding a bike with a helmet on in a "no helmet rally". Or the guy eating a steak sandwich in a vegan rally. Or the guy going to a strip club on international womens day.

I'm rebellious to mainstream herd thinking, not stupid.

And no I'm not going to Bali for my Christmas holidays either.

What does this have to do with Ikea furniture? Not a lot, but you asked :)

:thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

Andy

I picked up a pair of these 2x4s for $20 a few weeks ago off local gumtree. Organising mostly by genre with some outlier categories; L to R it goes [New acquisitions to be cleaned -- cleaned to listen and sort]
[Record shaped objects/soundtracks/non-music records like bush poetry -- 7" singles/Stuff I'll never listen to]
[Reggae and Dub -- Country]
[Everything else]

Within that I just keep the same artists or related artists next to each other. Nowhere near as impressive as some of the pictures in this thread but much better than the previous solution of having them in cardboard boxes on the flimsy bunning shelf at the side of the picture.

IMG_20191212_184347.thumb.jpg.02297163b4a93eaebe5bdb1b46612eef.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SkipEsquire said:

I picked up a pair of these 2x4s for $20 a few weeks ago off local gumtree. Organising mostly by genre with some outlier categories; L to R it goes [New acquisitions to be cleaned -- cleaned to listen and sort]
[Record shaped objects/soundtracks/non-music records like bush poetry -- 7" singles/Stuff I'll never listen to]
[Reggae and Dub -- Country]
[Everything else]

Within that I just keep the same artists or related artists next to each other. Nowhere near as impressive as some of the pictures in this thread but much better than the previous solution of having them in cardboard boxes on the flimsy bunning shelf at the side of the picture.

IMG_20191212_184347.thumb.jpg.02297163b4a93eaebe5bdb1b46612eef.jpg

Except that you have it oriented the wrong way round - if you are interested in the strength of the unit. :(

Andy

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, andyr said:

Except that you have it oriented the wrong way round - if you are interested in the strength of the unit. :(

Andy

The shelf orientation only really matters when the Kallax is square.

If you think of the sides as a lever, and the weight on the top shelf being the force on that lever (when it is rocked), a non-square Kallax is always more precarious upright than on its side, because the longer the upright side the less force required to bend the unit out of shape. This is why the Kallax long shelves connect the longer sides rather than run parallel to them - they reduce lateral weakness if the shelf is upright in its weaker orientation. 

When the shelf is square, however, and both orientations are equally weak, the long shelves should run horizontal.

IMO, a 2x4 Kallax on its side will always be more stable than upright. The same might not be true of a very large non-square unit like a 5x4, but I imagine that's why Ikea doesn't actually make those. The largest non-square unit they make is the 4x3. 

2 hours ago, twofires said:

The shelf orientation only really matters when the Kallax is square.

If you think of the sides as a lever, and the weight on the top shelf being the force on that lever (when it is rocked), a non-square Kallax is always more precarious upright than on its side, because the longer the upright side the less force required to bend the unit out of shape. This is why the Kallax long shelves connect the longer sides rather than run parallel to them - they reduce lateral weakness if the shelf is upright in its weaker orientation. 

When the shelf is square, however, and both orientations are equally weak, the long shelves should run horizontal.

IMO, a 2x4 Kallax on its side will always be more stable than upright. The same might not be true of a very large non-square unit like a 5x4, but I imagine that's why Ikea doesn't actually make those. The largest non-square unit they make is the 4x3. 

You and me seem to be looking at different things when it comes to the 'strength' of a Kallax unit, twofires.

In your orientation whilst, yes, the whole unit is more stable on its side (as you have it) ... the only thing supporting the ends of the top of the frame ... are the 2 dowels at each end.  You put a 60kg amp on top (in place of your light TT) - like one other poster has done - and 2 dowels under such a heavy weight is not something I would care to risk.  Whereas if the top of the frame was resting on top of the sides of the frame - this would have structural strength.

Likewise, the weight of the LPs in each 'hole' is supported by 2 dowels at each end of each shelf - not a good idea, IMO.

Andy

• Like 2

Some good points already raised here, the internal shelving running the correct way is a big one if you have the larger units.

I cut up pool noodles to place at the back of each cube. It keeps the spines closer to the front of the unit and nice and near when you re-file records.

I have always categorised by genre, and then alphabetically within genre. 

8D92DE41-3EF6-479A-941E-6E1CB36C4887.jpeg

E8A62CAD-4EBC-44FA-9371-F0396DCF0742.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, t_mike said:

The outer frame is not held together with 2 dowels at each end! In fact, there are four long coach screws at each end, so no problems holding the weight. Each of the small shelves has 4 dowels at each end.

Yeah, I was about to mention this. In addition, when a 2x4 is on its side, the three long shelves now stand vertical and provide support for the 'top' along its length.

The whole thing is quite a clever design really.

I did consider the integrity of the shelves, obviously not as much as some other people, but I just don't want it to stand vertical so it is what it is. I also want to add some kind of backing like others have mentioned to stop the dust getting in from the wall side. I started collecting pieces of that thin MDF from the back of wardrobes/drawer units during council collection but didn't end up getting enough good pieces.

49 minutes ago, SkipEsquire said:

I did consider the integrity of the shelves, obviously not as much as some other people, but I just don't want it to stand vertical so it is what it is. I also want to add some kind of backing like others have mentioned to stop the dust getting in from the wall side. I started collecting pieces of that thin MDF from the back of wardrobes/drawer units during council collection but didn't end up getting enough good pieces.

With the shelves being white, you could use corflute. Relatively cheap, and easy to work with.