Ikea Kallax Storage

4 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

thanks mate.

my OCD kicked in and i drilled out rounded holes for the cables on the equipment and got some office desk grommets etc to all make it look as factory as possible.  I have the glass shelf kit for the other side but have not installed it as i dont have other components.  The shelf kit is $10 for all three shelves, amazing.

the draws were a bit more a pain to install, but came with a good template to follow and they hold BluRay's albeit a little awkwardly but suits my purpose.

those two large box draws are full of manuals and the odds and ends i use to clean my vinyl and stylus.  they just slide in and out and are not fixed so if i need the space i can easily make that happen.

Looks like you've properly sleeved all your LP's as well, good work.

Nothing wrong with being OCD. In fact, if you're a record collector and don't have OCD, then you're not doing it right.

2 hours ago, April Snow said:

I am so glad that I posted this photo to run past you guys.

I have spoken to the Factory Foreman (I had this put together at work) and he has apologised and shall have the innards turned around the right way tomorrow when I bring it back to work. He is a little embarrassed. I printed up the photo from the Ikea Website so that helped and yes, the long big should be horizontal as you all say............I might get them to add some extra bracing too if it might help?

Thank you everyone for the help and thank you TB for being the one to point this out - maybe others may learn something too ?

Embarrassed he should be, AS - given he's a cabinet maker!  :lol:

Not sure extra bracing is really needed (on a 2 x 2) - but you could get him to fix down those spacers at the back of the 4 compartments.

Andy

• Like 2

Buying records and having them stored in Kallax shelving is a little bit like slowly putting on weight.

As you increase the amount you have, it's ok.. ok.. ok.. not too bad.. then all of a sudden overnight you wake up and tell yourself, "Damn boy you are a fat f*ck!".

Edited by Guest

58 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

I store my stuff

* Alphabetical Order (Band)

* Chronological Release Order

All STD 12" Vinyl in that order -

BoxSets and Picture Discs in separate unit

I've actually also got my phono stages, DAC and BlueSound in mine with the Kallax specific glass shelving and some draws for bluray too.

I got some MDF and fastened that to the back of the units too, provides a bit more structural stability but also stopped vinyl etc rubbing on the wall or pushing through.

IMG_20191027_165254.thumb.jpg.57e1a2628d513a883d13917da9faed0b.jpg

IMG_20191027_165243.thumb.jpg.64e4a4a04e75a37b41e77f6f95f1a511.jpg

This does look nice, love the glass shelves too.

But isn't this like mine ? Where the longest shelf piece  is going vertical and not horizontal? But I guess as you have put something on the back and braced to the wall helps there? ?

I also put plastic sleeves on my records too - I use the Blake type that are crystal clear. 

Who'd have thought that what I assumed was just a cute beginners photo would cause so much discussion???

Edited by April Snow

1 hour ago, 08Boss302 said:

IMG_20191027_165254.thumb.jpg.57e1a2628d513a883d13917da9faed0b.jpg

You need to rotate your Kallax unit 90 deg!

The thick outer frame should be arranged such that the top of the frame rests on the vertical sides.

Doing this, the way you've put it together means that it's the horizontal shelves that are in one piece - with the verticals broken.  (However your 8x drawers are a problem.  :( )

Andy

Edited by andyr
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, betty boop said:

am guessing its the weight with the lean of the vinyl pushing the dividers side ways that has it all come unstuck :D 

suspecting that a rear back panel whether mdf or even 4 mm sheet and tacked against each (uprights and horizontals) bits would also work to brace the whole thing together. ikea I think only coincidentally realised what people were using these things for. infact wasnt there an article they axed them and had to bring them back again with the outcry...what are we going to put our vinyl in :D 

Ikea says this on the Kallax maximum shelf weight of 13 kilos...................I remember being told they were discontinued for a while too.

• Like 1

I now have mental images of people at home tonight undoing their Kallax systems and sticking pins in my eyes using a Voodoo doll named "April Snow" LOL

Sorry guys, thought it was an innocent post ?

PS Crates are starting to look really attractive now ..........................?

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

So even where you work can't put a simple box together.  Embarrassed?

Lucky you didn't name them.

Have to wonder how I ever got mine right.

I've got the version before 'Kallax'. It was called something else before production was suspended.  Don't know if they're exactly the same.

1 minute ago, eman said:

So even where you work can't put a simple box together.  Embarrassed?

Lucky you didn't name them.

Have to wonder how I ever got mine right.

I've got the version before 'Kallax'. It was called something else before production was suspended.  Don't know if they're exactly the same.

I know and funny thing is, I have put my own flat packs together before myself and never had an issue as I am one of those that lays everything out and reads and follows every instruction to the letter - the only reason I brought it in to work is because I wanted feet on it and don't own a drill !! So I thought might as well get them to do it at the same time...............................

It is an honest mistake I guess - looks like it can happen easily enough looking through this thread maybe?

19 minutes ago, April Snow said:

I now have mental images of people at home tonight undoing their Kallax systems and sticking pins in my eyes using a Voodoo doll named "April Snow" LOL

Sorry guys, thought it was an innocent post ?

PS Crates are starting to look really attractive now ..........................?

as it happens :D I have two versions of these just the single uprights and I bought the crate :D yes ikea even makes a crate that fits in each cubicle and have records in one....:D 

$14.99and its called lekman

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30247137/?gclid=CjwKCAiA27LvBRB0EiwAPc8XWRAGRNizODE8vHZ2Zg6upxvqgLx2p7lCVyXE4clDEsq0YwqYHpdFHRoCRFUQAvD_BwE

ps the crate fits the version before kallax, presume (perhaps wrongly) also fits current series ! 

lekman-box-white__0418264_PE575334_S5.JP

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, andyr said:

You need to rotate your Kallax unit 90 deg!

The thick outer frame should be arranged such that the top of the frame rests on the vertical sides.

Doing this, the way you've put it together means that it's the horizontal shelves that are in one piece - with the verticals broken.  (However your 8x drawers are a problem.  :( )

Andy

LOL, first thing I did when you and TB posted was check mine but unfortunately now with the shelving and draws its  done thing.  Also, for me, i needed the height at x3 cubes up and x4 across, by rotating 90deg i lose that.  It was conscious thing when setting it up but I'll admit that it never crossed my mind on the shelving - if anything the opposite theory hit me where I thought the shorter run would be more stable with weight as opposed to the longer run but I was wrong.

I've had these for some time and been pretty safe - don't want to mozz myself but hopefully that continues and i dont fall prey to Kallax avalanche.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, betty boop said:

as it happens :D I have two versions of these just the single uprights and I bought the crate :D yes ikea even makes a crate that fits in each cubicle and have records in one....:D 

$14.99and its called lekman

https://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/30247137/?gclid=CjwKCAiA27LvBRB0EiwAPc8XWRAGRNizODE8vHZ2Zg6upxvqgLx2p7lCVyXE4clDEsq0YwqYHpdFHRoCRFUQAvD_BwE

ps the crate fits the version before kallax, presume (perhaps wrongly) also fits current series ! 

lekman-box-white__0418264_PE575334_S5.JP

They are nice - the link says they do fit the Kallax ?

• Like 1

They used to be called EXPEDIT

I’m going to put this here because no one has mentioned it yet and, although it’s slightly OT (unless this is to become just a general KALLAX appreciation thread) everyone should watch it because it’s a delight. 

Edited by RankStranger
  • Like 3

I've got the old Expedit. A 5 X 5 and a 5 X 1 alongside. A to Z starting from the top left as you face it. Boxsets sitting on top and some in the last Z section that are slowly being moved as the total record amount increases.

I must admit, I much prefer the way I used to do it on normal shelves with the covers facing outwards so the display changed as you bought more albums and moved each section, but the Expedit is a much more efficient use of space.

Expedit.jpeg.41957ac778d0bc61986da40a2a0be381.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RankStranger said:

They used to be called EXPEDIT

I’m going to put this here because no one has mentioned it yet and, although it’s slightly OT (unless this is to become just a general KALLAX appreciation thread) everyone should watch it because it’s a delight. 

And look - his white cabinet at the start like MINE !!

You guys sure mine is wrong????????

His long shelf is vertical too !!!

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 6.37.23 pm.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, April Snow said:

And look - his white cabinet at the start like MINE !!

You guys sure mine is wrong????????

His long shelf is vertical too !!!

Screen Shot 2019-12-09 at 6.37.23 pm.png

I really don't think it's going to matter on your 2x2. Changing it might be more hassle than it's worth. IKEA aren't made to be dismantled.

Maybe just something to remember when you get a bigger one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eman said:

I really don't think it's going to matter on your 2x2. Changing it might be more hassle than it's worth. IKEA aren't made to be dismantled.

Maybe just something to remember when you get a bigger one.

I dunno, but I am OCD so it will worry me - I have it in the car now, the guys can look at it tomorrow a small bit of ally angle might be worth putting in the corners instead just to brace it who knows, although the boss says the top and sides should come off easy enough and the centre only needs turning around - hopefully..............

2 hours ago, April Snow said:

I dunno, but I am OCD so it will worry me - I have it in the car now, the guys can look at it tomorrow a small bit of ally angle might be worth putting in the corners instead just to brace it who knows, although the boss says the top and sides should come off easy enough and the centre only needs turning around - hopefully..............

You really don’t need to worry.. I’ve got a 2x2 filled to the brim with records with a 60kg power amp sitting on the top of it.

you’re good, you really are. They are really tough.

9 hours ago, metal beat said:

Now put a block of ply wood in every cube wide enough to bring the records more forward. 

They are too deep when standard and the records sit back to far in the cubes - imo

Yes they are I agree, I saw this idea too that he says lessens the gap at the back and also can offer some stregthening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl0dPTrhxRM

And I just saw in the comments some people use the pool noodles at the back - easy to cut and much softer than wood - that is a pretty cool idea too, and so cheap

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, TDK said:

You really don’t need to worry.. I’ve got a 2x2 filled to the brim with records with a 60kg power amp sitting on the top of it.

I'm assuming, TDK, that with a 60kg power amp on the top, your Kallax is oriented correctly - ie. the side verticals sit in between the top and bottom parts of the outside frame?  :)

Andy

Edited by andyr

22 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

Welcome to club Kallax ?. Won't matter much for your 2x2 unit but best practice is to have your unit flipped 90 degrees so that the long divider shelf is horizontal (yours is vertical) as that provides better support. There have been some horror stories in the past about collapsing shelves on large units having the same arrangement as yours.

Another good tip is to pop into Bunnings and get one of the guys to cut a piece of 60mm x 40mm timber into 330mm lengths and place at the back of the shelves. That wa all your records remain perfectly aligned and dont get pushed in when making a selection.

Like this....

20191209_103518.thumb.jpg.f0f92ddee833303623ae8cf82c19fee1.jpg

If SNA had an "Advice of the Week" award, this would get my vote.

• Like 3

Having said that, though, I imagine it's only an issue for units over 3 shelves high. My 5x5 is set up correctly, but, much like @08Boss302 I have a 3x4 I've laid on its side for layout reasons so the long pieces are vertical. So far, no dramas.

My advice:

- Check the bolts are tight once a year or so

- If you get a bigger unit (4x4 or 5x5) secure it firmly to the wall. One of those loaded with vinyl could do some serious damage if it fell on you

Edited by twofires
Clarity
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, twofires said:

If SNA had an "Advice of the Week" award, this would get my vote.

Me too, although I like the idea of the Pool Noodles cut to size as well, because when you push a record back in, you are unlikely to damage the edges of the LP Jacket by mistake as they are softer? I am going to go and get some white ones ?

• Like 1