Ikea Kallax Storage

Ok so I have joined the Kallax Club ?

& Yes, I had feet put on mine to make it look less "cube like".

Any tips on vinyl storage in these?

I am thinking maybe best to keep the 180 gram & double gatefolds records in a group and the single "standard" albums together (so the weight of the heavier records doesn't squash them?) and the 12 inch singles keep on their own as they are just in thinner sleeves.

Would be interested on any tips or seeing photos or yours !!!!!

I wonder how long it will take me to fill this then upgrade - LOL.

?

Kallax.JPG

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 2

However it helps you find the one you want to play. No functional need to keep the weights separate.

I predict those little boxes will need to move fairly soon.

I stack mine (mostly)  by genre and then artist.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, eman said:

However it helps you find the one you want to play. No functional need to keep the weights separate.

I predict those little boxes will need to move fairly soon.

I stack mine (mostly)  by genre and then artist.

Thanks for that, I was worried maybe the bigger heavier records might squash those little thin 80s ones, so wondered if a good idea to keep them segregated - the fatties and skinnies, not wanting to "Fat Shame" any LPS - nothing personal you big fat 180 gram gate folds OK???????

The little boxes are for Madonna's CD singles (yes I have every one of those apart from two from over the years) but I have another space for them when needed, just wanted to put something there for now.

The top of the Kallax is bare - so a good little station to get them albums out etc - but I usually do my cleaning at the kitchen bench  - just easier. 

36 minutes ago, t_mike said:

Start going to record fairs and you'll fill that in no time. An area set aside for those that need a clean isn't a bad idea either.

??

This is a true story, only just over 2 months worth of collecting already and I have not been to a Fair yet - just been keeping my postman busy

Edited by April Snow

Welcome to club Kallax ?. Won't matter much for your 2x2 unit but best practice is to have your unit flipped 90 degrees so that the long divider shelf is horizontal (yours is vertical) as that provides better support. There have been some horror stories in the past about collapsing shelves on large units having the same arrangement as yours.

Another good tip is to pop into Bunnings and get one of the guys to cut a piece of 60mm x 40mm timber into 330mm lengths and place at the back of the shelves. That wa all your records remain perfectly aligned and dont get pushed in when making a selection.

Like this....

20191209_103518.thumb.jpg.f0f92ddee833303623ae8cf82c19fee1.jpg

Mine are arranged A-Z with large collections of an artist with its own placeholder.

20191209_103435.thumb.jpg.cf5500c6a55b5da2ea77ac35f63465b5.jpg

Oh and you'd probably be the only one interested on SNA in my purchase while visiting the Gold Coast last week (cannot believe I found some singles I didn't actually have haha).

20191209_103704.thumb.jpg.0f2f3b2bf42a2c82634a5c77fd992de1.jpg

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Welcome to club Kallax ?. Won't matter much for your 2x2 unit but best practice is to have your unit flipped 90 degrees so that the long divider shelf is horizontal (yours is vertical) as that provides better support. There have been some horror stories in the past about collapsing shelves on large units having the same arrangement as yours.

Another good tip is to pop into Bunnings and get one of the guys to cut a piece of 60mm x 40mm timber into 330mm lengths and place at the back of the shelves. That wa all your records remain perfectly aligned and dont get pushed in when making a selection.

Like this....

20191209_103518.thumb.jpg.f0f92ddee833303623ae8cf82c19fee1.jpg

Mine are arranged A-Z with large collections of an artist with its own placeholder.

Oh and you'd probably be the only one interested on SNA in my purchase while visiting the Gold Coast last week (cannot believe I found some singles I didn't actually have haha).

20191209_103704.thumb.jpg.0f2f3b2bf42a2c82634a5c77fd992de1.jpg

Oh dear, well no chance of me flipping over the Kallax now - those feet are glued and screwed on and I work for a cabinemaking company and they assembled the Kallax for me. So guess I shall have to just hope it will be OK.

I also went to Beatniks yesterday (first time) and I got a Madonna Bad Girl 12 inch single too (with the Erotica Remixes) - I have the one with the Fever Remixes - such a great place to visit though - I can see I will be forever broke when I go there !!!

Good tip about the wood behind, I will do that and paint them white -

I also saw a tip on You Tube for that as well, to push flat behind the records the LP shipping boxes as they are a perfect fit to stop the albums sliding back too. 

Tips are always good......

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Well done for pointing this out, TB!  :thumb:

However, it's not simply a matter of the OP rotating her Kallax unit 90 deg.

Looking at the pic of her unit ... the outside frame is set up correctly.  Just like with yours - the outside verticals rest on the outside horizontals.

The problem with the OP's unit lies with the arrangement of the internal  shelving.  As you say, the horizontal shelf should be in one piece - with the vertical divider broken into 2 pieces.

So I think AS needs to dis-assemble her Kallaz unit and rebuild it the right way round.  :)

Andy

2 hours ago, andyr said:

Well done for pointing this out, TB!  :thumb:

However, it's not simply a matter of the OP rotating her Kallax unit 90 deg.

Looking at the pic of her unit ... the outside frame is set up correctly.  Just like with yours - the outside verticals rest on the outside horizontals.

The problem with the OP's unit lies with the arrangement of the internal  shelving.  As you say, the horizontal shelf should be in one piece - with the vertical divider broken into 2 pieces.

So I think AS needs to dis-assemble her Kallaz unit and rebuild it the right way round.  :)

Andy

I am so glad that I posted this photo to run past you guys.

I have spoken to the Factory Foreman (I had this put together at work) and he has apologised and shall have the innards turned around the right way tomorrow when I bring it back to work. He is a little embarrassed. I printed up the photo from the Ikea Website so that helped and yes, the long big should be horizontal as you all say............I might get them to add some extra bracing too if it might help?

Thank you everyone for the help and thank you TB for being the one to point this out - maybe others may learn something too ?

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, eman said:

Do Kallax come with a backing plate now ?

I've got previous model and the back is open.

No they are open - it is just I have white walls - so looks that way ?

Mind you some MDF could be nailed on there easily enough and painted if one wanted to.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, April Snow said:

Don't worry - some Etta James, Dire Straits and others are creeping in too - just that one tends to go for their favs first I think ?

Of course! That wasn’t a dig, you just reminded me of the quote :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RankStranger said:

Of course! That wasn’t a dig, you just reminded me of the quote :) 

I didn't take it as a dig -  just wanted you to know I am not totally one-eyed - I like to see what else is around. I am actually trying to get things I don't own on CD to make it a nicer Vinyl collection too, more rounded. 

It did make me smile though ?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Neurone said:

This is what can happen with the larger ones:

Collapse.jpg.0e2de436f279b93115f87e36d9451f87.jpg

am guessing its the weight with the lean of the vinyl pushing the dividers side ways that has it all come unstuck :D 

suspecting that a rear back panel whether mdf or even 4 mm sheet and tacked against each (uprights and horizontals) bits would also work to brace the whole thing together. ikea I think only coincidentally realised what people were using these things for. infact wasnt there an article they axed them and had to bring them back again with the outcry...what are we going to put our vinyl in :D 

• Like 1

I store my stuff

* Alphabetical Order (Band)

* Chronological Release Order

All STD 12" Vinyl in that order -

BoxSets and Picture Discs in separate unit

I've actually also got my phono stages, DAC and BlueSound in mine with the Kallax specific glass shelving and some draws for bluray too.

I got some MDF and fastened that to the back of the units too, provides a bit more structural stability but also stopped vinyl etc rubbing on the wall or pushing through.

IMG_20191027_165254.thumb.jpg.57e1a2628d513a883d13917da9faed0b.jpg

IMG_20191027_165243.thumb.jpg.64e4a4a04e75a37b41e77f6f95f1a511.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Neurone said:

This is what can happen with the larger ones:

Collapse.jpg.0e2de436f279b93115f87e36d9451f87.jpg

I think that's more of an urban myth than anything.

If you have something on either side to stop it slanting, or fix it to the wall, there's no chance of that happening.

I've got mine piled up to the ceiling (8 cubes wide by 5 cubes high) , absolutely jam packed solid, and they have been as solid as a rock for over a year now.

I'm more worried about the floor on the second story in my house caving in :)

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, 08Boss302 said:

IMG_20191027_165243.thumb.jpg.64e4a4a04e75a37b41e77f6f95f1a511.jpg

Looks great man. I really should stop buying. My place is starting to look like a freaking warehouse, not anywhere near as neat and tidy as that. I'm living in Kallax purgatory.

8 minutes ago, TDK said:

Looks great man. I really should stop buying. My place is starting to look like a freaking warehouse, not anywhere near as neat and tidy as that. I'm living in Kallax purgatory.

thanks mate.

my OCD kicked in and i drilled out rounded holes for the cables on the equipment and got some office desk grommets etc to all make it look as factory as possible.  I have the glass shelf kit for the other side but have not installed it as i dont have other components.  The shelf kit is $10 for all three shelves, amazing.

the draws were a bit more a pain to install, but came with a good template to follow and they hold BluRay's albeit a little awkwardly but suits my purpose.

those two large box draws are full of manuals and the odds and ends i use to clean my vinyl and stylus.  they just slide in and out and are not fixed so if i need the space i can easily make that happen.