Won't get fooled again (or will I)

I spent a very enjoyable afternoon yesterday listening to my second system.  It was only when I turned it off that I realised that I'd been listening to my Plinius power amp on the Class A/B setting instead of the Class A setting I normally use.

I didn't notice any difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bronal said:

I spent a very enjoyable afternoon yesterday listening to my second system.  It was only when I turned it off that I realised that I'd been listening to my Plinius power amp on the Class A/B setting instead of the Class A setting I normally use.

I think that counts as a blind test :) 

• Like 1

The difference between A and A/B on my Marantz PM4 is night and day.

The same was with my Marantz MA6's when I had them. In both cases,you would just not listen to Class A/B.

Maybe your Class A/B has a very high bias level thats not really "Full" Class A and it runs into A/B.

If you were listening at average SPL's then it most probably stayed in A.

• Like 1

I owned a Marantz PM 80 SE and I generally preferred it running in class A/B than class A although the difference between the two was quite small . That was on a range of speakers.

I have also owned other class A  only amps and they did not sound better than some of my class A/B amps.More boring and lacking in vibrancy if anything.

Edited by THOMO

7 hours ago, Bronal said:

Hi Alan. Glad you had a nice time. However, since the amplifier was sighted.....................................:)

image.png.37beb3a4919b529d33cab92dd1a6e939.png

Edited by rantan

18 minutes ago, JukKluk2 said:

Off topic, I know, but.......

Hey, @March Audio, is that for real, Alabny? Unless www.whereis.com is out to lunch, I suspect that you might be in Albany. When I was 4 years old, I cut my brother's finger off with an axe, out the back of the family home in Aberdeen Street in that very same town. (They successfully sewed it back on, should you be wondering.)

Yes we have recently re-located from Perth to Albany. Beautiful countryside, great wildlife including roos in the garden.

View from the office/workshop.

view.thumb.jpg.66ff4a60ce40ffeeea5d2cbcfdf39d50.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, THOMO said:

I owned a Marantz PM 80 SE and I generally preferred it running in class A/B than class A although the difference between the two was quite small . That was on a range of speakers.

I have also owned other class A  only amps and they did not sound better than some of my class A/B amps.More boring and lacking in vibrancy if anything.

The PM80SE wasnt a very good amp IMO. Even though I sold them. Class A boring? What amps were those? I'm running a Class A/B amplifier at the moment and its great. But then, so are my Class A biased Mono's. Just need more grunt with the Gales.

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

The PM80SE wasnt a very good amp IMO. Even though I sold them. Class A boring? What amps were those? I'm running a Class A/B amplifier at the moment and its great. But then, so are my Class A biased Mono's. Just need more grunt with the Gales.

I also owned a First Watt F5.That was boring/lacking in vibrancy even on lively sounding speakers.I borrowed a massive hot running Jean Hirage Le Monstre class A amp which was not boring at all but sounded very transitory so more like an old school class A/B in sound -a bit like an old Phase Linear in sound really.I also owned an HSA single ended class A amp that looked  and acted like room heater and that sounded OK but nothing special.

I have heard nothing to indicate that there is a typical class A sound and there are good and not so good sounding ones just like class A/B.The Accuphase class A amps certainly sound nice but so do their class A/B.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, THOMO said:

I also owned a First Watt F5.That was boring/lacking in vibrancy even on lively sounding speakers.I borrowed a massive hot running Jean Hirage Le Monstre class A amp which was not boring at all but sounded very transitory so more like an old school class A/B in sound -a bit like an old Phase Linear in sound really.I also owned an HSA single ended class A amp that looked  and acted like room heater and that sounded OK but nothing special.

I have heard nothing to indicate that there is a typical class A sound and there are good and not so good sounding ones just like class A/B.The Accuphase class A amps certainly sound nice but so do their class A/B.

Damn, two opposites ?I find Accuphase  overly controlled mild and boring. No get up and go. Mind you, I havent heard one for around 10 years, so maybe they have got better.

Those other SS amp you mention sound like they are bad Negative feedback designs. I don't think the F5 was Passes best First Watter from memory. As a matter of fact, I don't even think he mentioned it in the interview with Steve Guttenberg.

Got me mate. I'm heavily into Presence. If I have to sit down and listen, I've found the Class A amps that I've owned do this in spades. Except for Mark's Holton inspired 300 watter which I now own. Thats entertainment.

57 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

I think what we have here is personal preferences, even when we look for something similar it can still be a little different. :)

In before someone comes and insists that tool [sic] says we all prefer the same sound.

Edited by Ittaku

Guest Muon N'
4 minutes ago, Ittaku said:

In before someone comes and insists that tool [sic] says we all prefer the same sound.

As sure as Trump likes cheeseburgers :thumb:

1 hour ago, Wimbo said:

Damn, two opposites ?I find Accuphase  overly controlled mild and boring. No get up and go. Mind you, I havent heard one for around 10 years, so maybe they have got better.

Those other SS amp you mention sound like they are bad Negative feedback designs. I don't think the F5 was Passes best First Watter from memory. As a matter of fact, I don't even think he mentioned it in the interview with Steve Guttenberg.

Got me mate. I'm heavily into Presence. If I have to sit down and listen, I've found the Class A amps that I've owned do this in spades. Except for Mark's Holton inspired 300 watter which I now own. Thats entertainment.

Yes I love presence too.You should try to hear a Bakoon amplifier as they have heaps of it and sound remarkably vivid and 'lit up from within" and yet also smooth and natural.And they are class A/B although the Satri circuit is unique ,uses no negative feedback and is also current drive so is a long way from your typical class A/B.A bit more like a SET really.