How come my ‘c’ system can excite me

as much as my ‘A’ system if i’m listening to a mix tape i made in high school in the 80’s ? 

So i invested about 17 k in ‘A’ system which is lots for some, peanuts for others and it’s solely for vinyl and it rocks my world, set up as best as i can in main living room with all due ‘living’ considerations. Love it. System ‘C’ is a hotchpotch of all old bits and pieces roughly put together in a library with only aesthetic placement considerations. I only play cassettes on ‘C’ and found said old tape recently, heard some tunes from way back and i was in nostalgic audio nirvana. I’m interested to hear others thoughts on high end listening vs low end listening and how nostalgia plays a huge part in this hobby and how sound reproduction can be transcended by sentiment ... or maybe its just me ??

• Like 2

It's all about the music. Without music, high end audio is useless. Without high end audio, music can still be enjoyed on and old transistor 6 radio. If you connect with the music, it's good, if you don't, it's faeces, regardless of what you listen to it on.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, t_mike said:

It's all about the music. Without music, high end audio is useless. Without high end audio, music can still be enjoyed on and old transistor 6 radio. If you connect with the music, it's good, if you don't, it's faeces, regardless of what you listen to it on.

I agree, music can be enjoyed on any system, the higher end you go the more you expect and you can end up just listening for faults.

• Like 4

Had this same experience many times

I find (or think) this is because in my A system I end up listening to the system more and focusing on imaging etc etc where in my B system I subconsciously (or consciously) probably care less and find myself just listening to the music more. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, t_mike said:

Agree with this, lower expectations about the performance of C and music you love is where it starts, I hope I never lose the aspect of enjoying the music I love regardless of what system it’s coming out of.

4 hours ago, jt301 said:

Scott, I wonder if you had say a Tidal feed into your A system and set up a playlist of the same songs that you have on cassette, would you enjoy it as much as the cassette playing on your C system?

i think it was a great surprise to find what was in that cassette so it just took me back, even though it was so muffled sounded like i was under water. I think if i made a playlist for ‘A’ it would be too orchestrated and would loose the ‘ ohhh **** yeah I love this song !! 

On 08/12/2019 at 12:42 PM, Interface said:

Maybe there's a certain synergy in your C system that does everything right for you and throws you back to your younger years and the associated good vibes.

I agree.

Edited by 5L15
I agree

4 hours ago, Interface said:

Maybe there's a certain synergy in your C system that does everything right for you and throws you back to your younger years and the associated good vibes.

that’s it for sure, added to that the surprise of not knowing what was next and sitting on the carpet with my legs crossed like back when taping straight off the radio. Hope it happens again.

It's about synergy too I think. I have the same thing from time to time, my 'd' system sounds as good or better than my 'a' system. My 'a' system is my accurate/detailed system. My 'b' system is my shake the windows/heavy metal/HT system, 'c' is my retro system and my 'd' system is my budget (cheap stuff can sound good) system. 

I've swapped probably every possible combination and this seems to gel the best in every system. So yeah, your 'c' might be a good combo that is easy to listen to and forgiving :) Enjoy it

12 minutes ago, blakey72 said:

It's about synergy too I think. I have the same thing from time to time, my 'd' system sounds as good or better than my 'a' system. My 'a' system is my accurate/detailed system. My 'b' system is my shake the windows/heavy metal/HT system, 'c' is my retro system and my 'd' system is my budget (cheap stuff can sound good) system. 

I've swapped probably every possible combination and this seems to gel the best in every system. So yeah, your 'c' might be a good combo that is easy to listen to and forgiving :) Enjoy it

Four systems, I have trouble coping with one. ?

Edited by awayward
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, hammer193 said:

high end listening vs low end listening

Distortion and noise performance required for acceptable quality playback is drastically overstated in our modern world of "specsmanship".

If the recording is ok, and the speaker is not garbage, then it will/can sound quite excellent.    The playback system (cassette, vinyl, digital) or the electronics, don't need to be a bottleneck.

• Like 2

I've found that how much you enjoy your A system heavily comes down to the source. Your A system in most cases has superior imaging, transparency and insight into the music though can often lose that musicality that makes everything so worthwhile.

I've found that using DAC's based around chips that were common when younger seem to let me get into music in the same way I did back then, and once modestly modified you're not really giving up much if anything to more modern DAC anyway. My current preferences lean towards DAC based around the Phillips TDA1541A or TDA1387 though strangely I don't much care for the TDA1543 finding it quite rolled off in both treble and bass in comparison. The TDA1387 gives the deepest bass response of anything I've ever come across and it's quite extended at the top end also.

On the vinyl front, same deal. I don't want to spend the $1,200 for another Valab LCR-1 phono, or the cost for a pure silver Litz tonearm interconnect that would get this systems performance in line with my main.

I currently have my A system to a level where I'm seriously considering selling off my B system in the second living room. I have don't have the time or inclination to get it to a similar level and it's comparatively unsatisfying. It's a night and day difference.

Edited by MattyW