Sign in to follow this  
Mat-with-one-t

Phono stage options for dual arm setups

Hi all.  I’m on a slow journey towards a dual arm turntable setup.  It’s slow as I am just collecting parts as I go, as they come up on the market at good prices.  It all adds up quick, what with a 9” and a 12” arm, carts for each, plinth, turntable, etc.  ouch.

The table is a Garrard 401 in a plinth for 2 arms with changeable armboards.

Arm 1: Ortofon 9” TA-110.  Likely running LOMC stereo carts.

Arm 2: Audio Creative 12” Groovemaster 2. Likely running SPU’s, hopefully including a mono cart

In my mind there’re a few options for the Phono Stage.

1. Use a different stage for each arm.  

- advantage perhaps using stages better “tuned” to each arm setup

- disadvantage perhaps cost, cabling, space....

- having to switch, or worse, to plug/unplug all the time

2. Use a stage that can cope with everything

- advantage is neat and simpler.

- disadvantage maybe trying the “one size fits all” approach.  Also few options out there, and all really expensive (such as the Luxman EQ-500, at 3x the value of my Subaru)

My inclination for the SPU arm is perhaps tubes.  I’m also happy to build a kit.  I would’ve loved one of Duc’s stages for example.  I currently have a Black Cube SE on my VPI Classic which does a great job.  

I’ll be eventually building a custom cabinet for the table and the rest of my kit, so I can allocate space.  

Interested in hearing how people have approached the dual-arm or multiple table approach!

Mat

I use a DIY hybrid tube phono, with a mc and a mm stage. Have MM cart on the 9" and MC on the 12". So each can be set up correctly for cart and its simply by flicking a switch to one to the other. 

Not sure if he still sells kits.

https://tavishdesign.com/

Sure there will be others out there that allow for a simple flick of a switch.

The musical fidelity M6 and nuvista phono stages have three inputs, which can be configured independently,  and range from moderately to very expensive. I have not heard anything bad about them, but to be fair I have struggled to find anything much about them at all on the internet. Someone called out for SNA experiences with them a while back without any response. I would like the nuvista phono to match my integrated, but at $7000, it is a bit more than what I can afford!

I would like a double arm table, but have had to compromise with an arm with interchangeable headshells/carts. First world problems, as they say. 

12 hours ago, Douglas HiFi said:

The Gold Note PH10 sounds great and has reviewed very, very well.

https://www.goldnote.it/phono-stages/ph-10/

Adding the optional PS10 power supply raise it up a notch or two.

I believe there will soon be an optional tube output stage add on as well.

Cheers Douglas 😏.  I’ve come across that one in the past.  I’ll do some reading.....looks promising, esp if they come up with a tube output stage....

On 07/12/2019 at 4:55 PM, awty said:

I use a DIY hybrid tube phono, with a mc and a mm stage. Have MM cart on the 9" and MC on the 12". So each can be set up correctly for cart and its simply by flicking a switch to one to the other. 

Not sure if he still sells kits.

https://tavishdesign.com/

Sure there will be others out there that allow for a simple flick of a switch.

Thanks mate.  I recall Tavish as an option, but they always seem “sold out” or “new version coming”.....I wonder if they’re still going?  I recall good reviews.  I’ll contact them....

On 08/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, Mat-with-one-t said:

Thanks mate.  I recall Tavish as an option, but they always seem “sold out” or “new version coming”.....I wonder if they’re still going?  I recall good reviews.  I’ll contact them....

Did you receive an answer? Would be interested if he is still making them.

On 08/12/2019 at 5:20 PM, Mat-with-one-t said:

Anyone know of all-Tube units that can cope with all this?

Yes - Aesthetix Rhea. Sounds great but you need very low noise tubes in the first two positions so 4 low noise in total.

On 21 December 2019 at 1:45 PM, Gryffles said:

Yes - Aesthetix Rhea. Sounds great but you need very low noise tubes in the first two positions so 4 low noise in total.

Any globes in mind?

56 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Any globes in mind?

Jim McShane will hand select Sovtek 12ax7lps if you tell him they are for a Rhea

2 hours ago, Gryffles said:

Jim McShane will hand select Sovtek 12ax7lps if you tell him they are for a Rhea

To be clear he hand selects them after testing them one at a time for noise

On 21/12/2019 at 1:59 PM, awty said:

Did you receive an answer? Would be interested if he is still making them.

Yep they are.  They no longer do kits though.....

On 21/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, Gryffles said:

On 21/12/2019 at 2:15 PM, Gryffles said:

Exactly what I’m after, but maybe with one digit too many on the price!!  Bugger.....

On 07/12/2019 at 5:32 PM, Juzbear said:

The musical fidelity M6 and nuvista phono stages have three inputs, which can be configured independently,  and range from moderately to very expensive. I have not heard anything bad about them, but to be fair I have struggled to find anything much about them at all on the internet. Someone called out for SNA experiences with them a while back without any response. I would like the nuvista phono to match my integrated, but at $7000, it is a bit more than what I can afford!

I would like a double arm table, but have had to compromise with an arm with interchangeable headshells/carts. First world problems, as they say. 

Yeah geez.  All units with a great feature set start hitting that $7k mark.  May be cheaper to have 2 stages...!

30 minutes ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

Exactly what I’m after, but maybe with one digit too many on the price!!  Bugger.....

What is your budget?

8 minutes ago, Gryffles said:

What is your budget?

Not exactly sure as yet,ate, but certainly not $7k.  My missus would put an adjustable load on my own cantilever.....