Sign in to follow this  
hbaruas

Wharfedale Vs klipsch

Hi,

Just in the process of setting up my HT for 40 % movies + 60 % music.

I know the ELAC uni fi ub5 have some great reviews , but they are quite expensive, and so are kef q100s which were sold for $600 by Amazon during the recent black Friday sale.

I am looking for bookshelf speakers around the $500 mark max.

Would you go for wharfedale diamond 11.2 or klipsch RB 61 ii.

Now I have read about klipsch being bright, signature horn sound etc.

My main question actually is : Considering the RB61 ii is around 8-10 years old design/ tech will it still be considered good today for around $500? Should I buy it ?

After the speaker, I will read the forums to decide on the avr to be bought ...preferably Yamaha 1085/ denon.

I will add a subwoofer down the line too ( again svs/ hsu are pretty expensive so I will build up the confirmation gradually).

Thanks

Edited by hbaruas
Model name

Hi and welcome to Stereonet @hbaruas 😊

On 06/12/2019 at 10:28 PM, hbaruas said:

Would you go for wharfedale diamond 11.2 or klipsch RB 61 ii.

Completely different styles of sound with these two brands, so much so that it's worth your time to go have a listen to both brands in-store. I've heard the newer model Klipsch (RP-600M) and loved it, but a friend of mine preferred the Wharfedale sound.

I found Klipsch to have a 'livelier' sound vs the smoother Wharfedales.

At your budget, also don't discount purchasing from one of the classified sections. New offers every day, with the below still available...

Wharfedale Reva 1 - $550 in Sydney (Street price ~$1100)

B&W DM601 S3 - $400

I also picked up some mint condition Dynaudio Emit M10's for $500 from the Classifieds (current street price ~$900) and they still make me smile every time I use them - plenty of great deals if you keep a look out for them, but you've got to be ready to purchase as the best deals might only last an hour or two.

On 06/12/2019 at 10:28 PM, hbaruas said:

My main question actually is : Considering the RB61 ii is around 8-10 years old design/ tech will it still be considered good today for around $500? Should I buy it ?

Yep, that's not a lot of years in speaker terms! The Klipsch's have some great reviews online so I think you can purchase them with confidence around the $500 mark :)

Happy hunting!

can of worms.. each speaker brand has their likes and dislikes.

klipsch are a bit in your face and that is great for movies imo. i dont listen to music so others can direct you. for bookshelf speakers i wouldnt bother buying new unless a run out price, 2nd hand you will get more for your money. also in a pick up situation you get to test them out in a "home" situation, not some retail set up that may or may not replicate your home.

Thanks for the response @nedrum and sharing the link to the items in Classified section.

I have joined this forum recently, and have been monitoring the Classified Section closely.

Hoping to get a nice deal soon !

22 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

can of worms.. each speaker brand has their likes and dislikes.

klipsch are a bit in your face and that is great for movies imo. i dont listen to music so others can direct you. for bookshelf speakers i wouldnt bother buying new unless a run out price, 2nd hand you will get more for your money. also in a pick up situation you get to test them out in a "home" situation, not some retail set up that may or may not replicate your home.

Thanks  @hopefullguyfor sharing the general characteristics of Klipsch .. great for movies! (not so much for music.. hmmm !!)

I am sure this feedback is for Klipsch's under consideration within my budget (and not top of the line ones ! Just making sure Klipsch fans are not hurt)

Thanks for letting me know.

I am a bit confused and overwhelmed from what all I have been reading in the forums.

Would a combination of Kef q100 and Dali sensor 5 sound ok with Yamaha avr685 or above ?

No center/ subwoofer for now.

Hi folks, I thought id just ad to the discussion. side note, I have the pair of DM601 S3 for sale. 

15 hours ago, hbaruas said:

Would a combination of Kef q100 and Dali sensor 5 sound ok with Yamaha avr685 or above

Short answer, yes, it will sound great. 

Long answer...

Yes it will sound great.

The thing is, everyone's rooms and ears are different. Over time everyone develops their own ear, and preferences.

Online reviews will only get you so far, and to be frank, that is enough to get your foot in the door with great gear.

I started of my HiFi journey only about 18 months ago, and over that time my ear has significantly developed and i have found my taste, what i like in a stereo and what i dislike. I find it very interesting reading forum posts where people say so and so etc, and i completely disagree, or agree.  I read a post recently and the guy basically said, "Everyone believes he or she has the golden set of ears" , yet we all have different opinions on audio,  think about that...

My personal recommendation would be to start wheeling a dealing used gear, when you see something with great reviews come up for a good price, buy it, compare it to what you have, if you like it, keep it and vice versa.  The thing i absolutely love about used gear, is that you will very rarely loose money [if you buy good stuff for the right price, that isnt too new]. by doing this you will very quickly build up an incredible system that you love.

I personally have not heard any Klipsch speakers, so i cant comment in that department. But i know that B&W speakers get talked about because they are apparently really bright, I haven't found this to be the case at all, and i love a warm sound. So what i am saying is, don't take what people say online as scripture. 

Infact, to my ears, the B&W DM601S3 are a warm side of neutral tone, but others disagree, whatever....  What i have found with all speakers though, is they all require great, matched amplification to sound there best... just trial and error.

The only thing i will actually recommend is, if you are going to run floor standers(actually any speaker for that matter), get a great amp with plenty of power and a big power supply. I have a mate who has a pair of el cheapo  $60 floorstanders he found on gumtree, got them home, hooked them up to a crappy under powered amp, and surprise surprise, it sounded awful, like horrific un-listenable. then i found a wicked deal on a 15year old marantz SR8500 and told him to buy it straight away. now that setup is incredible for the amount of money he paid for it. 

that is my 2 cents, 

cheers

Edited by YaBoiiGarfield

Thanks for your valuable input.

I understand what you are saying and it makes perfect sense.

I hope my search ends soon. 🙂