Sign in to follow this  
ST3V3Z

Problem with LUXMAN L-309V Intergrated Amp

Trying to fix the issue with this Luxman amp.

Takes a while to get out of protection on start-up. When outputting more than about 1W, speaker makes popping sound, if left playing, makes one really loud pop and turns itself back to protection mode.

I took it open and got some pictures.

Seems like the amp had been repaired before. One of the amp board looks like it's been blown up before.

the main power transistors looks different on the power amps, is that a concern?  The 2SA679 is swapped for 2SB655A and 2SC1079 is swapped to 2SD675A.

Any ideas what would be causing the issue?

Any help is appreciated.

IMG_20191206_115442.jpg

IMG_20191201_171254.jpg

IMG_20191201_165437.jpg

IMG_20191206_115449.jpg

IMG_20191201_165423.jpg

IMG_20191201_165430.jpg

If the L-309V has pre-out/main in RCA's then remove the joining links and plug your source/phone/pod... at minimum volume into the main-in RCA's, slowly increase volume, listen and check for pops which would indicate a power amp problem. No pops suggest a preamp. If pops are on both channels then likely to be a power supply issue. Suggest get a can of freeze spray and give each transistor (in the suspected area pre/power/psu) a 1-2second spray, wait 15-30 seconds for the transistor to recover before moving onto the next one, note any effect on the pops...

Keep in mind that the freeze spray "shuts down" that and any downstream transistors, so best to work from drivers then back for power amp issue.

Thanks for the tips.

I bypassed the preamp, buzz and pop is still present in the left channel. The amp still shuts itself back to protection at relatively low volumn. going to get the freeze spray and try it.

What exactly am I looking for when shutting down transistors?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Classifieds Statistics

Currently Active Ads

Total Sales (Since 2018)

Total Sales Value (Last 14 Days)

Total Ads Value (Since March 2020)
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Tax
      Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Sydney State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT, cash on pickup Reason for selling: Downsizing as I have 3 systems Further information: FS a very nice vintage Luxman integrated amplifier with built in phono. Two phono inputs and 3 Aux inputs. Please look at photos. One knob missing a piece. Can connect upto 4 speakers. Can also be used as  preamplifier. Also listed in the classifieds on SNA is a matching Luxman Tuner T-300V and PD370 turntable. Other equipment in the photos are for illustration purposes only and are not part of the asking price for the Luxman integrated amplifier. Happy to discuss a combined price for the Integrated, TT snd Tuner if a buyer is interested in putting together a matching vintage system.

Can deliver within 50kms of Sydney CBD. 

Can also be used as a Headphone amplifier as this is built in. 

Photos:

• By Tax
      Item Condition: Good Shipping Options: Pickup available but audition is not available.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Sydney State: New South Wales Payment Method: EFT, Cash on pick up Reason for selling: Downsizing as I have 3 systems SOLD on FB pending payment.
      -------------------------------------------
      Further information: Lovely Luxman Tuner T-300V

This is part of a vintage system that I am downsizing as I have 3 systems. I also have the matching Luxman PD370 turntable (also listed for sale on SNA) and Luxman 507X integrated amplifier so someone can put together a nice vintage system. Please note that other equipment depicted in the photos are for illustration purposes only and are not part of the sale price of the Luxman Tuner. Happy to negotiate a bundle price for all Luxman components if there is interest to buy the TT, Tuner and Integrated in one lot.

Photos:

• By Doomguy
      I'm having an issue with an electrical buzzing noise coming out of the tweeters of my active monitors, I'm trying to determine the cause so I can fix it (ideally without having to resort to ground loop isolators). 

On Monday I received a new JDS Labs Element II DAC/amp unit to replace my dying Audio GD NFB 15.32. The Element is USB only, where-as I was using an optical cable with the Audio GD. Upon changing over to the Element, I noticed a 'dirty' buzzing sound coming from the tweeters (JBL 305P MkIIs) that was not there before. This buzzing is totally independent of the volume pot on the Element or volume in Windows. It ceases when I switch to headphone output on the Element or when I turn my computer off. 

Additionally, this buzzing behaviour is not present when I plug the Element II into other devices. I've tested it with two laptops (a dell and a macbook air) as well as my android phone. 

The noise seems to correlate with system load (it becomes considerably more pronounced when running a game, sounding sort of like coil whine) but also changes in pitch when I move the mouse and takes on an even buzzier sound when I use the scroll-wheel.

I'm not electrically knowledgeable, so please enlighten me if I'm totally mislead on this, but if this buzzing was a regular good old fashioned ground loop issue, wouldn't it still occur even if I had the element plugged into a different source? FWIW; everything in my system is plugged into the one power-board, which is plugged into the wall via an extension cable. 

I can only conclude, with my layman lack of knowledge and the process of elimination I've done so far, that it's an issue with my computer since it's fine with the laptops and phone. When I think about what could be wrong with my PC to cause this issue, my mind immediately goes to my power supply, which has made a buzzing noise when running since the day I bought it last year. Does it make any sense that a bad power supply might cause something like this? If it does, I'm strongly considering buying a new different PSU and cross my fingers that it fixes it. It's not too risky as I would return my current one anyway (I've just been too lazy to do so and it hasn't appeared to have caused or been related to any real issue until this).

Sorry for the wall of text, would appreciate any insight or thoughts on this!

tl;dr - Active speakers buzzing since getting JDS Element II. Buzzing seems to be correlated with PSU buzzing. Speakers do not buzz with other computers used as source. 
    • By mugwampjism
      Item: Luxman L-80 or L80 V, or any other similar pre-Alpine Luxman amp
      Price Range: $1000
      Item Condition: New or Used
      Extra Info: I am looking to provide a loving stable new home for a vintage integrated amplifier.

Please don't forget to report your post as FOUND when possible. (You can now delete this text).
    • By Igotmearecord
      Item Condition: 8/10 Shipping Options: Pickup available and you can audition.,Shipping is available at agreed cost. Suburb or Town: Tura Beach State: New South Wales Payment Method: PayPal friends, EFT, Cash on Pickup Reason for selling: Downsizing and rationalising Further information:
      Classic hybrid MOSFET/valve amp from the early '90s. I have thoroughly checked it and run it having pulled it out from storage. All inputs work and all switches and knobs operate and are quiet. And it sounds wonderful ( tested on a pair of JBL L60T).
      It comes with the instruction book (a little dog-eared) and original packaging (7/10 it has been doing it's job keeping the amp safe in transit and storage and shows some wear and tear).
      The amp has a couple of cosmetic defects as shown in the photos - scratches on the top right side of the  front panel, other minor blemishes, and a small chip out of the plastic shroud around a  red speaker terminal. Hence I give it a 8/10 rating.

Power output: 105 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)
      Frequency response: 20Hz to 20kHz
      Total harmonic distortion: 0.008%
      Input sensitivity: 0.15mV (MC), 2mV (MM), 150mV (line)
      Signal to noise ratio: 70dB (MC), 90dB (MM), 110dB (line)

I am happy to ship with a little extra packaging. Seems to be about 80 within mainland Australia with insurance via Aussie Post. Happy to work with a nominated freight company as long as you pay.

Photos: