Sign in to follow this  
Batty

Show us the gear you are not using.

On 07/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, t_mike said:

Do people here realise that hoarding is a mental health issue?

only if it causes you distress

not hoarding is unhealthy if you like to do it  :)

i am not dragging them out, but there's an fm tuner (JVC T-K100 with analogue dial), a yamaha kx-380 cassette deck a sony XE300 cd player, any number of high end sound cards an a clutch of op amps to roll in them, and a pair of epicure model 10 speakers

On 07/12/2019 at 7:32 AM, t_mike said:

Do people here realise that hoarding is a mental health issue?

There's a fine line between hoarding and collecting :)

2 minutes ago, Darryl said:

There's a fine line between hoarding and collecting :)

in most cases it's a line of stuff others may consider worthy of council pick up

The fine line (or is that blurry line) between hoarding and collecting can, depending on which side of the fence you are on ( or sitting on) be seen in different ways. 

A bit like audio. I have only been into it for 6 or 7 years but the one thing I have learned is everyone hears and see`s things differently.   

It`s all fun though.

Tony

Gear I don't Use
Consonance cyber 800 mono blocks
Consonance passive attenuator Ref 1.3
Aikido Pre-amp
Osborn epitome bass unit
Yamaha CX-1

Gear I'm using daily
Consonance R2.2 CDP
Osborn epitome speakers
Amp I've just finished refurb, eg, Yamaha CA-2010, CA-1000,
Pioneer SA-8500II,,,

Gear I'd like to use more often
Yamaha CX-1000 Pre
Electrocompaniet 1a Pre

Gear to upgrade/Repair
HK Citation 19
Yamaha M-70/C-70
Phase Linear 400 (White Oak upgrade)

Gear I'm not using, with accompanying tale of woe.

Audia Flight Three CD player - bought virtually new a few weeks ago. Still wrapped, still in packing box. Used maybe for a couple of hours. And with a year's warranty.

In March this year, my Audia Flight One started skipping tracks - diagnosis was a faulty laser. I decided to replace the entire mechanism. Having checked out various repairers, I left it at Adept (Adelaide). Five months later, after considerable difficulties trying to source a new replacement part, I was told that the mechanism had been discontinued and there were only 'leftovers' available which were very hard to find. There was a distinct possibility that one might not be available at all, leaving me with an $8k dodo. 

I started thinking about an alternative, just in case my worst fears were realised. I had been watching the AF Three on ebay, and after being told by Adept there was no immediate replacement part available, I pulled the trigger and bought the AF Three on the basis that I was familiar with their house sound.

Eight days later Adept rang and were very pleased to advise that the replacement laser mechanism had arrived a few days earlier, had been fitted and had tested perfectly. 

Anyone need a world class CD player currently sitting in storage?

pardon my iggerance, but given it's alldown to 1's & 0's , what is the virtue of having a rotation mechanism and a dac in one single incredibly expensive device ?

like, i understand buying a good dac, but a usb stick is as good as the rest of it to convey 110001101001110000 etc

can somebody please explain what i'm missing here ?

Guest Muon N'

do you have the right thread @scruffy1 ?

Edited by Muon N'

it was the place to ask that question, and even your unedited response doesn't answer it really

it's a genuine curiosity, because ultimately the sound produced is down to the dac (and other circuitry) - the spinny bit is an historical artefact

On 14/12/2019 at 9:26 PM, scruffy1 said:

it was the place to ask that question, and even your unedited response doesn't answer it really

it's a genuine curiosity, because ultimately the sound produced is down to the dac (and other circuitry) - the spinny bit is an historical artefact

I believe that this link answers far more completely than I could manage. http://www.lampizator.eu/lampizator/TRANSPORT/CD_transport_DIY.html

Surely you must recognise that the stability of the "spinny bit" as well as the timing of the delivery of the data would have an effect on the CD output, and the significance of any noise in the signal, and that it will vary with device and electrical stability.

Maybe just make a phone call to Joe Rasmussen (in Sydney  02-96074650 & 0412-203382) and have him explain. You can alternatively read his website (http://www.customanalogue.com/index.html) to glean your required level of data. Why not phone him and cut out a lot of unnecessary reading.

crossed wires here i think

my sources are already ripped, so barring the errors in initial transcoding (which has algorithms to "fix" by redundant readings), the spinny bit is now a hard disk, or even less mobile, an ssd

so again, what is the benefit of a cd over reportedly error free rip of a source cd ?  because i don't see (or hear) there is a benefit other than what geeks would declare "e-peen"

Further to my last:

Sonique 4.5 SE

Sonique SoniqBoom

VAF SW19 (not sure how I forgot these given their size).

Guest Muon N'

Clean up in isle 2

Edited by Muon N'

Guest Muon N'

Need a new mop......

Edited by Muon N'
waste of time.

The only stuff I have but don't use is basically my first decent sound system from the 70's, which at the moment is in storage.

Luxman L3 intergrated amp:

http://www.audioscope.net/images/Luxman%20L-3%20copy.jpg

Luxman K5 Cassette Deck:

https://www.hilberink.nl/luxman/k5/k5a.jpg

Rotel RP2300 Turntable:

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/232988150081_/ROTEL-RP-2300-Classic-Audiophile-Vinyl-Turntable-very-rare.jpg

Yamaha T760 Tuner:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/udYAAOSwubJd6-MB/s-l640.jpg

Interdyn P32 speakers:

https://classic-hifi.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/1320545813631.jpg

Yes, all bought at Encel's (except the tuner). One day it may all be resurrected (except for the TT.....it's beyond dead).

i had the luxman L2 as my first amp

now i'm all nostalgic

A Luxman L3 was my second amp. It certainly got around while it was in my system; Perth, Port Hedland, Dampier, Perth (again) and finally Derby, from where it was traded in on a Luxman L-430.

i remember auditioning it after the salesman suggested a pioneer sa series (like most of my school mates owned) was not as the best choice at that price point

he was absolutely right

Interesting  thread. 

This one is surplus to my needs Denon DP-59L turntable

20190131_210605.thumb.jpg.70e10971e34286936e311c3832690c18.jpg