New Turntable

Hi guys, rediscovering vinyl has been around 12 months now and I'm thinking its time to upgrade my turntable. Currently have a Pro-Ject Essential III Digital. Mainly listen to Classic Rock and Blues, have up to $3000.00 to spend. So many choices and so many reviews. Any advice appreciated.

Edited by Leeming42
Re word

3 hours ago, Leeming42 said:

Hi guys, rediscovering vinyl has been around 12 months now and I'm thinking its time to upgrade my turntable. Currently have a Pro-Ject Essential III Digital. Mainly listen to Classic Rock and Blues, have up to $3000.00 to spend. So many choices and so many reviews. Any advice appreciated.

I agree.  Among my turntables is a Project Essential II.  Not bad, and quite capable, but yes, I see why you now want to step up.  The good thing is that, having a turntable already, you can take your time.  Keep watching the secondhand market for a bargain would be my advice.

Do you want a modern design, maybe a new Technics direct drive, or higher-end belt drive, or a classic, such as an big idler drive like a Garrard 301, or 401? 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

Do you want a modern design, maybe a new Technics direct drive, or higher-end belt drive, or a classic, such as an big idler drive like a Garrard 301, or 401? 

I would agree with the above - home into a niche you'd most like to explore (will most likely suit your needs/preferences).

Vintage: Denon DP's, Linn, Thorens, Garrard, Rega, Luxman, Technics....

New: VPI, Rega, Technics,...

• Like 1

I just purchased a Rega Planar 6 with the Ania MC cart. With the black friday 20% discount it came to $2300. I auditioned it against a Planar 8 and liked the sounds more, the fact it was cheaper was a bonus.  After searching for a decent SL-1200 for a while, I am happy I bought new. It's an amazing product, especially at the price. I'm pairing it up with a Chord Huei that I picked up this week but not had a chance to listen to it on my own system so can't comment on that yet.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!

Thanks for the feedback guys, I notice a couple of you are recommending direct drive turntables. I have always been under the impression, rightly or wrongly that a belt drive is the way to go?

Edited by Leeming42
Spelling mistake

6 minutes ago, Leeming42 said:

I notice a couple of you are recommending direct drive turntables.  I have always been under the impression, rightly or wrongly that a belt drive is the way to go?

Belt vs. DD is a religious argument!  :lol:

(Me, I follow the belt drive sect.)

Andy

11 minutes ago, Leeming42 said:

Thanks for the feedback guys, I notice a couple of you are recommending direct drive turntables. I have always been under the impression, rightly or wrongly that a belt drive is the way to go?

I think the history goes like this. Very early gramophone motors were direct drive via gears.  Then came idler drives, which also helped speed changes and isolated some of the motor vibrations.  However cheap idler drives produced so much rumble, hifi turntables were marketed with the next big solution - belt drive, and it was so much better. 

At that time, electronic direct drive was very difficult. Try designing motor controllers with valves.  But, then came modern electronics and decent direct drive - even excellent direct drive appeared.  Hifi moved over to DD - no more belts to replace.  However, some DD tables were not as good as they should have been.  Cogging was a perceived problem, along with stable speed control.

Some took a step back as it was realised that most top quality tables, of any type, did a very good job - DD, belt, or even big old idler drives.  So then the playing field was wide open and the audiophile arguments idler-vs-belt-vs-DD started :)

I believe all genres have excellent examples that I could be very happy to live with.  I have examples of all 3 that I use periodically.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, DubbyMcDubs said:

I just purchased a Rega Planar 6 with the Ania MC cart. With the black friday 20% discount it came to $2300. I auditioned it against a Planar 8 and liked the sounds more, the fact it was cheaper was a bonus.  After searching for a decent SL-1200 for a while, I am happy I bought new. It's an amazing product, especially at the price. I'm pairing it up with a Chord Huei that I picked up this week but not had a chance to listen to it on my own system so can't comment on that yet.

Good luck and enjoy your new toy!

Let us know what you think of the Huei, an interesting looking device. Chord makes nice gear. 

On topic, it looks like we're already getting into it but the generalisation I (think) I've heard is belt drive would suit the 'punchy/bold' sound suited to Rock.

Edited by crtexcnndrm99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Leeming42 said:

Prior to the Technics the only previous direct drive ive owned was a Luxman PD264 in the late 70's.

Ive had 3 belt drive turntables since - Rega Planar 3, Sota Saphire, VPI TNT (all the original models starting from around 1980 with the Rega).

Believe me the Technics 1200/1210GR is no slouch. 

• Like 1

All high-end turntables can sound incredible with the right plinth, arm and cart.

It doesn't matter if it's DD, belt or idler drive, it's the quality that matters.  Some good models/manufactures have been mentioned above. 

My advice is not to rush in.  Do your research over time, listen to different turntables if you have the chance.  Lots of vintage turntables have a lifetime's use left in them.  If you get something at the top end of the market, with will be an investment for life. 

2 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

I've heard is belt drive would suit the 'punchy/bold' sound suited to Rock.

An idler drive, even more so.     

Comparing a belt to a DD, I would say it depends on the size of the motor, belt thickness/strength, and platter mass.    I don't think something driven by one of those little thin hat elastic bands would sound so punchy. 

Hi All,

Just looking at other things on the WWW and came across a very good TT from one of the sponsors @Krispy Audio on their website. A VPI at half price, worth a look.

https://krispyaudio.com.au/products/vpi-player-turntable-open-box.html

JJ

Edited by Janjuc
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, crtexcnndrm99 said:

Let us know what you think of the Huei, an interesting looking device. Chord makes nice gear. 

On topic, it looks like we're already getting into it but the generalisation I (think) I've heard is belt drive would suit the 'punchy/bold' sound suited to Rock.

I will do a proper write up in a new thread once I have more time with it, but first impressions:

Pros

• Transparent and detailed sound
  • Configuration options.
  • Gain settings allow you to match it with your amp. Particularly useful with MC to optimize the noise
  • Balanced output

Cons

• Power switch is way too small and located close to the DC jack that makes it hard to switch the the off position
  • Power switch makes a loud cracking noise through outputs when turned off
  • Changing settings causes loud distorted sounds through the speakers 
  • Like 1