Sign in to follow this  
Bluenote122

Zyx Compliance

ZYX Cartridges

ZYX Cartridges: I was wondering if anybody could tell me if the stated compliance on the spec sheet is measured @10hz or 100hz? 
I have read that the compliance on the spec sheet is for static compliance not dynamic. 
What I would like to know is the dynamic compliance @10hz so I can determine resonance frequency. 
If nobody knows would it be possible for a Zyx owner to measure their own cartridge? 
Any help is appreciated. 

56 minutes ago, Bluenote122 said:

ZYX Cartridges

ZYX Cartridges: I was wondering if anybody could tell me if the stated compliance on the spec sheet is measured @10hz or 100hz? 
I have read that the compliance on the spec sheet is for static compliance not dynamic. 
What I would like to know is the dynamic compliance @10hz so I can determine resonance frequency. 
If nobody knows would it be possible for a Zyx owner to measure their own cartridge? 
Any help is appreciated. 

Wondering how one measures cart compliance, at home?  :)

I have a ZYX Airy3 ... mounted in one of Duc's 12" Univector arms (ebony armwand).

The spec sheet says:

• horiz compliance - 15
  • vertic compliance - 12.

Looking at the cart-arm resonance calculator on Vinyl Engine, the LH scale is "Dynamic Compliance".  The fact that my Airy3 (only 5gms weight!) cart sounds so good in this very heavy arm (23gm) suggests to me that:

1. the ZYX spec sheet must actually list the Dynamic Compliance - since 12-15 compliance for a 5gm weight is in the "Green" zone.
  2. also, these numbers must be for @ 10Hz ... since that's what the VE calculator uses.

Hope this helps.  :)

Andy

Thanks Andy

To measure street home you need a test record like this

https://recordclean.com.au/4/20840/20923.html

Found this on Vinyl Engine

Zyx is a Japanese maker and Japanese makers usually specifies their compliance at 100 Hz, so if we say a static compliance of 15 @ 100 Hz, this means a dynamic compliance of roughly 7.5 @ 100 Hz. Now, to convert to 10 Hz we use 7.5 x 2 or x2.2 and get 15 or 15.4. So a static compliance of 15 @ 100 Hz is roughly a dynamic compliance of 15 @ 10 Hz.

Then on the contrary on Audiogon

ZYX dynamic compliance is 15cu (horizontal) and 12cu (vertical), both measured at 100Hz. 

To convert it to 10Hz we have to multiply on 1.7 (not on 2.2). 
I have original manual on hands from my ex ZYX Premium 4D SB. Static compliance does not even mentioned in the original printed manual for ZYX (because nobody need it). 

at 10Hz ZYX compliance is about: 
25.5 cu (lateral)
20.4 cu (vertical) 

And Pinkfish

EQ Compliance horizontal - 15×10-6cm/dyne
EQ Compliance vertical - 12×10-6cm/dyne

Recommended tonearm effective mass 12grams minimum/20grams maximum

With the TB or SB headshell added it will be:

+TB - recommended tonearm effective mass 9.5grams minimum/17.5grams maximum
+SB - recommended tonearm effective mass 7grams minimum/16.5grams maximum.

Therefore a tonearm with a medium effective mass is recommended for all of the above.

Hence my confusion.

If the information in Audiogon is correct they would require a very low mass arm not medium as suggested by the Pinkfish quote which was posted by GT Audio the UK distributor.

4 hours ago, Bluenote122 said:

Thanks Andy

To measure street home you need a test record like this

https://recordclean.com.au/4/20840/20923.html

Found this on Vinyl Engine

Zyx is a Japanese maker and Japanese makers usually specifies their compliance at 100 Hz, so if we say a static compliance of 15 @ 100 Hz, this means a dynamic compliance of roughly 7.5 @ 100 Hz. Now, to convert to 10 Hz we use 7.5 x 2 or x2.2 and get 15 or 15.4. So a static compliance of 15 @ 100 Hz is roughly a dynamic compliance of 15 @ 10 Hz.

Then on the contrary on Audiogon

ZYX dynamic compliance is 15cu (horizontal) and 12cu (vertical), both measured at 100Hz. 

To convert it to 10Hz we have to multiply on 1.7 (not on 2.2). 
I have original manual on hands from my ex ZYX Premium 4D SB. Static compliance does not even mentioned in the original printed manual for ZYX (because nobody need it). 

at 10Hz ZYX compliance is about: 
25.5 cu (lateral)
20.4 cu (vertical) 

And Pinkfish

EQ Compliance horizontal - 15×10-6cm/dyne
EQ Compliance vertical - 12×10-6cm/dyne

Recommended tonearm effective mass 12grams minimum/20grams maximum

With the TB or SB headshell added it will be:

+TB - recommended tonearm effective mass 9.5grams minimum/17.5grams maximum
+SB - recommended tonearm effective mass 7grams minimum/16.5grams maximum.

Therefore a tonearm with a medium effective mass is recommended for all of the above.

Hence my confusion.

If the information in Audiogon is correct they would require a very low mass arm not medium as suggested by the Pinkfish quote which was posted by GT Audio the UK distributor.

Haha - confooosing, indeed!  :(

All I can say is ... my experience is that a ZYX Airy3 works brilliantly in a 'high mass' arm (eff. weight 23).  If this is so then, as I laid out the logic in my previous post, what the ZYX spec sheet says seems to tie up with what the VE resonance calculator uses.

Andy

Andy

I think your right if the compliance was 25 it would be a terrible match with high mass arms. If you calculate your combo with a 25 compliance it gives an RF of 6. 
Thanks again for your help.

59 minutes ago, andyr said:

Haha - confooosing, indeed!  :(

All I can say is ... my experience is that a ZYX Airy3 works brilliantly in a 'high mass' arm (eff. weight 23).  If this is so then, as I laid out the logic in my previous post, what the ZYX spec sheet says seems to tie up with what the VE resonance calculator uses.

Andy

So, what arm do you use your Stanton in?

Have an Ittok 11.5g the Zyx SB is 8g if the compliance is 15 we get RF 9.1  right in the magic 9-11 zone.

2 hours ago, Wimbo said:

So, what arm do you use your Stanton in?

A classic - Magnepan 'Unitrac', W!  :thumb:

7gm eff. weight - ideal for the Stanton.  :)

Andy

10 hours ago, andyr said:

A classic - Magnepan 'Unitrac', W!  :thumb:

7gm eff. weight - ideal for the Stanton.  :)

Andy

Yes, perfect. My SME is a touch heavy but 99% of the time, works well.