B&W 683 floor standers

Budget wise $700-900

Thoughts

Thanks

Edited by Sean Perth

Power - fuse, conditioning, linear power, etc

speaker and equipment isolation

Room treatment

I’d focus on those if not done to Good level yet. They will bottleneck everything else.

If the Cyrus isn't using a PSX-r, that addition alone will make a good difference. Next for me would be power amp, speakers, room treatment in that order.

There are indeed any number of options when it comes to upgrades, though if limited to the 2 options I would keep the Cyrus as your pre and go for a power amp. While not having heard the Cyrus myself can only go by reviews which are pretty ordinary, I suspect as you only list a TT as source and considering a phono pre also that you're not getting the analogue "vinyl" sound you're after? Moving away from Class D amplification may be the way to go.

On 04/12/2019 at 8:24 AM, t_mike said:

If the Cyrus isn't using a PSX-r, that addition alone will make a good difference. Next for me would be power amp, speakers, room treatment in that order.

The Cyrus one can't use the off board PSX-R as it has no input for it.

4 minutes ago, Elnicko said:

There are indeed any number of options when it comes to upgrades, though if limited to the 2 options I would keep the Cyrus as your pre and go for a power amp. While not having heard the Cyrus myself can only go by reviews which are pretty ordinary, I suspect as you only list a TT as source and considering a phono pre also that you're not getting the analogue "vinyl" sound you're after? Moving away from Class D amplification may be the way to go.

If the Cyrus one is driving the speakers well enough for Sean's taste then I would get a better phono stage and a better line stage to plug into the Cyrus ones ht bypass or Av input. The Cyrus then becomes just a power amp and from my experience this will give more of an improvement than upgrading the power amp. Down the line picking up a decent bargain power amp will complete what should be a large upgrade in sound quality.

We need to know more about what you are not happy with the sound:

what do you listen to mostly music or HT, where is most of the music from TT, streaming etc?

what are you wanting to improve, is it bass, clarity, loudness etc?

are you listening in a proper stereo equilateral triangle (google if not known) to appreciate improvements in sound quality?

is the room acoustics bothering you, if not then may be no need to spend on treatment? Describe the room and what’s in it 

Edited by Al.M