Sign in to follow this  
Braddles 63

Back in the HT scene

Last time a bought into  the HT world it was a  brand new  Cambridge Audio 640R which at the time had a good reputation for its 2 channel exploits.

10 odd years later I'm venturing out again mainly due to the family being at the right age and stage to get some use for it. Being a 2 channel man I've been quite happy using my main system for movies. But with my boys in their teens needing some space we enclosed the Garage which has opened the way for a nice HT room

Not wanting to spend a fortune on it I've been lurking around for a good used receiver but couldn't land one. So in the end after much umming  and arring   I took advantage of the Black Friday sales and picked up a Marantz SR6014. Got it home yesterday and so far I'm pretty impressed with the SQ. Not fully set up the surrounds yet so mainly judging on L/R & C performance and 2 channel output. Will report more as it evolves but for now it's nice to be back amongst the HT crowd.

Cheers 

20191203_071949.jpg

20191203_072055.jpg

Edited by Braddles 63

Suggest you run through the Audyssey calibration to get the LCR, surrounds and sub (if you have one) really singing.

Yes will do once i have the surrounds setup. Not going with a sub at this stage.

Go the sub, if not, it's like a Stereo system without the L channel

@Braddles 63 just stumbled across your post, nice set up by the way, reminds me a bit of the way mine turned out, different kit of course. Would definitely recommend a sub for HT duties  as well...

DSCN0501.thumb.JPG.1c792d6ae223cf5bf1317ad4f66742ac.JPG

I hear you guys about the sub.

The main reason I'm reluctant is the garage is right on the boundary and my neighbors master bedroom is just on the other side of the fence. And i like my neighbors. 😁

Also my Vintage Polk SDA2B's are exactly bass shy. We will see how we go.

Put some surrounds in place and ran the Audyssey calibration. Only watching through Foxtel IQ4 box but still sounded much improved.

Edited by Braddles 63

Tried a Blue ray disc of Jurassic World last night.

The Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization worked well. In combo with my SDA fronts it filled the room with effects coming from everywhere but in an organised and clear manner.

Even my wife made comments to how good it was. So it must have been....

Im going to add my Parasound New Classic 2250 to the main L&R pre outs to give the SDA's some more juice.

For HT, the sub is probably the most important item outside of the centre channel. You miss so much without one.