Do you catalogue your collections

I was just wondering how everybody keeps track of their music movie etc collections. Once you accumulate a few hundred or thousand titles it’s hard to remember what you have especially if you’re picking up items for loose change in the secondhand stores. I have started using a collection app which allows you to scan the barcode to add your items it also has a wish list for those items you are yet to find.  This is the app that I have started  using  I am in no way affiliated with this app  I was just wondering what everybody else was doing or if they have a better option. I find this one great because I can use it on my Ipad and phone so I  Always have my catalogue list on me for when you find the diamond you’re been looking for.

I just have a boring spreadsheet with tabs for music, movies, household assets (for insurance purposes).  The music & movies could all be on one sheet by just adding 'movie' or 'dvd' or 'bluray' as a type. I just types of LP/CD/Digital/DVD-Audio from memory.  I have various columns for artist, title, label, country etc.  One day, when I retire, I might start loading grading of my LPs (vinyl & cover) but not sure I can be bothered.

I actually have this printed out in case anyone comes around and they ask if I can play something.  I let them have a scan!

I have a separate sheet for albums I'd like to get and I use this when I go shopping (I have the Excel workbook sync'ed to iTunes so I have it on the phone).

Old-fashioned but it works ok!

Glenn

• Haha 1

About 30 years ago I set myself the task of creating a listing of all of my LPs. I did manage to get it all entered and, after that, I kept it up to date for as long as I was working someplace that had a computer. This was in the days when most homes didn't. When I changed careers and lost access to a PC the whole thing stalled and never was resurrected.

I could do it all over again one day, I suppose.......

• Haha 1

Not being an I-anything user, I use MediaMonkey to look after all my media (mainly music). I just set up collections for "My Rips" and "Other music". You can generate a HTML for different collections, but no wish list.

I use an Excel spreadsheet covering details of the items, including what I paid and a cleaned date.  I just keep screenshots on my phone that I take every now and then for when I'm out and about.  I don't have any need for anything more than this.

Edited by Kaynin

Guest Muon N'

I have a modest collection of CD's, and just save the cover art off the net for posting in the currently spinning thread. It also gives me a reference to what I have.

No movies.

Vinyl records, I did the same when I had them.

Just now, Muon N' said:

I have a modest collection of CD's, and just save the cover art off the net for posting in the currently spinning thread. It also gives me a reference to what I have.

No movies.

Vinyl records, I did the same when I had them.

Want to add to your collection, I have about 800 plus CDs that i need to get rid of. I just don't know how to sell them on here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Guest Muon N'
13 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Want to add to your collection, I have about 800 plus CDs that i need to get rid of. I just don't know how to sell them on here.

Easy, just list them with prices, then post out :thumb:

and enters the geek...

Part of my work includes developing databases in FileMakerPro.  All my CDs are catalogued in a FMP database.

It has separate sections for albums, compositions, tracks, composers and performers (similar to Roon but pre-dating Roon by many years).  Ie. I only need to correct the name of a composer once and it's corrected across all compositions. 

It imports from iTunes and Roon ( which gives me original track information) and once corrected and cleaned, I export back to iTunes which then corrects the metadata on my NAS Drive. 57k+ tracks are easily handled 

It has proved it's worth when my iTunes library gets corrupted.

Playback is via Roon, but the metadata is controlled via iTunes.

Edited by Ralph
  • Like 1

I just remember what I have, but I also remember automotive part numbers from 40 years ago when I was in that industry.

I don't like over complicating stuff.

If I see a peg board with the outline of tools, it freaks me out.

The thought of cataloguing my collection (100s of LPs) sends a shiver through me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've tested this one out.

WWW.GSOFT4U.COM

music collection is a free music album management software

It can send the entire album or individual tracks straight to a foobar playlist.  With a black background it looks quite nice.  Works well too.  I tested a version prior to this and have been waiting to get it going once i get my music server setup.

I have been in correspondence with the developer for some added functionality that i required (sending an entire album to a foobar playlist) and he has been very helpful.

This way i dont have to mess around too much with foobar and i get a nice cover art interface which can be backed up.

1.png

Edited by keinesorge

46 minutes ago, wartman said:

I just remember what I have, but I also remember automotive part numbers from 40 years ago when I was in that industry.

I don't like over complicating stuff.

If I see a peg board with the outline of tools, it freaks me out.

The thought of cataloguing my collection (100s of LPs) sends a shiver through me.

Could I please get a Z9 oil filter for my ?

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 03/12/2019 at 7:29 PM, keinesorge said:

I've tested this one out.

6554b6be8c0d829a8bf63ae0c82cf121_link.pn GSoft4U Music Collection

WWW.GSOFT4U.COM

music collection is a free music album management software

It can send the entire album or individual tracks straight to a foobar playlist.  With a black background it looks quite nice.  Works well too.  I tested a version prior to this and have been waiting to get it going once i get my music server setup.

I have been in correspondence with the developer for some added functionality that i required (sending an entire album to a foobar playlist) and he has been very helpful.

This way i dont have to mess around too much with foobar and i get a nice cover art interface which can be backed up.

1.png

Hi There,

Just reading through some back posts and saw this one. I started using Music Collection a couple of months ago and it is very simple to use for my expanding collection of CDs. Can recommend. Cheers 

• Like 2

On 03/12/2019 at 7:10 PM, Flayed said:

Discogs... amazing.

I have been going through all my CDs  and adding to Discogs over the last few weeks. Still going, and then I'll start the LPs.

Hopefully, it'll then allow me to alphabetise and add to the shelving I have, making the house look neater and confirming to all who visit how much of a music swot I have become.

• Like 2

I started a fairly simple excel spreadsheet when I had about 200 CDs. Over time I added DVDs and Blu-Rays, and I just keep adding to it with each new acquisition. It is now around 3700 titles.

I did the same thing for my vinyl discs in a different spreadsheet, but that has only around 185 titles. Consists mainly of the LPs and singles I bought back in the days before CDs, plus a few secondhand purchases and a number of discs I ended up with from friends who didn't want them.

On 27/03/2020 at 2:58 PM, Uncle Seth said:

I have been going through all my CDs  and adding to Discogs over the last few weeks. Still going, and then I'll start the LPs.

I’m a relatively recent convert to Discogs and have just over 1,400 items split almost evenly between CD and vinyl.  Benefits include:

1. Accessing when out shopping to help recall what you have so you don’t inadvertently buy multiple copies;

2. Identifying value

3. Tracing history and versions

4. Creating excel files which you can format and print out hard copies

5. Giving access to others to view your collection so they can help you find stuff or make buying for you easier

6. Multiple ways to view your collection 

7. Recording condition of your vinyl and looking out for better copies

8. They have a market place which I haven’t used, I prefer SNA.  

9. Details on those involved in the album. 

Les, I learnt from SNA you can use the camera of your phone to scan CDs and later vinyl pressing which makes entry very, very easy and quick. Early vinyl doesn’t have barcodes of course, so that’s slower. 

I have found Roon excellent to manage and play ripped CDs, downloads and streamed music.  

Edited by KRSDarwin
  • Like 2

Discogs is the answer. 

If we all upload some of our rare un-catalogued releases it gets better and bigger. 

Please if you use discogs and your copy in hand is not in the database take ten minutes to upload it for the rest of the world. 

If anyone needs help with uploading a submission pm me

36 minutes ago, The Blues said:

Discogs is the answer. 

If we all upload some of our rare un-catalogued releases it gets better and bigger. 

Please if you use discogs and your copy in hand is not in the database take ten minutes to upload it for the rest of the world. 

If anyone needs help with uploading a submission pm me

I've got at least 100 albums that aren't listed on discogs. They're in storage so I can't upload. I did have a look at the upload feature a while ago and was surprised at how onerous a task it is. So much info to type in. I'm thankful for the members who take the time to add to the list.