McDonalds vs Michelin star

So, my main ‘A’ system consists of an LP12 lingo 4, project tube box ds2 pre, bryston b100 amp & castle avon 5’s. I love the sound and 99% of the time it is perfect for my tastes. Occasionally i play my ‘C’ system in our library room which is a crappy old tape player, sansui 7500 amp, jbl sub and Kef c55 spks in the bookshelves almost facing eachother ( I know ) but in that booky carpeted room it sounds like honey sunset in brown 70’s shagpile carpet dripping warmth down the walls and its great.

1% of the time it’d be good to get a similar sound from system ‘A’. Is there anyway i can ‘saboutage ‘ the clarity of that system for the rare times i’d like to or am i asking to fix a tow bar to a porsche ?

You haven't really given us enough specific info to make more than very general suggestions of what you might do to your 'A' system, @hammer193:(

However, I would say:

1. bryston amps are not known for their 'warmness'.  :)
  2. what cart do you have on your LP12?

Andy

the Bryston is just what i want 99% of the time & the tube box takes away a bit of brightness. The cart is an Adikt.

I suppose the tube box pre is the most expendable as it is the cheapest component so are there any pre amps available where there is a simple switch to go from high res / accurate to low res / warmth/ muffled ?? I bought system ‘A’ after extensive auditioning so as i mentioned, 99% of the time it is just what i want, just wish there was someway to change it up in the rare instances i’d like it to sound differently.

8 minutes ago, hammer193 said:

the Bryston is just what i want 99% of the time & the tube box takes away a bit of brightness. The cart is an Adikt.

I see you're in Adelaide - see if you can persuade Ben ('Tait0') to bring his Muse phono stage over, so you can listen to it in your system with the Adikt MM.

8 minutes ago, hammer193 said:

I bought system ‘A’ after extensive auditioning so as i mentioned, 99% of the time it is just what i want, just wish there was someway to change it up in the rare instances i’d like it to sound differently.

If you want more bass in system 'A' (you said your 'C' system has a sub) ... then buy a sub.  Adding a sub - OME - will 'warm' up your bass and mid range ... as well as giving you the lower octave.

If you want more warmth - with the Bryston - then about the only thing you can do is change the phono stage.

Andy

• Like 1

Build a Nelson Pass H2 and put it in front of your amp. I introduces 2nd harmonics and gives a "tube" sound.

I have built one but have not tried it yes as my main amp has the 2nd harmonics already.

yes, system ‘C’ is tape only.

and yes I have run system ‘A’ with the Sansui and for that 1% of the time it would be great but not all the time.

The other issue with the Sansui it is only rated & 25 W which is not enough to power the speakers.

Guest Muon N'
9 minutes ago, rantan said:

Just like DBTs.

Whatever you do, don't look at your gear and don't trust what you hear:frantics:

Best time to don one :ph34r:

On 03/12/2019 at 11:06 AM, hammer193 said:

<snip>Is there anyway i can ‘saboutage ‘ the clarity of that system for the rare times i’d like to or am i asking to fix a tow bar to a porsche ?

Porsche tow bar--no problem.?

As for changing the 'A' system; why bother? Just change rooms.?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...