Sign in to follow this  
Hytram

Dirac: XMC-1 vs Nad T758 vs Nad C658 vs.......

6 hours ago, Hytram said:

to throw another one into the mix..
I only realised last night that I should have  40% discount card on Emotiva Processors on file with them from when I bought the UMC-1 off them years ago, they a looking into it

As vagabond says the XMC2 has some glitches ;ide wait for the next firmware upgrade to see how it goes[ like most things emo this may take awhile :)] . If they cant find your 40% off you are still good for the 25% off upgrade for life 

They also sell xlr>>rca cables for single ended power amps [that were supposed to be free per Dan 🙉 ]

Hi Tytram

I read your first post the other day and was interested you had ambience. I also have ambience (1600’s) but run through valve power amp. Agree in stereo no need for sub. Absolute great sounding speakers. Probably telling nothing, but make sure they have room to breath ie: distance from walls both side and rear due the ambience firing rearwards as well.

Edited by spewka

Hi

I have a t758 v3 for HT (c275BEE powering the fronts) and background music, and I have a c658 in my main listening room.

Dirac is a godsend for those of us afflicted with terrible rooms. Not perfect by any means, but truly remarkable.

In that you’re “not an audiophile”, the 758v3 may well do the job perfectly... it blows a mate’s mind bi-amping a set of Dali Opticon 8s as his mains after I helped him purchase one... he’s listening to far more music than he thought he would and it’s a bloody impressive sound, in a terrible room. Every non-audio person who’s listened to ours is blown out of the water, and the audio people are impressed with what it does for what it is at it’s price point. But...

The c658 smokes it for sound quality, (I used the 758 as a pre for a few days in the 2 channel system) but I feel would have come into its own with the MF (or similar) back and maybe a longer term future speaker upgrade.

I think the 758 v3 will do what your asking extremely well if you’re going to keep the HT side going. C658 if you move completely 2 channel and upgrade the rest to get its potential realised, and you’d be on another level totally, if you want to be.

...shame you’re not in Canberra.

Edited by furtherpale

On 07/12/2019 at 6:51 PM, spewka said:

Probably telling nothing, but make sure they have room to breath ie: distance from walls both side and rear due the ambience firing rearwards as well.

Yeah, had them about a metre from the back wall and reasonably wide apart, sound great a lower levels but pump up the volume a bit and the harshness comes on like the rest, but they needed less work to tone down, 

One set will have to go, will wait until I get them both through Dirac and make the decision then 

14 hours ago, furtherpale said:

The c658 smokes it for sound quality, (I used the 758 as a pre for a few days in the 2 channel system) but I feel would have come into its own with the MF (or similar) back and maybe a longer term future speaker upgrade.

I think the 758 v3 will do what your asking extremely well if you’re going to keep the HT side going. C658 if you move completely 2 channel and upgrade the rest to get its potential realised, and you’d be on another level totally, if you want to be.

...shame you’re not in Canberra.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear and the same time, exactly what I didn't want to hear.. 🙂

As good as the T758 is, knowing that the C658 is better won't erk me I think, 

Looking seriously at a XMC-1 ATM but the case isn't closed on either NAD yet. 

Would have be great to have a listen, thanks 

thanks for all the input on this..

just laid down the cash on an Emotiva XMC-2

about $3.3k AUD delivered with my 40% upgrade card but I will have to buy a streamer down the track, have a few Raspberry Pi and PC options already

a little worried about the Emotiva/USA issues but for the money I dont think it can be beat.

and it future proofs me a little too, 

( I was this >< close to buying a T758 from Selby for $2k, but I would always be wondering if I could have done better with 2ch)

23 minutes ago, Hytram said:

about $3.3k AUD delivered with my 40% upgrade card but I will have to buy a streamer down the track, have a few Raspberry Pi and PC options already

a little worried about the Emotiva/USA issues but for the money I dont think it can be beat.

( I was this >< close to buying a T758 from Selby for $2k, but I would always be wondering if I could have done better with 2ch)

Good move for you I think, this was your holy grail, now you won't die wondering!

5 hours ago, Hytram said:

FYI - Dirac 2.0 is Dirac live which was available as an upgrade with the XMC-1 ,  well it was for me anyway.

I personally have never had any issues with any of my 3 pieces of emo gear

Edited by steffanth

46 minutes ago, steffanth said:

FYI - Dirac 2.0 is Dirac live which was available as an upgrade with the XMC-1 ,  well it was for me anyway.

Steffan ; you may be referring to dirac full which was $100 extra over the proprietary le version that came with the XMC1 . Other brands got dirac2.0 but Emo didn't pay for the extra licence ; Flac outlines things-

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dirac-live®-2-0-for-nad-and-arcam-is-here-and-a-black-friday-deal-as-well.3711/

The new XMC2 gets it in any case ; though it may take awhile as Emo has replaced the older TI texas instruments chipsets and all the other new brands have a common Momentum data systems processor ..

Nothing but praise for the sound quality even without Dirac yet :)

34 minutes ago, cwt said:

Steffan ; you may be referring to dirac full which was $100 extra over the proprietary le version that came with the XMC1 . Other brands got dirac2.0 but Emo didn't pay for the extra licence ; Flac outlines things-

https://www.avnirvana.com/threads/dirac-live®-2-0-for-nad-and-arcam-is-here-and-a-black-friday-deal-as-well.3711/

The new XMC2 gets it in any case ; though it may take awhile as Emo has replaced the older TI texas instruments chipsets and all the other new brands have a common Momentum data systems processor ..

Nothing but praise for the sound quality even without Dirac yet :)

You are absolutely correct . . . .thanx for clarifying that for me.  I think i confused myself reading somewhere that there may be an upgrade option for durac life for the xmc-1

On 19/12/2019 at 7:37 AM, Hytram said:

and 24hrs after I put down the cash for XMC-2...

the refurb XMC-1 come back on sale

https://emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xmc-1

i really dont think you will be dissapointed with the XMC-2.  think of it as much more future proof than the 1.  

Edited by steffanth

Yeah, that was my thought too

2 hours ago, Hytram said:

Yeah, that was my thought too

The current hdmi2.0b board was designed for the XMC2 ;it was shoehorned into the XMC1 and was ages till it worked properly [or close ]:)  And you have gained an extra 3db of signal/noise ratio on the fully balanced center channel ; and the lfe out 😉 Good excuse for some monoblocks on the l/c/r one day..

So.... 

My XMC-2 has been in Australian Customs for 4 weeks now.. 

F&#king Scomo.. 

It's always his fault 

4 hours ago, Hytram said:

So.... 

My XMC-2 has been in Australian Customs for 4 weeks now.. 

F&#king Scomo.. 

It's always his fault 

Have to pay that GST!

Been there.. Done that.. 

Guest vagabond

There might be better firmware available by the time you get it.

6 minutes ago, vagabond said:

There might be better firmware available by the time you get it.

Must be close or they wouldn't be handing out the beta to a select few possibly :)

I was thinking by the time I got it the XMC-3 would be available.. 

Looks like customs finally cleared it to Aust post yesterday.. 

It's like watching lead paint dry.. (leaves a bad taste in your mouth and takes a few years off your life) 

Complain enough and it will come... 

20200125_104111.jpg