2019 SNA Album Of The Year

On 05/12/2019 at 3:33 PM, wasabijim said:

additional food for thought

Double J - The 50 best albums of 2019

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/music-reads/features/50-best-albums-of-2019/11757228

19 hours ago, wasabijim said:

just so happened they did a J-file this evening on the 2019 year in review 

https://www.abc.net.au/doublej/programs/the-j-files/2019-the-year-that-was/11743512

i recommend a listen

What are your top 10 albums of the year?   

I can link another half dozen 2019 album of the year lists, but this is the SNA 2019 albums of the year so we are interesting in hearing real experiences of what one digs.

cheers

Ray Alder - What the Water Wanted

Pattern Seeking Animals - s/t

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Ghosteen

Diamond Head - The Coffin Train

Dream Theater - Distance Over Time

Tool - Fear Inoculum

Skunk Anansie - 25LIVE@25

Spread Eagle - Subway to the Stars

King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard - Fishing for Fishies

Thunder - Please Remain Seated

• Like 1

just click on the album name or band name for the discogs entry.

Top 10 Albums Of The Year

Rüfüs Du Sol* - Solace - the highlight and easily album of the year for me. This Aussie synth pop band are at the very top of the tree globally - great to chill to, great to dance to and sound quality is superb - thanks to my daughter I am now one of their biggest fans.

in no order the following 2019 releases are also very worthy and superb in their own right.

Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow   -   full band sound with quite a bit of synth.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre - The Brian Jonestown Massacre  - they guys just keep delivering

Billie Eilish - When We All Fall Asleep, Where Do We Go?  - believe the hype 

Khalid (16) - Free Spirit  -  this kid is an unbelievable talent and his 2nd album is superb 

The Young Gods - Data Mirage Tangram - proof that old rockers don't die, they come back as superior prog rockers - thanks to @Dave O))) for putting back into them.

Lloyd Cole - Guesswork   - a cold sounding synth from Lloyd make beautiful noise.

LDR* - NFR!  - been a fan since the begining, but the much maligned Lana all of a sudden seems respected and cool - funny how critics and fans are- great album

Chelsea Wolfe - Birth Of Violence   - Chesea has removed herself from the doom industrial sound to a more personal acoustic based sound that shows off how good her voice is

Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds* - Ghosteen  - one of Nicks most personal and best

Moon Duo - Stars Are The Light  - psychedelic synth rock done perfectly 

FKA twigs - Magdalene  - more introspective and operatic than her previous synth dance - beautiful

Discovery Of The Year (bought, but not released in 2019)

Film School - Bright To Death  - 2018 release and in my top 2 fav albums bought in 2019.  This is Shoegaze at its best.

Maya Jane Coles - Take Flight  - superb downtempo trip hop that I just bought in the UK as it looked cool  - I bought all her albums after this including her alto ego Nocturnal Sunshine

Australian Album Of The Year

Dope Lemon - Smooth Big Cat   - kick arse drug fueled doper blues album from Angus Stone

Julia Jacklin - Crushing - haunting album from Julia that really show off her vocals and songwriting.

Broods - Don't Feed The Pop Monster - super synth pop from the girl.guy duo

The Beasts* - Still Here - they still show they have it - Spencer Jones final moment captured on his his song " At the Hospital" is wonderful.

HTRK - Venus In Leo  - another superb moody sparse electronic album

Crooked Colours - Langata  - another superb synth pop album

Reissues of the Year

Prince - 1999  - 10 LP reissue - awesome

The Artist (Formerly Known As Prince) - Emancipation  - 6LP, first time on vinyl - fckun awesome!!

The Beatles - Abbey Road  - 4LP reissue - really well done

Edited by metal beat
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

Gulp, ok this may be sacrilege, but...

I have been listening to Qobuz new releases playlist, which each week samples 20 plus new release albums. Much more eclectic (all music styles) than tidal or spotify, and great sound quality.

My find of the year! Got to hear/try most of the stuff listed on this thread.

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

FKA twigs - Magdalene  - more introspective and operatic than her previous synth dance - beautiful

I’m just now listening to this for the second time. I listened to it for the first time a couple of nights ago and I’ve been thinking about it - like, not that it’s been in my head but I’ve actually been thinking about it - a lot. It’s dense and clever and constantly surprising like the first time I heard DJ Shadow’s Entroducing or Radiohead’s Kid A or something like that. I’m utterly fascinated by it. The songs don’t really stick with me as such but the sound of it, particularly in headphones, is so involving. Highly recommend giving it a listen. Might be the most interesting release for me this year

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RankStranger said:

I’m just now listening to this for the second time. I listened to it for the first time a couple of nights ago and I’ve been thinking about it - like, not that it’s been in my head but I’ve actually been thinking about it - a lot. It’s dense and clever and constantly surprising like the first time I heard DJ Shadow’s Entroducing or Radiohead’s Kid A or something like that. I’m utterly fascinated by it. The songs don’t really stick with me as such but the sound of it, particularly in headphones, is so involving. Highly recommend giving it a listen. Might be the most interesting release for me this year

Agree - the sound that Tahliah gets is amazing and gets you listening to the album, rather than a set of songs.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

not quite 10 and in no particular order

R-12579871-1538212760-7669.jpeg.jpg

The John Butler Trio - Home

R-13641839-1558112770-6089.jpeg.jpg

Black Mountain - Destroyer

R-14165130-1570043152-5683.jpeg.jpg

The Cat Empire - Stolen Diamonds

R-13843860-1562405021-5934.jpeg.jpg

Olympia (11) - Flamingo

R-13783306-1561033850-6133.jpeg.jpg

Hot Chip - A Bath Full Of Ecstasy

Fear Inoculum album cover  Tool (2) ‎– Fear Inoculum

R-12638561-1539120025-5306.jpeg.jpg

GUNSHIP - Dark All Day (Horsie In The Hedge LLP - HITH008LPS) 2018

Genre Album Of The Year

Japanese feel-good Jazz Scar Funk Fusion crossover (or something like that)

R-14553452-1576942313-2570.jpeg.jpg

Your Song Is Good - Sessions (Kakubarhythm - DDCK-1059)

The Cat Empire - Stolen Diamonds

Olympia (11) - Flamingo a close second 

On 01/12/2019 at 1:07 PM, proftournesol said:

OK folks, it's that time of the year, again.

Genre Album Of The Year

Edited by wasabijim