proftournesol

2019 SNA Album Of The Year

OK folks, it's that time of the year, again.

Top 10 Albums Of The Year

Discovery Of The Year (bought, but not released in 2019)

Genre Album Of The Year

Australian Album Of The Year

Remastered version of Abby Road on Vinyl.

Album of the year - Coldplay’s new one is up there, but Fear Inoculum is a ripper.

Discovery - this one’s harder, but based on constant rotation I’d have to say Air’s Love 2.

3 hours ago, proftournesol said:

OK folks, it's that time of the year, again.

Close of polling?

PS - I love these threads, as it cues me into all the good music, that I was supposed to be listening to during the year, so keep posting everyone!   :)  :party

Edited by davewantsmoore

Lotus by Soen. 

29 minutes ago, nonsynchro said:

Daft Punk's Random Access Memory

That’s  2013 so discovery of 2019 I guess ?

for me: 2019

Nick Cave “Ghosteen”

Tool “Fear inoculum”

moon duo, stars are the light 

bill frisell and thomas morgan, epistrophy

Album Of The Year. Volbeat- Rewind, Replay, Rebound

Discovery Of The Year. Gary Moore-Still Got The Blues. I haven't the faintest clue why I overlooked this brilliant album for years. Bought in on a whim mid year and haven't stopped playing it since.

Album Of The Year. 

6 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Close of polling?

PS - I love these threads, as it cues me into all the good music, that I was supposed to be listening to during the year, so keep posting everyone!   :)  :party

Whenever

My best of 2019 roughly in descending order:

Popular 

Raphael Saadiq - Jimmy Lee

cover.jpg.c3a3a13458a66de81ff9ea6d1cc9173b.jpg

Veteran R&B artist Raphael Saadiq has sculptured a jewel with his fifth release, Jimmy Lee. It is rich with stylistic and melodic ideas, and as cohesive as classics of yesteryear. Modern-day production doesn't mask a soulful sensibility throughout. 

Michael Kiwanuka - Kiwanuka

cover.jpg.b45faf897d28040dd377439fe271066c.jpg

Musically inspired with some unmistakable moments of beauty, Kiwanuka is marginally let down by brick-walling that is most noticeable in the busier songs. Regardless, British-Ugandan Michael Kiwanuka has outdone himself with an album equal to anything in the soul-jazz canon (think Terry Callier, Andy Bey, Roy Ayers, Blood Sweat & Tears...).

Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel

cover.jpg.efd80bb87b43636a2789469e0eb79dab.jpg

Dublin five-piece Fontaines D.C. have left pretty deep footprints with their spirited neo-punk debut, Dogrel. Equal parts angry snarl and urban poetry, these are improbably accomplished songs for such fresh explorers. A band to follow.

Little Simz - Grey Area

cover.jpg.e5a38c2c680d737158d718d4588e7804.jpg

Best rap album of 2019, though one shouldn't confine such a tasteful record to a single genre. London-born Little Simz (Simbi Ajikawo) is powerful and authentic in her delivery, while her funky tunes unfold with an almost graceful ease.

Sigrid - Sucker Punch

cover.jpg.7579bd7bc37426a82ca1bc06551da7bb.jpg

Maiden album by Norwegian popster Sigrid, replete with charming and deceptively good songs. A standout in what has been a strong year for music. 

Aldous Harding - Designer 

cover.thumb.jpg.8ac744fdec4dde65d76a127e9b2fddda.jpg

New Zealand songstress Aldous Harding beguiles us with her third folk-coloured offering, Designer. Her inviting voice and lushly appealing backdrop are evident from the off, but the consistent songcraft is what holds our attention.

I Prevail - Trauma  

cover.jpg.b3c253c005cccb7d76657b4c7ac069b2.jpg

Michigan's I Prevail reinvigorate the Linkin Park metal+rap+melody formula with their sophomore album Trauma, and it works almost as well as the trailblazers' Hybrid Theory and Meteora. This year's guilty pleasure.

Classical 

Shostakovich: Symphony No. 7 "Leningrad" - Jansons, Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks

Shostakovich.jpg.46b024ee8106dce21354af652d69f11f.jpg

With Mariss Jansons' passing last month we lost the world's greatest contemporary conductor, and this recording with his beloved Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra is a fine testament to his artistry. The Leningrad isn't easy to pull off, but Jansons has a natural affinity with the work as evinced by his previous recordings with the Leningrad Philharmonic and Amsterdam's Concertgebouw. With the BRSO he gives his players near autonomy in the symphony's starker moments, then stirs up yearning crescendos in the climaxes. His latest reading can stand beside Bernstein's legendary 1988 account with the Chicago Symphony.

Bruckner: Symphony No. 9 - Honeck, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra

Bruckner9.jpg.3de6937c884c3cfc6e7390285497f4a9.jpg

Manfred Honeck's interpretations are nothing if not self-assured, and happily his conception of Bruckner's 9th is utterly convincing. Sweeping phrases are crafted with subtle rubato and themes are linked seamlessly throughout. On some Pittsburgh Symphony albums the bass instruments compound to muddy proportions, but Reference Recordings has done a fine job here.

Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Op. 109, 110, 111 - Steven Osborne 

Osborne.jpg.65f5fe481b6514c309f8ff286d10a525.jpg

As concert-goers will tell you, Scottish pianist Steven Osborne plays with a wonderful sensitivity —  a sincerity, that favours the composer's leanings over the performer's. In this context, when spontaneity arrives it feels natural and pertinent. Osborne also brings great clarity and drive to louder, complex passages: what a great recipe for Beethoven's last three sonatas. The sound of Hyperion's Steinway is pristine, although the treble does tend towards hardness during Beethoven's fortissimos.   

Edited by was_a

Wilco - Ode to Joy (2019)

Bill Frisell - Harmony (2019)

Anouar Brahem - Blue Maqams (2017)

This hasn't been a great year for new music IMHO

Top 10 Albums Of The Year

Underworld - Drift Series 1. A 6 CD masterwork reflecting a 52 week project of releasing new tracks every week. The collaboration with The Necks is masterful

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen. One of their best albums

Leonard Cohen - Thanks For The Dance. Any Leonard Cohen album is almost an automatic entry

Moon Duo - Stars Are The Light. Mixed reviews, but, I think it's their strongest album. More Sanae on this one

Fenella - Feherlofia. Jane Weaver is a musical polymath

Eva Geist - Urban Monogamy. Dark ambient groove from the Berlin based Italian

Sleaford Mods - Eaton Alive. More political street music from this great British duo

Discovery Of The Year (bought, but not released in 2019)

Aretha Franklin - Aretha's Gold MFSL double 45rpm release. Amazing quality, amazing album

Genre Album Of The Year

Australian Album Of The Year

Teskey Brothers - Run Home Slow

Emma Russack - Winter Blues

Hi All,

In no particular order.

NEW RELEASES:

Devin Townsend - Empath                                                             Thom Yorke - Anima

Empath.jpg.47c9e2e6da306b317c95dd47780ffc23.jpg                        Thom.jpg.f0ed6368afc1038bcbdf4bdc7714762b.jpg

Opeth - In Cauda Venenum                                                          Khruangbin - Con Todo El Mundo

Opeth.jpg.cdeef61e55c99974593c9ab927acbedf.jpg                        1476204780_ConTodo.jpg.bfbb645276b290c05d5b139006f583e0.jpg

David Byrne - Grown Backwards                                                Rhiannon Giddens’s - There Is No Other

1724015592_DavidByrne.jpg.a3a703e9e9ab37ef02f97621e23eda84.jpg                         337232949_RhiannonGiddens.jpg.0e84be2c84a1dd10e042aa394b7b9a75.jpg

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Ghosteen                                       Flying Lotus - Flamagra

Ghosteen.jpg.1eec1e4cbe1a3c73f1d7a3413452cd37.jpg                         Flamagra.jpg.9c022f234a2d2d363fa8b2c8f8dd3337.jpg

Santana - Africa Speaks                                                                The Flaming Lips    King's Mouth

1587193388_AfricaSpeaks.jpeg.7627d68e5ea637f2030c48824f93263b.jpeg                         Flaming.jpg.9e8bd0d73b8984df181ee38af8788302.jpg

DISCOVERY OF THE YEAR

Heilung - Lifa

Heilung.jpg.b95897da48eab2650548165b4187cd6c.jpg

JJ