Sign in to follow this  
t_mike

Buddy Rich on Country Music.

This is almost 18 minutes long, but worth the watch. Some great drumming by Buddy before he gives his impressions on country music, and why!

Buddy was a great drummer and huge arsehole 😉

Very silly argument if I understand it correctly 

A hillbilly would describe it as pig ignorant

Jazz is more intelligent than country music and country music players and fans are not too bright

I think it’s true that People like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams are not intellectual but they had something much more important and that is a greater understanding and empathy with the less well of and the frailty of human beings and the sorrows brought about by those frailties including broken hearts and bodies and drunkenness 

As for people like Bob Dylan Leonard Cohen Keith Richards The Beatles all of whom love country music and often reflected it in their own music they can hardly be called not intelligent or bad musicians 

And the idea that musicians like Doc Watson Tony Rice or Bill Monroe Earl Scruggs can’t play is really silly

Glen Campbell singled out by Buddy for personal criticism was a member of The Wrecking Crew in the 60’s are a group of session players with jazz backgrounds that played on thousands of records

Cant imagine getting a gig with them would be easy for someone that couldn’t play

One more thing

At least part of what makes country music so great is it’s simplicity 

Something that is probably beyond Buddy’s comprehension 

But not everyone can play it because along with that simplicity is a whole lifetime of human lived experience minus the theory 

Buddy great musician that he is would be hopelessly out of his depth

14 hours ago, t_mike said:

I'm not such a big fan of his attitude towards country music but I love his acting in Star Trek.

BTW is the female co-host '99' from Get Smart?