1080 projector around $500?

I've never paid much attention to home cinema before, but I've noticed that you can pick up second-hand Blu-Ray discs very cheaply.  This has got me thinking about buying a 1080 projector.  Is it possible to buy a good used projector for around $500? I could pay a little more, but I don't watch many films these days so I don't want to overspend.  Any recommendations?  I'm thinking about using a screen that rises up (this way I can hide it behind my hifi stand).  Thanks.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-home-theatre-systems/qld/benq+projector/k0c21118l3008841?sort=rank

benq w1070 is an example but worth around $500/550 not what these sellers are asking imo

you can usually pick up a benq w1070/1070+ for $500/550.. epson sellers tend to want a bit more but if patient should find a epson ehtw5300 to 5600 series pj.

the benq is a closer throw pj.. so 100" at 2.5m vs 100" at about 3m. dlp vs lcd. both have pros and cons.

2nd hand pj screens hold value like a new car driven off the lot. with all the sales on i would just keep a look out as many people will upgrade to 4k and this means more sellers which brings competition, lower more realistic pricing. ?

Edited by hopefullguy

1 hour ago, hopefullguy said:

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-home-theatre-systems/qld/benq+projector/k0c21118l3008841?sort=rank

benq w1070 is an example but worth around $500/550 not what these sellers are asking imo

you can usually pick up a benq w1070/1070+ for $500/550.. epson sellers tend to want a bit more but if patient should find a epson ehtw5300 to 5600 series pj.

the benq is a closer throw pj.. so 100" at 2.5m vs 100" at about 3m. dlp vs lcd. both have pros and cons.

2nd hand pj screens hold value like a new car driven off the lot. with all the sales on i would just keep a look out as many people will upgrade to 4k and this means more sellers which brings competition, lower more realistic pricing. ?

Thanks for all that information - I'll see what's available and maybe post a WTB. Greatly appreciated.

maybe this then?

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

Only 12 months old (still a current model), still has 5 year warranty (1 year factory and 4 year replacement through Harvey Norman). Can be put onto 140" screen or wall. I currently have it on 110"...
WWW.GUMTREE.COM.AU

Epson projector about 2 years old minimally used places on the coffee table straight onto the wall so no screen Lamp is replaceable and is relatively cheap ..., 1234915811

Edited by seaninbrisbane

my searching was limited to gumtree QLD for pick up reasons.. the ebay unit is a 5300 or a 5600.. the seller seems confused as the title says 5300 and the epson link is to the 5600. the 4 year warranty is a bonus as LONG AS you get the receipt and the paperwork to transfer that extra warranty to your name.. and the seller will post. is it worth $750? if a 5300 no as it is the model before current and i would definately expect to pick up a current 5600 for even less. keep watching epson seconds website they usually come up around $600 ish https://www.epson.com.au/shoponline/shop/BrowseProducts.asp?CatID=6&Store=Refurb

as for the gumtree unit..its in W.A. so i doubt will ship. but around 400-450 tops is probably ok. always ask if they have original box/packing. if not thats a big negative from me. these things are fragile..a bit of bubble wrap in a non reinforced box is not good enough.

• Like 1

Its possible to spend $500 and get a result. My first PJ was a BenQ. Came with a screen. 

You dont need a necessarily need a Projector if you want to dip your feet in the HT pond. They do make it more immersive with the right one but HT is more about the sound. Atmos is cool and all but 5.1 can be great if done well.

18 hours ago, hopefullguy said:

the thing is that with ebay and using paypal you do get some protection in case of a problem as they do tend to favour the buyer.

Tell me about it we feed them money then...