Component racks ... any affordable suggestions?

I've been on the phone or trawling the web for most of the day and I've finally settled on some nice Solidsteel (made in Italy) racks from Selby audio. They are absolutely gorgeous ... but even with 20% Black Friday discount they are $750 ... I just cant justify it. Any suggestions? I had a quick look at ebay and there are made in China items that look very similar for 1/4 the price or better. Any happy customers willing to recommend anything?

2 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

I've been on the phone or trawling the web for most of the day and I've finally settled on some nice Solidsteel (made in Italy) racks from Selby audio. They are absolutely gorgeous ... but even with 20% Black Friday discount they are $750 ... I just cant justify it. Any suggestions? I had a quick look at ebay and there are made in China items that look very similar for 1/4 the price or better. Any happy customers willing to recommend anything?

You are fortunate that you live in Adelaide as a member and a great friend here will make you a superb quality custom rack in whatever configuration you like. he also happens to be one of the best people on the planet........ Contact @Grizzly for further discussion

• Like 2

Being the happy recipient of some speaker stands that Anthony made I can recommend that you have a chat.  Pricing was very good and considering the quality of the end product it was more than reasonable.  Excellent workmanship and very honest to deal with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, gregmacc said:

Confession time ... I eventually swallowed my pride and went for the Solidsteel items ... my price expectations were initially VERY unrealistic ... many thanks to @Gr11zzly for his gracious correspondence.   

So what's wrong with Bunnings laminated-bamboo shelves supported by concrete blocks?  :lol:

Andy

1 hour ago, furtherpale said:

First day of setup after a 10 year absence from hifi... worked a treat until I knew what size stand I needed :D

33DD546A-7878-44EF-A39E-7C52ACB1AE15.jpeg

That's ma man!  :thumb:

However, you scrimped, using those laminate shelves!  The 'audiophile' version - using laminated bamboo shelves - will sound better.  :lol:

Andy

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I custom built my own stackable rack using 2" thick Canadian maple platforms from Timbernation in the US.

I had the rack bars made from solid brass rods, done by a computer CNC machinist in Wingfield SA.

I also had different size spare rods made, so if you get a tall or short amplifier you can raise or lower the height of a shelf to suit.

Total cost to do this type of rack now would probably be about 2k.

rack-01.jpg.a46a0a06f1f0158f9801fded3e2354bc.jpg

rack-02.thumb.jpg.d9300635d1aebed827e73cce5ac801f6.jpg

• Like 2

Guest vagabond
On 04/12/2019 at 1:11 PM, gregmacc said:

Confession time ... I eventually swallowed my pride and went for the Solidsteel items ... my price expectations were initially VERY unrealistic ... many thanks to @Gr11zzly for his gracious correspondence.   

Solidsteel racks are very well made - I bought a couple of S5-5 units recently - and I reckon they will hold their value reasonably well if you ever need to move them on.

Also it turned out they were quite a bit of fun to put together.

4 hours ago, vagabond said:

Solidsteel racks are very well made - I bought a couple of S5-5 units recently - and I reckon they will hold their value reasonably well if you ever need to move them on.

Also it turned out they were quite a bit of fun to put together.

I have 4 Solidsteel racks.... :)

I'm using one of these for my home theatre setup + guitar amps + karaoke gear

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SAMSON-SRK-12-EQUIPMENT-RACK-ON-WHEELS-12RU/290675007141?epid=1965916779&hash=item43ad949ea5:g:8icAAOSwFgNdTdFb&frcectupt=true

The trick was finding a rack mount AVR that didn't cost an arm and a leg. I got the Tascam PA-R100. I only needed 5.1