BLACK FRIDAY DEALS

@Hytram  "We" aren't. The rest of the world is.

The history of Black Friday started much earlier than people may think. The day after Thanksgiving has been the unofficial beginning of the Christmas season since the late 19th century when President Abraham Lincoln designated the Thanksgiving holiday as the last Thursday in November.1

The day after Thanksgiving wasn't called Black Friday then. The name was associated with September 24, 1869. Two speculators, Jay Gould, and James Fisk created a boom-and-bust in gold prices. A stock market crash followed as prices fell 20%. The disruption in gold prices sent commodity prices plummeting 50%. Corruption in Tammany Hall allowed Gould and Fisk to escape without punishment.2

In 1905, Canadian department store Eaton's began the first Thanksgiving Day parade by bringing Santa on a wagon through the streets of downtown Toronto3. In 1913, eight live reindeer pulled Santa's "sleigh." By 1916, seven floats representing nursery rhyme characters joined Santa in the parade. 

In 1924, the Eaton's parade inspired Macy's Department Store to launch its famous Thanksgiving Day parade in New York City. Macy's wanted to celebrate its success during the Roaring 20s. The parade boosted shopping for the following day. Retailers had a gentleman's agreement to wait until then before advertising holiday sales.4 

In 1939, during the Great Depression, Thanksgiving happened to fall during the fifth week of November. Retailers warned they would go bankrupt because the holiday shopping season was too short. They petitioned President Franklin D. Roosevelt to move the Thanksgiving holiday up to the fourth Thursday.

Unfortunately, by this time it was late October. Most people had already made their plans. Some were so upset that they called the holiday "Franksgiving" instead. Only 25 states followed FDR's move. Texas and Colorado celebrated two holidays, which forced some companies to give their employees an extra day off.5

In 1941, Congress ended the confusion. It passed a law that made Thanksgiving the fourth Thursday in November no matter what.6 

In the 1950s, people began calling in sick the day after Thanksgiving, essentially giving themselves a four-day weekend. Since stores were open, as were most businesses, those playing hooky could also get a head start on their holiday shopping.7 That’s as long as the boss didn't see them. Rather than try to determine whose pay should be cut, and who was legitimately sick, many businesses started adding that day as another paid holiday. 

In 1966, the Black Friday name became famous in print. That's when a story appeared in an ad in The American Philatelist, a stamp collectors' magazine.  The Philadelphia Police Department used the name to describe the traffic jams and crowding in the downtown stores. 8

In 2014, an internet meme created a myth about Black Friday and slaves. It falsely claimed slave traders gave discounts at auctions on the day after Thanksgiving.9 

Black Friday Sales History

Historically, shoppers did half their holiday shopping on Black Friday. The holiday season consists of November and December, according to the National Retail Federation (NRF)10.

• In 2008, holiday sales fell 4.6% from the prior year. That's the first time sales dropped since the NRF began tracking in 1992. Sales typically rose 3.4% each year.
  • In 2009, sales increased by 0.3%. Shoppers spent $373 each on Black Friday. That's more than half of the $673 each spent during the entire 2009 holiday season.
  • Holiday sales rebounded 5.2% in 2010, once the recession was safely over. Black Friday weekend sales were $45 billion.
  • In 2011, many stores opened on Thanksgiving evening for the first time. Those sales were included in Black Friday sales. They were $12.3 billion, up 2.3% from 2010. Overall holiday sales rose 4.6%. 
  • In 2013, combined online and store sales for the entire Black Friday weekend were $57.4 million. It was lower than the $60 million spent in 2012. Many shoppers took advantage of online sales that began in early November. Others waited for bigger discounts later in the shopping season. The NRF stopped giving sales estimates for Black Friday in 2013. Instead, it reported on sales for the holiday season11.
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Luc said:

Black Friday at Thornbury Records, 20-50% off!  

Click this

What the....

I could buy it just for the cover!

image.png.ec0bde37c2b8692fc62f2af71eab68c2.png

Akiko Yano - Iroha Ni Konpeitu

$46.40 Inc. GST

-20%

$58.00 Inc. GST

Wewantsounds - WWSLP18

Includes Digital Download

1 x 12" Vinyl Album AKIKO YANO'S CULT SECOND STUDIO ALBUM FROM 1977 FEATURING THE CREAM OF TOKYO AND NEW YORK MUSICIANS IN FUNK MODE Wewantsounds continues its Akiko Yano reissue programme with the release of "Iroha Ni Konpeitou," another superb Akiko Yano album and one of her funkiest, highlighting her unmissable singing and songwriting talents. Recorded in Tokyo and New York City, the album features a superb line up of the best musicians from both cities and sees Yano mixing Japanese pop with funk and a touch of electronics, playing a wide array of keyboards programmed by YMO synth wizard Hideki Matsutake. This is the first time the album is released outside of Japan and this deluxe LP edition includes remastered sound, download card plus the original 4-page insert with poster, lyrics and full line-up. "Iroha Ni Konpeitou" is perhaps Akiko Yano's best known album in the Western world not just because of its striking front cover - a shot by famed photographer Bishin Jumonji featuring Akiko holding an inflatable dolphin (legend has it all the props and clothes were borrowed from the set of an Issey Miyake ad), but because the album is one of Akiko's funkiest ones. A slick mix of Japanese Pop and New York funk, the album was recorded in Tokyo except for the "Iroha Ni Konpeitou" title track which was recorded in NYC with an all-star line-up consisting of Rick Marotta, David Spinozza, Will Lee and Nicky Marrero. For the rest of the album, Akiko is accompanied by some of the best musicians from the Tokyo music scene gravitating around the groups Happy End and Tin Pan Alley: the ubiquitous Haruomi Hosono on bass, Tatsuo Hayashi on drums, Shigeru Suzuki on guitar to name just a few. Interestingly two Hosono compositions are featured on the album, "Ai Ai Gasa" which he recorded on his 1973 landmark debut "Hosono House" and "Hourou" originally recorded in 75 by singer and musician Chu Kosaka (on the eponymous album "Horo"). Last but not least Hideki Matsutake is handling the keyboard programming duties on the album as Yano is playing a wide array of keyboards: Moog IIIc, Mini Moog, String Ensemble, on top of the Fender Rhodes, Clavinet, Yamaha CP7C. Matsutake would soon become programmer in chief for YMO, touring and playing with them around the world (like Yano herself). Although the album feels very accessible and funky, there are complex keyboard layers underneath as on the first short introduction 'KAWAJI', a short electro fantasy, or on such tracks as "Ai Ai Gasa" and "Kino Wa Mou" on which Akiko is playing bass with her Moog, making the album a richly textured and inventive one once you scratch its surface. The tracks on the album flow effortlessly also highlighting Akiko Yano's superb songwriting and knack for creating fascinating pop song. "Iroha Ni Konpeitou" sounds as fresh and beautiful as when it first came out more than forty years ago and will please the growing circle of Akiko Yano fans around the world as a welcome addition to her brilliant discography.

Side A:
Kawaji
Iroha Ni Konpeitou
A Long Wait
Hourou
Ike Yanagida

Side B:
Hai Hai Gasa
Potsun
Kinou Wa Mou
On The Way Home
East Wind

@mrbuzzardstubble    Martin I know you don't do vinyl but you need the digital of this...haha!

Thanks for the heads-up Luc,but i don't do downloads either.

and another  .....   this is a 'nice introduction to the joys of vinyl' beginners package with free shipping to most states

WWW.DUTCHVINYL.COM.AU

We are able to offer you an incredible system for Black Friday + Cyber Monday only! We have included free shipping in the price to most Australian locations with the exception of Northern...

20% off at Len Wallis today and tomorrow.

Thinking hard about grabbing a Bluesound Powernode 2i as part of a downsize / downgrade phase.

I'd really like the NAD M10 but it is well beyond budget.

There might be a fire sale of my components (pre/power, cdp, headphone amp, DAC, Node2) over the next week if do go grab a Powernode - definitely 50% off RRP on those items if I put them in the classifieds. 

Could I call it "Scorched Earth Sale" if I do? Because it will be the only way I keep distance between my wife's hands and my neck with a new component arriving.

Edited by dirktoggler
spelling error

2 minutes ago, dirktoggler said:

20% off at Len Wallis today and tomorrow.

Thinking hard about grabbing a Bluesound Powernode 2i

Lend Wallet is a good long term company in the audio industry, you could do worse than buy off them.

Mention their nickname and who knows you might get a bigger discount!?

• Like 1

Awesome prices for BenQ refurbed projectors along with warranty looks like a bloody good deal to me - here.

It does Keith ; no surprise to see the LED model gone already ;)

Edited by cwt

22 hours ago, Luc said:

Entry level Pro-ject TT. I'm grabbing one for an Xmas pressie and why not? 50% off at the checkout. $699 RRP take half of that way and I think it's free shipping as well.

SAVE 50% on Walnut with coupon BF-DEBUT at checkout! Ends 2nd Dec!

So the link is here>>> click

So anybody else who finds an audio bargain over the next few days, feel free to post a link.

I'll get this moderated so we don't fall into a slanging match about how good or bad the items/deals are.

It's just a heads up for what's out there nothing else. This might be the only deal posted...who knows.

Thanks for the heads up.One of my daughter"s friends just got one.

Bargain!!!!!

• Like 1

Some decent buying on the Bing Lee ebay storefront - some TVs are already on special, plus when you add the 20% discount code (capped at a maximum $1000 discount), the results are very pleasing to the wallet.

Q75R QLED 75" for $2,876 (RRP $5,249 and a sticker price usually hovering around $4,500):

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

Samsung Series 7 55" Q75R QLED 4K TV | QA55Q75RAWXXY | QA55Q75RA. Compared to Samsung QLED Q60 and lower. It's a powerful processor that provides an amazing experience. Get the...

Samsung B9 65" OLED for $2,396:

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

LG ThinQ AI. AI ThinQ: Yes. Screen Technology4K UHD. 4K UHD Streaming: Yes. Perfect black and infinite contrast bring out shadow detail in the darkest scenes. That's the power of 8.3...

and a bunch of other OLEDs with the same 20% discount:

WWW.EBAY.COM.AU

Shop eBay for great deals from binglee!

On 28/11/2019 at 5:19 PM, Rup said:

15 % off on all downloads at            NativeDSD Music

15 % off on all downloads at          Vinyl Records, SACDs, DVD Audio, Audiophile Equipment|Acoustic Sounds

50 % off on some downloads at  Sound Liaison Music Shop

147 XUNI131392F192__147585__11202019123546-9 Littlblue300shadowv2.png

It's ''only'' 40% off on the  ! CARMEN GOMES, THOUSAND SHADES OF BLUE album but what an album it is! 

Her style is bluesy and intimate with a sexy voice that's sweet as dark tupelo honey, and her interpretations are unerring. The musicians play to her and to each other, and the ensemble is so tight that the four musicians breathe and move as one.

There are some standards on the set that knocked me over with their fresh approach. Any singer can misplace a few accents and rhythms and come up with something that's original, but perhaps also uneasy and a little strange. Not Gomes, who has taken the songs to their bones and then restructured them to suit her style. Thus "Fever" doesn't sound like a cover of Peggy Lee; it sounds like a brand new take on a familiar song. You emerge from hearing it not thinking it's better or lesser than Lee's version, but that it's a valid new interpretation that could have come first.

The same approach works on "Angel Eyes," "You Don't Know What Love Is," and "I'm on Fire." Most of the rest, including the title song, "Oblivion," "Time Will Tell," "Gasoa Blue," and "The Sea," are Gomes originals that fit right in with the standards. The recording achieves exactly what Bjørnild set out as his goal. It can provide the best seat in your listening room. Go to the Sound Liaison site, listen to a few samples, download an album, and see if you don't agree that this intimate effort is one of the best and best-sounding jazz vocal albums to come along in many a day.

Edited by Rup

CSTB200shadowDXD.jpgalso great but only 20% off; https://www.soundliaison.com/index.php/276-carmen-gomes-sings-the-blues

Carmen Gomes: Carmen Gomes Sings the Blues

Another gem from Sound Liaison, this recording is Carmen Gomes' take on Harry Belafonte's Belafonte Sings the Blues.
Recorded in DXD, this recording is available in any high Rez flavor you prefer. The sound is killerhttps://www.audiostream.com/content/lovely-recordings-hosted-joe-whip-part-4

Edited by Rup

I picked up a set today. Great cans with excellent sound stage. Comes with a Dragonfly Red DAC. $799!

ADDICTEDTOAUDIO.COM.AU

Introducing Elegia, the first closed-back headphone from Focal. Featuring a driver with a copper voice coil and a dedicated...

Cheers

Chris

Edited by chrismwpcs

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, Bronal said:

That sounds very much like resale price maintenance, which has been unlawful in Australia for over forty years.

Addicted to Audio own https://www.busisoft.com.au/brands so they actually ARE the distributor though technically they argue that because they are two separate companies they are separate entities and there is no conflict of interest. This is legally correct though in practise of course the shareholders are the same, as are management and directors to some degree.  One day Manufacturers will wise up and see that it is better for consumers that they sell direct to dealers and cut out the middle man. Dealers can easily provide warranty service or outsource that to service centres who don't compete on sales.. Win Win except for middle men or retailers masking as middle men and enjoying FAT margins whilst boutique family dealers are marginalised literally!.

Will I get banned for saying this since stereo net get ad money from distributors? Hmm we shall see however what's legal and what is moral and good for consumers are often two different things.....

Edited by ASG
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ASG said:

Addicted to Audio own https://www.busisoft.com.au/brands so they actually ARE the distributor though technically they argue that  because they are two separate companies they are separate entities and there is no conflict of interest. This is legal correct though in practise of course the shareholders are the same as are management and directors to some degree.  One day Manufacturers will wise un an see that it is better for consumers that they sell direct to dealers and cut out the middle man. Dealers can easily provide warrant service or outsource that. Win Win except for middle men  or retailers masking as middle men and enjoying FAT margins whilst boutique family dealers are marginalised literally!.

Will I get banned for saying this since stereo net get ad money from  distributors? Hmm we shall see however what's legal and what is moral and good for consumers is often two different things.....

Primare from Sweden already employ this business model of selling direct to the dealer without the need for a local distributor. Everything seems so much more efficient.

• Administrator
19 hours ago, ASG said:

Will I get banned for saying this since stereo net get ad money from  distributors?

No. And just FYI we have relationships and commercial arrangements with Retailers, Distributors, and Manufacturers (including some that either sell direct to end users, or sell direct to dealers) :)

• Like 1
  • Love 1