A HEALTH WARNING

Ever since I’ve added a quality DAC to my system, my fitness has been in decline...as a retiree I spent far too many hrs on my a** revelling in the amazing music I can stream from Tidal or my own 16/44 FLACs. ???

What do others do when you’ve found yourself spending too much time listening and not doing enough physical activity?  

Definitely a case of ‘move it or lose it’ , the secret is to get up from your listening chair every 15mins or so. Activity is the key, get up and do some gardening, housework, play sport etc (or DIY more audio, build speakers in my case).

Agree certainly, that the advent of computer audio and music streaming services does not help as everything is automated and keeps you in the damn chair. ?

Cheers,

Steve.

Edited by Steve M
  • Like 1

I would have thought getting up to re-position the speakers every 5 minutes to get the best sound would give a you a bit of a workout. Plus those with big, heavy speakers do weight training at the same time. Lots of stretching and bending to get to the rear cabling as well. The list goes on. Not sure what the problem is!

Edited by Jumbuck
  • Like 2

I'd get a good turntable and start buying Vinyl second hand. That means, not only do you need to go out and buy vinyl but you also have to get up to change sides.

I'm 64 and do this regularly. I'm 5'8 and only weigh 106 kilos. ( A lot of that is muscle}:afro: 

• Like 2

Mrs.Feline bought a treadmill 10yrs ago.  For a while I used it.  Bought a cheap modular stereo so I could listen to CDs while using it, which made it more tolerable.  The speakers have a treble emphasis, so can be a bit shrill (and no way to tone it back, it was a cheap stereo), which may be why I don't use the machine as much as I should.  Plus the fact that I hate exercising!  But having music with the machine certainly helped.  

• Like 1

Take your music with you ? Cycling + music is not only great exercise but tends to enhance many genres of music, especially the more energetic or uplifting kind. Swimming with waterproof earphones is another great option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, audiofeline said:

Mrs.Feline bought a treadmill 10yrs ago.  For a while I used it.  Bought a cheap modular stereo so I could listen to CDs while using it, which made it more tolerable.  The speakers have a treble emphasis, so can be a bit shrill (and no way to tone it back, it was a cheap stereo), which may be why I don't use the machine as much as I should.  Plus the fact that I hate exercising!  But having music with the machine certainly helped.  

You have the perfect second system argument.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This thread's title is almost like a tabloid headline: BOLD and SHOCKING but ultimately sketchy and superficial... 

As for the suggestions to get a turntable - all that distortion, noise and popping will surely have a negative impact on health....?

• Haha 1

Found myself in the same situation. Exercise first. Turn the system on, get your 45 minutes to an hour in (household chores, walking, jogging, swimming or whatever come back, you and your system are warmed up and ready to go. 

• Like 1

Guest Muon N'

I never have music on the go while walking/on foot, situational awareness is more important for survival when crossing roads ect', and it is a form of sensory deprivation and avoidance IMV.

As far as exercise goes I found the decline for myself happened when I got into computers, and more so the internet (forums ect'), music listening hasn't even been a competitor to these things as a distraction from activity for myself at least.

I'm temporarily retired now too. My mum went downhill a couple of years ago and now gets home care daily, so I decided to retire from the official workforce at age 53 to help take care of her and also look after her finances. She probably has less than six months to go unfortunately but the whole family will also be relived when she's gone and no longer suffering.  

Re exercise, I walk each day and twice daily do 50 push-ups and sit-ups and also try to limit carbohydrate intake. So far so good because I haven't gained extra weight.  

Early retirement isn't easy from a financial pov. I've now converted some of my super into an income stream but pay the normal marginal tax rates until I'm 60, so I'm currently living (existing) on an income of about $70k pa (after tax) which is far less than I used to earn so I've had to significantly moderate my lifestyle.  After 60 will be better and my retirement income stream will be around $100k unless a future government messes with the super tax, which is highly likely.  I'll also have access to my lump sum which will be nice. 

My ambition from next year though is to start a small business from home to keep myself busy, physically and mentally. I might also start building power amps and preamps and sell direct to the public.  

• Like 5

On 02/12/2019 at 1:06 PM, Art Vandelay said:

Re exercise, I walk each day and twice daily do 50 push-ups and sit-ups

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.  :thumb:

In the cardiac ward, recently, I was told about a couple of fellas who had gone thru open heart surgery and at the age of 80 & 85 ... were still doing 50 pushups a day!  WOW!

(I have something to aim for!  :) )

Andy

3 hours ago, andyr said:

In the cardiac ward, recently, I was told about a couple of fellas who had gone thru open heart surgery and at the age of 80 & 85 ... were still doing 50 pushups a day!  WOW!

(I have something to aim for!  :) )

Andy

That is definitely impressive. 

I'll probably be pushing up 50 daisies at age 85.