TIdal vs Qobuz

gotgot

Hi,

I have been using Tidal for 2 years now. And I'm happy with the MQA format, the ease of use of the app, and the music catalog is getting better and better.

That said, I'm very often experiencing issues with the interface, the app doesn't seem completely stable.

One question for people who use(d) Qobuz, how does it compare in terms of:

- Ease of use

- Stability

- Music catalog

- Connectivity

- Music quality (Qobuz is better on the paper but most of my usage of streaming is on-the-go)

Thanks !

Hi,

I didn't realise that Qobuz was available in AUS. I subscribed to the mailing list for an update. I do find that Tidal seems a little sketchy with our third world internet speeds. Have you tried Audirvana or Roon? They seem to buffer a little better to avoid drop outs. They use a bigger memory cache. 

2 minutes ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Hi,

I didn't realise that Qobuz was available in AUS. I subscribed to the mailing list for an update. I do find that Tidal seems a little sketchy with our third world internet speeds. Have you tried Audirvana or Roon? They seem to buffer a little better to avoid drop outs. They use a bigger memory cache. 

Qobuz is not available in AUS. I have Tidal and had Qobuz via a VPN for the trial period, both played via Roon, I get pretty much instant response using the NBN. I did have some buffering problems but that was caused by a crappy modem that Telstra supplied when I switch to the NBN.

• Like 1

I have both.

It’s like anything... sometimes the MQA sounds better, sometimes the HiRes Flac, sometimes they’re identical and sometimes they both sound good for different reasons.

Tidal seems to have more Aussie rock, Qobuz more variety overall. I also have CD ripped to a hard drive and vinyl.

BluOS is on my streamer, so using them is close to identical.

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Hydrology said:

I ditched Tidal in favour of Qobuz, sound quality for me being the most important factor.

I did however sign back up to Tidal thanks to the 4 months for $1.99 deal.

Me too. Haven't used it yet. Perhaps I have wasted $1.99.

On 28/11/2019 at 2:06 PM, Hydrology said:

I ditched Tidal in favour of Qobuz, sound quality for me being the most important factor.

I did however sign back up to Tidal thanks to the 4 months for $1.99 deal.

I did the same. To my ears Qobuz has the edge on SQ, Tidal has the better catalogue. Have them both for 120 days.

My 2c: been using Tidal for the past week am I'm pretty underwhelmed. I don't find it useful for discovering new music. There aren't many "master" quality tracks on there. The standard lossless "hi-fi" ones that are on there tend to be newer "remastered" versions which are almost always worse than the originals, being victims of the loudness war. It also confuses different artists with the same name - here's an example I thought was funny. The description of the artist says "Not to be confused with the 1980s band of the same name", and then it proceeds to display songs from that very band ?

Clipboard Image (5).png

Edited by b0dhi
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 28/11/2019 at 6:19 PM, BlueOceanBoy said:

Hi,

You just need to use a VPN to sign up.   It will then work afterwards without VPN.

I use Roon and moved from Tidal to Qobuz.  Not a lot of difference from my perspective, I gather its better for classical selection.

Edited by March Audio

2 hours ago, March Audio said:

You just need to use a VPN to sign up.   It will then work afterwards without VPN.

I use Roon and moved from Tidal to Qobuz.  Not a lot of difference from my perspective, I gather its better for classical selection.

Any recommendations on VPN? Sorry I know off topic...

I tried Tidal and thought it was over rated. Even the highest spec IMO sounded average compared to Spotify Premium. Also hated the glitches towards the end of the tracks.

I got the $1.99 deal as well and couldnt be bothered.

17 hours ago, BlueOceanBoy said:

Any recommendations on VPN? Sorry I know off topic...

Well if you want to just use it for sign up to Qubuz I would say anything that gives you a free trial.  As mentioned you don't need it once you are signed up. 

I used the one that comes with my Getflix account. 

On 07/12/2019 at 6:20 PM, furtherpale said:

I use Nord VPN... basically idiot proof, and if you do need it into the future (Netflix country select, as an example) it’s fast.

I’ve been a satisfied Nord VPN user for some time.

Yesterday I spotted the US Qobuz free trial (then USD14.99 / mth) and signed up using Nord US-connectivity, however it seems that my PayPal payment method gets rejected through recognition of an Aussie CC. That results in Qobuz files having a 30s playback limit. Any advice on how to solve?

50 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

I’ve been a satisfied Nord VPN user for some time.

Yesterday I spotted the US Qobuz free trial (then USD14.99 / mth) and signed up using Nord US-connectivity, however it seems that my PayPal payment method gets rejected through recognition of an Aussie CC. That results in Qobuz files having a 30s playback limit. Any advice on how to solve?

Good question 

Mine is paid directly via CC, not on PayPal... could be the Aussie PayPal?

Perhaps not all CC providers are signed up to some sort of CC identifier? (Visa and MasterCard as facilitators should all be the same anyway?).

Not much help I’m afraid :/

Thanks anyway. I tried the direct CC payment method too, still no luck. Funny thing was that when I first attempted signing up yesterday everything seemed to go fine re payment acceptance, however I came up against the 30s playback limit when streaming from Lightning DS using my Aries, so I knew something was up.

I’ll try signing up with US PayPal directly.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, lenticularis said:

Thanks anyway. I tried the direct CC payment method too, still no luck. Funny thing was that when I first attempted signing up yesterday everything seemed to go fine re payment acceptance, however I came up against the 30s playback limit when streaming from Lightning DS using my Aries, so I knew something was up.

I signed up “in the UK”... not sure if that may help?

I’m using a NAD c658, and a bluesound Node2 (both Blueos) in case that’s an issue.

Edited by furtherpale
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lenticularis said:

I had the same issue when using PayPal to pay at the signup stage, but my Aussie CC worked fine.

• Like 1