sir sanders zingmore

NBN recommendation

Apologies if there is already a thread on this….

We finally need to move over to NBN (we have until end of Jan I think). Just wondering who are the better providers?

cheers 

:popcorn:

Have been researching this as well.

Excellent question and one I am pondering right now.   Currently I have Optus Cable  with 100mb plan.  Optus NBN has alot of utter utter shite reviews.

Been looking into Superloop NBN.  Superb reviews.  Contacted them today to have a chat.  Got a real Australian lass in Sth Aust on the phone and she was brilliant.   No bells and whistles with Superloop, just the NBN.  Their Unlimited 100/40 plan $90 month.  first 6 months at $70 per month if you sign up before Dec 31st.   No contract.  No start up costs.     All reviews have customers getting 90+ MB DL at evening peaks.    I will be on HFC to my property.

We have been considering doing away with the landline for awhile so good excuse to give it the flick with Optus.   My wife has mobile with Optus so that should let me keep the Optus email address I have had for years and years.

Superloop advise that your router have EWan input, which my Netgear N750 does.  

Seriously considering them.

Regards Cazzesman

No complaints with Aussie Broadband.

Got me up and running with a 10 minute visit.

Will check ABB. 

Another question. I currently have cable broadband with Telstra, will NBN still come in via the same physical connection (is that called HFC? I’m just learning this new language :) ). 

And can I still use my existing cable modem?

ABB by a country mile.

Fantastic customer service and all their sales and support staff are Australian based.

Aussie Broadband, they have been great with no issues at all.

I've been with Internode for a goodly number of years. Good prices , great Australian service and they've won "the best" several times. Never had an issue.

1 hour ago, Sir Suspended Zingmore said:

Will check ABB. 

Another question. I currently have cable broadband with Telstra, will NBN still come in via the same physical connection (is that called HFC? I’m just learning this new language :) ). 

And can I still use my existing cable modem?

I think you probably have answers now, but just in case. My understanding is:

• The existing Telstra broadband cable from the street to your house will be used if it's serviceable (and yes it's called an HFC connection).
  • Your existing Telstra cable modem can't be used.
  • The cabling inside your house to the wall point can be re-used if you're happy with the location and was installed by Telstra. This is your chance to get a new cable run to a different location in your house if you insist.
  • If you choose Telstra or Optus, they'll send you a new modem ahead of the date the NBN technician arrives to connect you. Some other ISPs will support modems from Netgear, ASUS, etc. if you already have one.
  • When the NBN technician arrives, they'll install a new NBN connection box to the wall point. Your modem connects to this new NBN connection box.
  • If you choose a phone service, this will need to connect to an outlet on the modem. I'm guessing this is one of the reasons Telstra and Optus provide a new modem. Their modems come pre-configured to work with their VoIP solutions and the phone is pretty much plug-and-play when connected to their modems. A friend chose TPG and his experience was exactly the same. He received a modem from TPG ahead of time and then just plugged his exiting phone into the phone point on the modem.

BTW, I've been an Optus cable modem customer for a long time and decided to move to Optus HFC NBN. My experience was very smooth and have been consistently measuring 47/18 day or night on their NBN 50 plan. I did experience an issue with the phone service, but their support was timely and effective in resolving it -- so not all horror stories with Optus.

Well i dont reccomend ***** iinet grrr

2 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Well i dont reccomend ***** iinet grrr

Why is that ... I have had good service from them.

15 minutes ago, MrC said:

Why is that ... I have had good service from them.

Been with them.20 odd years. But since they got sold to tpg service has gone downhill . Third outage in as many months now on day 11 without internert 

4 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Been with them.20 odd years. But since they got sold to tpg service has gone downhill . Third outage in as many months now on day 11 without internert 

What did they say was the problem?  Are other people in your street affected?

44 minutes ago, MrC said:

What did they say was the problem?  Are other people in your street affected?

Still working on it 

54 minutes ago, cafe67 said:

Still working on it 

What suburb are you in?

Another vote for Aussie Broadband. They do a bit of maintenance at midnight but that rarely bothers me and it's a lot less common than it used to be. They also have reasonable 'pay a year upfront for bonus' offers. The last one was pay for a year, get a month free which is may only be an 8% discount but that's better than it sitting in the bank and up there with some super funds. I'm sure someone on here could give you the signup code and save you $50 as well.

42 minutes ago, MrC said:

What suburb are you in?

Dianella

ok I am in Stirling.

5 hours ago, cafe67 said:

Dianella

I think it's worth checking the reputation of NBN providers both generally (eg, for customer service) and on a local level (eg, for their connection speed and reliability in your area). Facebook local groups often have discussion threads which can give you an idea of satisfaction levels with the different providers in your area. Of course, all the providers depend on the NBN setup so there are some locations where connections will be flaky, no matter who you go with ...

We ended up going with TPG and are happy. It also came with an Archer VR1600v modem/router (one of the better ones you can get via a provider, some of the default modems offered by providers are utter pieces of ****) - but I'm not sure how TPG perform in your area. 

Telstra was initially a tempting option because they offered a 4g backup system if the nbn went down - but then I read the reports of how bad and slow that 4g backup connection was. They also locked you into to larger upfront cost. It's better IMO to bump up your mobile phone data plan if need "insurance" and then have the freedom to walk and change providers if you don't like them.

@sir sanders zingmore  Just about to go with ABB and take the their modem offer and their slowest and cheapest plan, so will report back when connected. Just churned from iinet after years and years on a bundle with mobile and adsl+2. Churned to Boost and happy with the coverage so ABB is next.

Am due for NBN end of March and the letters from various ISPs are just starting to come in.  Been investigating ABB and came across this  CVC graphs

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/cvc-graphs/

Has anyone used Connectivity Virtual Circuit (CVC) graphs to determine which ISP to go with?  How many ISPs publish this?  

I got connected to the NBN yesterday.

When I got my first dialup account, the provider went belly-up and they sold my account to another provider, who they went bust and passed onto another small provider.  Went to ADSL, and the small company was hopeless, went bust and we were handballed again to another small provider, and this was repeated several time.  We were very dissatisfied with our current smaller provider (eg. disconnected after 5hrs of being in a help phone queue, they couldn't get email accounts working properly, couldn't get landline to be reliable, and more).  

So when it came to choosing a NBN provider we wanted to go with a big provider for reliability.  People I spoke with who were in my area (3130) spoke highly of TPG, so we went with them.  Contact with the sales team was good, they explained things well.  Connection went very smoothly with the nbn installer yesterday, and the supplied modem has been a plug+play dream.  Still waiting for the phone to move over. 

Tried to set up email, unsuccessfully.  They don't have faq's, only a search of their suppot forum.  Found the guide for my email client, and not able to get the password set.  Rang technical support, and got a message to say they were busy and for me to call back later - not a good first contact.  Rang back later, was able to get a call back within 50mins.  Spoke to the technician (Philippines?), who "escalated" my problem to the email team, who have arranged to call me back tomorrow.  And I just asked that they walk me through the process to set up an email account, as I'm obviously doing something wrong by not understanding the input fields.  Users I spoke to said their experience of TPG support was excellent, which contributed to me going with them.   It's too early for me to pass judgement on how good or bad their service is, but am sharing my initial experience. 

And speeds?  We selected the middle-band plan.  Measured 43.7mbs download and 19 upload (quite satisfactory).  Tried watching Netflix in the evening (was anticipating high-def resolution and flawless playback), and gave up on the movie due to long pauses to download the content.  Checked the download speed, decreased from >40mbps in the afternoon to 11mbps in the evening.  Not happy, but am assuming this is due to to the crap implementation of the nbn that politicians pushed for, rather than TPG's fault.  By midnight the bandwith returned to ~40mbs.

17 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

Not happy, but am assuming this is due to to the crap implementation of the nbn that politicians pushed for, rather than TPG's fault.  By midnight the bandwith returned to ~40mbs.

Why?  Morelikely TPG have not purchased sufficient bandwidth to cope with the load

Just now, aussievintage said:

Why?  Morelikely TPG have not purchased sufficient bandwidth to cope with the load

Thanks for the clarification.  I was hoping this wouldn't be the case, but my knowledge isn't extensive on this.  Does this give me any course of action to rectify this situation with TPG? I'm locked into them for 18months.