Kanye or not Kanye?

On 30/10/2019 at 10:26 AM, metal beat said:

Kanye West's new album - Jesus Is King.   

I was thinking of getting my creative juices flowing and playing some Diana Krall or Vanessa Fernandez cover albums O.o.  But no, I took the easy way out and decided top listen to a rather unknown singer songwriter called Kanye :P     

Outside of the first track, the album is rather excellent, assuming one can take all the bible bashing lyrics with a large dose of salts.   Much like his last two albums, a few of the songs jus end too damn quickly.      4/5 - excellent album - can't wait for the album on vinyl.

Image result for jesus is king

I hear that Kanye has talent. I also hear he's cocksure and has been drinking the Kool-Aid for some time.

Can you perhaps advise if he was worthwhile listening to, ever?

Has he always been blowing figurative smoke up his own butt?

5 hours ago, Uncle Seth said:

I hear that Kanye has talent. I also hear he's cocksure and has been drinking the Kool-Aid for some time.

Can you perhaps advise if he was worthwhile listening to, ever?

Has he always been blowing figurative smoke up his own butt?

If one actually takes the time to listen to Kanye, you can perhaps answer for yourself 

As trying to be a smartass an't working.

But then again negativity is so much easier as it takes less of everything to master. 

Much like Kanye, I could give a flying fccuk what you think as a closed mind is exactly that. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, metal beat said:

If one actually takes the time to listen to Kanye, you can perhaps answer for yourself 

As trying to be a smartass an't working.

But then again negativity is so much easier as it takes less of everything to master. 

Much like Kanye, I could give a flying fccuk what you think as a closed mind is exactly that. 

My apology goes out to you and Kanye. if that's any consolation.

I may have been receiving (strong) advice from biased sources, and assure you that my mind is not finalised on this matter.

Where can I try before I buy, if listening is the answer you recommend?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Seth said:

My apology goes out to you and Kanye. if that's any consolation.

I may have been receiving (strong) advice from biased sources, and assure you that my mind is not finalised on this matter.

Where can I try before I buy, if listening is the answer you recommend?

Wow, a Kanye West discussion.....I'm in!?

Well, FWIW, my mind is made up.....it matters little to me if Kanye has talent or not.....some say he is a genius (especially Mr West himself!), personally I am in the opposing camp but the thing for me is, I don't want to listen to the music of people I find impossible to respect as humans.....therefore I don't give Kanye the time of day. He is an egotistical jerk and that cannot be denied and the fact that he''s a 'Trumper' should be enough for most to simply ignore this apparent 'genius'. I haven't heard one track from Kanye that evokes thoughts of genius.....I'm just left struggling to keep my food down to be honest.

It's a personal thing, this moral approach to music and to those who make it ( admittedly, made easier in this case, by the fact that I just don't like his style of 'music'), so obviously, to those who choose to give Kanye the attention (and money) he and his useless 'no talent' wife crave......well, it's your right to do so and good luck to you all.....as it is my right to ignore this numpty.

Apologies if my post offends but I have strong feelings when it comes to Mr West and his 'music', his questionable morals and his self serving attitude to life but that's just me.?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, stevoz said:

Wow, a Kanye West discussion.....I'm in!?

Well, FWIW, my mind is made up.....it matters little to me if Kanye has talent or not.....some say he is a genius (especially Mr West himself!), personally I am in the opposing camp but the thing for me is, I don't want to listen to the music of people I find impossible to respect as humans.....therefore I don't give Kanye the time of day. He is an egotistical jerk and that cannot be denied and the fact that he''s a 'Trumper' should be enough for most to simply ignore this apparent 'genius'. I haven't heard one track from Kanye that evokes thoughts of genius.....I'm just left struggling to keep my food down to be honest.

It's a personal thing, this moral approach to music and to those who make it ( admittedly, made easier in this case, by the fact that I just don't like his style of 'music'), so obviously, to those who choose to give Kanye the attention (and money) he and his useless 'no talent' wife crave......well, it's your right to do so and good luck to you all.....as it is my right to ignore this numpty.

Apologies if my post offends but I have strong feelings when it comes to Mr West and his 'music', his questionable morals and his self serving attitude to life but that's just me.?

LOL Steve

Nice to see game the ability to seperate the man from the music - not.

What albums that you listened to did you not like?

What do you think of artists like Michael Jackson, Gary Glitter, Jerry Lee Lewis, Rolf Harris as their personal life is good enough for them to root in jail.

All you Kanye haters just make me like him more, although as you said,  he is no genuis, just a good singer songwriter. 

@metal beat It pleases me when others are happy so I gladly accept that I may have made you like him even more, that's cool....and you make a fair point regarding the other artists, all largely ignored by me for the same reasons you state, except MJ, whose music I mostly liked but whose now largely confirmed deplorable behaviour has me wrestling with my willingness to play my only MJ album Thriller......I certainly do not hold that album in the same revered status that I used to.?

In regard to Kanye albums that I've heard and didn't like.....you've got me there. Due to the reasons stated in my first post, I have largely ignored his music but know from what I have heard that it is doubtful I would find anything he does worth persisting with. I may well be missing out due to my stubborn attitude but I seriously doubt it. He just doesn't do it for me on so many levels.....?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, metal beat said:

LOL Steve

Nice to see game the ability to seperate the man from the music - not.

What albums that you listened to did you not like?

What do you think of artists like Michael Jackson, Gary Glitter, Jerry Lee Lewis, Rolf Harris as their personal life is good enough for them to root in jail.

All you Kanye haters just make me like him more, although as you said,  he is no genuis, just a good singer songwriter. 

A good singer he ain't

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Uncle Seth said:

Elvis started seeing Priscilla at age 14, iirc. Jim Morrison was a real troublemaker, and liked to mimic masturbation (I read). GG Allin used to play with his "bits" onstage and defecate there too.

In my opinion, it does not diminish their musical contributions. Nor is the music any level of justification for other disturbing aberrations in behaviour.

Countless other examples could be provided, I'm sure, but this gets me no closer to my answer.

I agree.   That was my point with Steve.

Only way you can get your answer is to listen to some Kanye albums and at least make an informed decision on whether you still hate his music or not. 

Dark Twisted Fantasy , Graduation,  Ye, Yeezus and 808s are good places to start

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, metal beat said:

I agree.   That was my point with Steve.

Only way you can get your answer is to listen to some Kanye albums and at least make an informed decision on whether you still hate his music or not. 

Dark Twisted Fantasy , Graduation,  Ye, Yeezus and 808s are good places to start

OK. I'm off to youtube to find out (when Bob finishes).....will report back.?

Edited by stevoz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, metal beat said:

Yeah, I haven't been able to listen to any of them. Personally, I can't seperate the person from their music. I don't expect anyone to be perfect, but we'll all draw a line somewhere

• Like 2

2 hours ago, metal beat said:

And lots of beatings i would think.?

57 minutes ago, metal beat said:

Don't watch the videos,  just listen. 

It will take more than one listen thou. 

I think one 'flick through' listen was enough and I have to say "There's an hour of my life that I will never get back."?

Seriously though, I'll admit that I'm starting from a pretty prejudiced place here as, while I have liked some examples of the following, 1: I have never liked 'rapping' or respected rap as a truly worthy music genre, 2: I have never really respected a lot of R&B as challenging musically and 3: I don't usually like drum machines and I hate auto tuned vocals.....so Kanye growing on me was always going to be pushing the proverbial uphill.

With Kanye, I occasionally hear what to me, approaches musicality and rhythm, then Kanye starts rapping or 'singing' again and suddenly I'm "meh". I can see why those who like these genre's think he is great but I am hearing a lot of repetition and sameness, with either subtle or overblown changes here and there that don't always make sense to me. It's just not my thing I guess......

I read on wiki that "West is among the most critically acclaimed musicians of the 21st century and one of the best-selling music artists of all time with over 140 million records sold worldwide.[5] He has won a total of 21 Grammy Awards, making him one of the most awarded artists of all time and the most Grammy-awarded artist of his generation." I knew most of that but I am gobsmacked none the less and see this as a prime example of how 'hype' can over reward the average.....and I suspect a lot of people buy his records from a FOMO stand point (but not you MB).

A harsh assumption and an overly rigid attitude? To be honest, probably.....but sorry, I just can't warm to Kanye's music.?

• Thanks 1

On 30/10/2019 at 10:26 AM, metal beat said:

Kanye West's new album - Jesus Is King.   

I was thinking of getting my creative juices flowing and playing some Diana Krall or Vanessa Fernandez cover albums O.o.  But no, I took the easy way out and decided top listen to a rather unknown singer songwriter called Kanye :P     

Outside of the first track, the album is rather excellent, assuming one can take all the bible bashing lyrics with a large dose of salts.   Much like his last two albums, a few of the songs jus end too damn quickly.      4/5 - excellent album - can't wait for the album on vinyl.

Image result for jesus is king

I didn’t realise He was so unpopular

I’m not a fan his politics negates any possibility of that?

But he certainly gets good reviews

But if you want to listen to religious songs that don’t need to be taken with a mouthful of salt here’s a few

i know hundreds?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

This would be a good topic to explore further in it's own thread, should anyone choose to do so (respectfully, of course). Perhaps we could keep this thread back on the topic of currently spinning

Can you move those posts to a Kanye or not Kanye thread?

Or should I kick it off first?

11 minutes ago, proftournesol said:

This would be a good topic to explore further in it's own thread, should anyone choose to do so (respectfully, of course). Perhaps we could keep this thread back on the topic of currently spinning

Don’t you think I’m listening to those songs?

• Haha 1

This shall be a thread wherein a spirited debate may be held between advocates of Kanye and those who revile him? [Is there no middle ground?]

To move a thread or not to move it?

Whether it is nobler in the mind to make a clean start for a thread with a contentious (and some say contemptuous) topic: Which Kanye should I listen to, if any?

I stirred some interest by posting this in a "currently spinning" thread, choosing to piggyback off an esteemed alumnus' post of his currently spinning "Jesus is King" LP. Thus it begins.