Sign in to follow this  
Cardiiiii

Please Help Me Troubleshoot

So the strangest thing happened and I can't seem to figure out what went wrong.

I just moved into a new place and set up my system. Everything worked fine. And then I decided to swap the speaker cables as one was slightly longer than the other. When I swapped them around and played a song, sound came out of the left channel only and then went out and I thought I could smell something burn, no smoke. Everything was still on. I know it's not the streamer or the DAC as I can see the music still streaming and the DAC shows the bitrate. So my suspicion is it's the pre or power amp or the speakers (very unlikely). My streamer can act as a pre so I hooked it up to the power amp and still no sound, so that narrows it down to the power and speakers (which I still think is unlikely). 

Pre-amp is a Modwright Instruments LS100, I can see the tube (rectifier) glow through the grill, so it could be one or both of the other tubes inside. But strangely the power amp also comes on and I can see the green lights inside. So what on earth went wrong? Is it possible for amps to come on if the fuse or something else blew up? Everything is connected to a Isotek Aquarius which is fine. It's doing my head in, I don't have any other equipment to narrow down the problem. Any advice is much appreciated. 

Edited by Cardiiiii

I would check the speaker cable closely to see if there are any stray strands that could of shorted out the - & + terminals as you swapped out the cable . Assuming that they are not terminated with spades .

22 minutes ago, Paul56 said:

I would check the speaker cable closely to see if there are any stray strands that could of shorted out the - & + terminals as you swapped out the cable . Assuming that they are not terminated with spades .

They are spades, but assuming they werent, they could have shorted out the speakers or the power amp?

8 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

They are spades, but assuming they werent, they could have shorted out the speakers or the power amp?

Yes, most likely the power amp.

Never change speaker connections with your gear on.

Turn everything off at the wall. Wait 10 minutes (not sure of all of your gear but there may be a protection circuit that has triggered).

Turn back on.

If the problem persists, turn everything off and swap the left and right speaker cables. Does the problem shift?

If so, turn everything off and change the left and right outputs of the preamp to the power amp. Does the problem shift?

This procedure should tell you if it is an electronics problem or not and whether it is the preamp or power amp.

I suspect that you have a problem with your power amp.

Edited by Telecine

8 hours ago, Telecine said:

Yes, most likely the power amp.

Never change speaker connections with your gear on.

Turn everything off at the wall. Wait 10 minutes (not sure of all of your gear but there may be a protection circuit that has triggered).

Turn back on.

If the problem persists, turn everything off and swap the left and right speaker cables. Does the problem shift?

If so, turn everything off and change the left and right outputs of the preamp to the power amp. Does the problem shift?

This procedure should tell you if it is an electronics problem or not and whether it is the preamp or power amp.

I suspect that you have a problem with your power amp.

I unplugged everything this morning and will try your suggestion when I get home this evening. There is no sound at all from either channel but will swap out the speaker cables and RCAs. I'm pretty sure I smelled something burn so it looks like something must have burnt up inside.

Just a quick comment and warning that applies to tube amps 

In layman’s terms 

Never turn on a tube amp unless the speakers are connected 

The speakers essentially form a part of a tube amps circuit 

Agree, power amp is likely candidate.

Since one channel played solo before also failing suggests
amp not in protection (initially). Suspect failure in the
power supply.

What is the power amp, it may have separate supply (xfmr,,,)
for L&R channels, power supply can fail due to down stream short.
Suggest disconnect the power amp and lift the lid and look for
disolouration of resistors, post hi-res pix if in doubt

I will be taking the amp to Dallas Clarke this Saturday to be given the once over.

2 hours ago, Cardiiiii said:

I will be taking the amp to Dallas Clarke this Saturday to be given the once over.

Good luck with it . 🤔