Sign in to follow this  
OzJustin

Advice sought on screen size and options

Hi all

I've been using my BenQ W1070 projector on my existing wall for some time now and wanted to start investigating some proper budget screen options. I watch a combination of 16:9 TV content and 2.40:1 blu-ray content. Therein lies my complexity. My wall (see below image with dimensions - ignore the power points as I can live with them being hidden) allows me to produce a max width of 325cm for a 2.40:1 aspect ratio image with some overscan on the top/bottom. I have been able to live with this as it's generally black bars anyway and I love the larger 2.40:1 movie image filling my wall space. I then have to adjust my projector lense shift to be slightly smaller to fit a 16:9 aspect ratio image (max 180cm height) on my wall as otherwise the overscan top/bottom is too much. It seems that realistically the largest 16:9 aspect screen I can go will be a 130" which has roughly outer frame dimensions of 310cm x 185cm. I couldn't fit a 135"+ given my height limitations but I could fit a slightly wider screen than 130" if I wanted to maximise the viewing space for my 2.40:1 content. I'm obviously not interested in going a cinemascope screen given I still watch a fair bit of 16:9 content.

Based on my measurements it seems I will be limited to a 130" 16:9 screen and I'll just have to deal with losing a bit of width when watching my 2.40:1 blu-rays. I suppose the only alternative is making a custom size frame with some screen paint. Thoughts on my size options?

136309531_ViewingWall1withdimensions.thumb.jpg.a9ba36fad9e1945ad849c088a541330f.jpg

I was leaning towards one of these two screens. Is anyone aware of the quality differences? Thoughts? Suitable for 4K content should I upgrade projectors in the future? I assume I should detect a noticeable image improvement with even this lower quality screen material compared with my current beige wall? I will eventually paint the walls and ceiling a dark matte colour so presume a 1.1 gain screen will be suitable.

WWW.SELBY.COM.AU

• High quality construction • Twin-layered material • Light-absorbing flocked velvet frame • Cleanable, mould-resistant fabric

Edited by OzJustin

Oj if width limited 16:9 is usually best option

with screen size though. It seems to be compromising where centre speaker ended up ? Rather than firing at toes :) would want to have it set far higher up closer to ear level. Even chest level is better :)

also I imagine going 130 inch would end up a softer looking picture ? Also loose light punch get tad smaller and additional sharpness brings too ?

Usually  with size Work back from viewing distance ? Though don’t know what that is here :) especially if considering 4K going too big will make harder to get bright enough for uhd and HDR :)

10 minutes ago, betty boop said:

Oj if width limited 16:9 is usually best option

with screen size though. It seems to be compromising where centre speaker ended up ? Rather than firing at toes :) would want to have it set far higher up closer to ear level. Even chest level is better :)

also I imagine going 130 inch would end up a softer looking picture ? Also loose light punch get tad smaller and additional sharpness brings too ?

Usually  with size Work back from viewing distance ? Though don’t know what that is here :) especially if considering 4K going too big will make harder to get bright enough for uhd and HDR :)

Viewing distance is approx 4m away. I've been running with the centre speaker quite low like that for some time and it's never been a problem. I think the photo isn't doing it justice. My couch is quite low so slightly tilting the centre speaker results in a reasonable listening angle. I would have to substantially reduce my screen size to put the centre speaker on a proper stand so that's never really been on my radar. Max screen size and immersion is my preference!

I still have some lense shift on my projector at 4m so could move the projector forward if I needed to so that sharpness is improved.

6 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Viewing distance is approx 4m away. I've been running with the centre speaker quite low like that for some time and it's never been a problem. I think the photo isn't doing it justice. My couch is quite low so slightly tilting the centre speaker results in a reasonable listening angle. I would have to substantially reduce my screen size to put the centre speaker on a proper stand so that's never really been on my radar. Max screen size and immersion is my preference!

I still have some lense shift on my projector at 4m so could move the projector forward if I needed to so that sharpness is improved.

hi oz, dont get me wrong, see why i asked what viewing distance you are as that what is best to work back from for screen size. at 4m you are bang on thx spec for immersion for a 16:9 130" screen. its always about size vs distance. if you are sitting any closer it would be all a bit too much and also looking a bit soft. re soft vs sharper as you get bigger in screen size you do loose sharpness. moving the projector closer doesnt change that as you will just zoom to same size screen :) give it a try some time zooming in and out but ofcourse it impacts immersion - its just a balance of things and finding whats best for you ... which seems to be what want and if happy i wouldnt change that aspect. ps mentioned 4k ... at 4m you will well and truly over resolve 1080p and hence most definitely get gains with 4k :) 

however re the centre I know you say not an issue... however think of it this way with a screen pretty much the size of wall. you will in your lounge room with shots of people standing full length talking... have someone in the lounge room being projected ... larger than life is almost their head top of ceiling but because the centre speaker is at the floor their voice will be coming from their toes ! :D yes can angle but there is not much can do about that but move the centre speaker up...

its why with getting in larger screens in larger theatres including commercial ones they go to acoustic transparent screens and that ways you can lock the people speaking and sound on the screen where should be. if looking at getting a screen maybe now is time to consider that and go an acoustically transparent option. it doesnt HAVE to cost the earth. ask someone like @muriwai he went the diy option him self. then its just cost of material and putting together with material bought in. i havent seen muri's setup but am sure its awesome and its just kind of approach maybe worth considering

ps this is really for larger screens with quite smaller ones eg screen height over  1m+ but not any where near height of room you down necessarily see this as these screens can have centre speaker a lot closer to ears and imagine on screen is not so far in height to the speaker. still if can go AT screen go for it ... you can still go all the speakers you have ... just add screen :) 

7 hours ago, OzJustin said:

it's never been a problem.

It will likely sound much better though.

slight subject change but sort of related.. you mentioned painting walls etc. having owned a w1070 you can give the perception of a better PQ with some colour change.

a flat black paint can be used to "box" 2meters out from screen on side walls and ceiling, also screen wall painted. then usually you could contrast the rest of the room with say a deep red wine/blue colour also in flat. the carpet colour is unfortunate though and may be hard to "match" so possibly deep browns for walls etc could be considered. perhaps a dark, large rug at the front might help.

i feel up to a 10% perceived improvement can be achieved.

as for the AT screen, if you have wooden frame walls and not solid brick its a no brainer, give it a try especially with a large screen to wall ratio.

Thanks for the thoughts all. I hadn’t really considered an acoustically transparent (AT) screen up to this point but will give it some thought. I think my problem will be that the wall I’m projecting onto backs onto an exterior house wall (timber framed). I would have to embed the centre speaker in the wall but could probably only recess it about 10cm into the wall space. The screen would then be sitting about 30cm out from the wall and could even block my AIr-Con flow. Not sure how to get around that.

Any recommendations for AT screens? I see Majestic and Encore seem to make one. Keep in mind that this is a budget theatre so spending $1-2k on a screen doesn’t make sense as it would be twice the value of my current projector.

WWW.SELBY.COM.AU

Coming Soon - Enquire now! For a True Cinematic Experience Place your home theatre speakers behind the...

I will also be painting the whole room in dark matte colours down the track and will probably end up replacing the worn carpet for dark grey. This will still probably be some way down the road though. I could paint just the screen wall for now.

agree about the screen vs pj etc, i am hoping for one down the track but it must be diy due to cost.

oh well the paint will help with that pj anyway. make sure you look for a flat paint as it (usually is 0-5% gloss) while matte is usually 5-10% ( from readings) however some makers mix things up.

you can contact christos in adelaide at Astec Paints at 22-24 Pinn Street St Marys.. 0422845797 they have retail outlets in other states. SNA members get a discount

another very good rated paint is from Rosco. it comes in a concentrated form that you mix with water.

Supersaturated Roscopaint and the colour is Black Velvet #6003.
Rosco Australia Pty Limited
42 Sawyer Lane, Artarmon NSW 2064
(02) 9906 6262

14 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Thanks for the thoughts all. I hadn’t really considered an acoustically transparent (AT) screen up to this point but will give it some thought. I think my problem will be that the wall I’m projecting onto backs onto an exterior house wall (timber framed). I would have to embed the centre speaker in the wall but could probably only recess it about 10cm into the wall space. The screen would then be sitting about 30cm out from the wall and could even block my AIr-Con flow. Not sure how to get around that.

wouldnt embed centre in wall and all. just wall mount centre. build a baffle wall with AT screen. this is pretty simple construction. just have the air con built in the top of it. again not a big deal it just comes forward a tad. not hard to do :) 

14 hours ago, OzJustin said:

Any recommendations for AT screens? I see Majestic and Encore seem to make one. Keep in mind that this is a budget theatre so spending $1-2k on a screen doesn’t make sense as it would be twice the value of my current projector.

was hoping @muriwai would step forward to suggest as somethign he has done with some sucess and am pretty sure. not seen his setup but sounds very much like what would like work in yours.

wiht regards screens... keep in mind what ever projector have now quite likely might not have in a few years time. I dont upgrade my projector every year or so or anything more like 3-4 years or so these days and still my screen has seen and gone some 5 projectors already ! so keep in mind what ever do screen wise you are likely to get your moneys worth over many years to come ! 

Thanks Betty Boop. Good advice.

I’m wondering whether I go for the Selby 130” screen and persevere with my centre speaker placement for now. I might even make a timber tilted base to get the angle as perfect as possible for now. Then if I decide to build a baffle wall later I gather it wouldn’t be too hard to order some AT screen fabric and mount it to my existing frame. Guess it depends on the mounting style for the frame? Has anyone else retrofitted fabric onto an existing metal frame?

I see Oz Theatre screens do an AT 4K fabric. Not sure if that is more expensive than their normal 4K fabric which looks to be about $600 for the 3.5m x 2m that I’d need.

WWW.PROJECTORSCREENS.COM.AU

The Majestic fixed frame projector screen by Oz Theatre Screens

My screen size limitation looks like it will be 130” whatever screen material etc I go..

think you will find many people would love to be stuck with a 130" screen :-)

wedges from bunnings to test the speaker elevation.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=door%20wedge&sort=BoostOrder&pageSize=60

i know a guy did a diy using the aluminium frame usually used on large screen doors. then used the same method to attach the flyscreen, with a roller, rubber tubing and push into the track. i did the same with a 92" screen build long ago.

metal bought screens i dont know, usually springs? anyway would think there is a simple solution to the modification.

On 28/11/2019 at 12:56 PM, hopefullguy said:

think you will find many people would love to be stuck with a 130" screen 🙂

wedges from bunnings to test the speaker elevation.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/search/products?page=1&q=door wedge&sort=BoostOrder&pageSize=60

i know a guy did a diy using the aluminium frame usually used on large screen doors. then used the same method to attach the flyscreen, with a roller, rubber tubing and push into the track. i did the same with a 92" screen build long ago.

metal bought screens i dont know, usually springs? anyway would think there is a simple solution to the modification.

Yes my response probably came across wrong. 130” will be fantastic but I will be moving to a slightly smaller image than I’m currently getting projecting directly onto my wall.

I ended up ordering the Selby 130” fixed frame screen. The new Encore AT screen was a little too expensive for my purpose. I may investigate retrofitting some AT fabric onto my Selby frame down the track. The real sticking point is my centre speaker (VAF DC-6) which is 42cm deep. I may have to consider something in-wall like a Krix Symmetrix which should fit in an 80mm wall cavity. It’s a shame that VAF don’t seem to offer a similar in-wall speaker as my front soundstage then won’t be timbre-matched. The Krix would allow me to perfectly position my centre speaker without needing a baffle wall and having to shrink my room depth though.

5 minutes ago, OzJustin said:

Yes my response probably came across wrong. 130” will be fantastic but I will be moving to a slightly smaller image than I’m currently getting projecting directly onto my wall.

I ended up ordering the Selby 130” fixed frame screen. The new Encore AT screen was a little too expensive for my purpose. I may investigate retrofitting some AT fabric onto my Selby frame down the track. The real sticking point is my centre speaker (VAF DC-6) which is 42cm deep. I may have to consider something in-wall like a Krix Symmetrix which should fit in an 80mm wall cavity. It’s a shame that VAF don’t seem to offer a similar in-wall speaker as my front soundstage then won’t be timbre-matched. The Krix would allow me to perfectly position my centre speaker without needing a baffle wall and having to shrink my room depth though.

i am not sure why want to go in wall. will just cost more and likely not as good performance for the money. most folk for AT screens just use conventional speakers behind the AT screen :) usually with the speakers just on stands or shelves.

23 minutes ago, betty boop said:

i am not sure why want to go in wall. will just cost more and likely not as good performance for the money. most folk for AT screens just use conventional speakers behind the AT screen :) usually with the speakers just on stands or shelves.

The in-wall option appeals to me as my existing wall is not particularly straight-forward to put a baffle in front of .e.g. because of the air-con, fuse box etc that would be a pain to relocate. If it’s building a new baffle wall and all the associated hassle or just going with one in-wall speaker, I think I’d choose the latter. Cheaper, much simpler and less space lost. Only the timbre-matching as a downside. :) 

Just wanted to update this thread with my revised setup. I have now installed the 130" Selby fixed frame screen and am very happy with it. Excellent service from Selby Acoustics too.

The image on the screen is substantially better than projecting directly onto my wall. I had not noticed before but my image had a noticeable yellow undertone prior. Images are now much more crisp, vibrant and realistic, particularly blues. I've also painted my feature wall in a custom dark grey colour. I ended up using the British Paints 'Matt' black interior paint and had it mixed to make a custom version of the Dulux colour 'Domino'.

I also went to Bunnings and got some large door chocks (combined height of 100mm high) and painted them black. My centre speaker is now perfected tilted for my seating position and the sound/movie dialogue is improved.

Very happy with this updated setup. Next up will be to paint the rest of the room, replace carpet etc. :)

LHGy682.jpg

eiDpC4M.jpg

thats great, glad its all working better now.

if you dont want a room fully painted "dark"you could "box" the front of the room with that dark paint. ie: paint the ceiling and left wall out to the same distance as the curtain on the right. then the rest of the room in a deeper contrast paint such as a deep red wine/blue style. anyway plenty of ideas on the net.

so just past the door would be dark and where the dark colour meets the contrast you could attach (wall/ceiling) some skirting wood to give the physical look of a boxed border. this should help even more with the picture.

anyway just an idea.