Sign in to follow this  
Gieseler Audio

GIESELER 18v 4A 72W NUC Linear low noise PSU.

I have had quite a few enquiries about a suitable linear PSU for i5/i7 NUC's but up until now have not been able to come up with anything due to the higher voltage/current requirements. This is a brand new design that should fit the bill. It uses a unusual "active bridge rectifier" which improves efficiency quite a bit for a linear design. The other advantage is diode switching noise is almost nonexistent. The reason for this is the normal diodes are replaced with super low on resistance 90A Trench Mosfets that are switched on during the "0v" part of the incoming AC sign wave. This control switching  is performed by a Linear Technology active bridge controller. The bottom line is you end up with a very efficient bridge rectifier with almost no switching noise at all. The regulator is a new discreet design using a high current 82A Toshiba Mosfet controlled with a voltage reference. I have also added short circuit protection which is unusual for a discreet design. Power is provided by an Australia approved Tortech 17v 5A external transformer. Main filter capacitance is 26,800 uf of Nichicon

Gold Tune caps which is the same as the  Kraftwerk 12v 4A Gold Tune series. Noise level is extremely  low &  similar to a Kraftwerk 12v 4A Gold Tune.

Output is 18v at a maximum current of 4A.

Cost is $500 which includes Express Post delivery. One unit in stock with a lead time of about 4/5 days for more orders.

IMG_0366.thumb.JPG.e27401e943bc0dc4bc10af998e2cd4c6.JPGIMG_0349.thumb.JPG.079c19de99604930c57f488644f980df.JPGIMG_0357.thumb.JPG.3728a0eddd67191007be68076be9f551.JPGIMG_0358.thumb.JPG.659ed9eb4d55a1aae66e0af3350740d2.JPG

Very impressive to listen and make this. 

I'd imagine you'd have a huge customer base for this if you can adapt it for the foreign market. 

Maybe a different enclosure? 

Nice work Clay - live your knowledge and passion. !!

AJ

Thanks guys.

I forgot to mention I’m using the Mosfet in a “source follower” configuration & with some compensation

so it ends up with extremely low output impedance over a wide bandwidth.

At 18v output with no load & then at 4A load the voltage drops by less than 100mv.

I will post some measurement photos tomorrow.

The next step is to actually power a DAC with it & see it sounds.

With the on board trimmer the voltage can be set from 12v to about 18.5v to suit the application.