Yamaha amp lacking Low end

I have a Yamaha A-S201 amp that is rated to 100wpc and when I hook this up to my MA Bronze 6 speakers I lack the low end. I have hooked my speakers up to a 65wpc Rotel and have got the low end I require now but I am going to use the Yamaha for another setup but this time with bookshelves. I have read reviews about the Yamaha and one says it lacks low end whilst the other suggested it punches nicely. I do not want to add a sub to the setup and I understand that bookshelves will be less low end again. I have to turn the bass tone pretty much all the way up to get any half desirable result. 
Is there perhaps something wrong with my amp that I can get checked or can look for?

Or has anyone experienced this amp and have the same results?
I will check out having its own wall plug for power and my speaker cables are decent wire bought from a Hifi shop. I can also try my speaker placement. 
Is there any other things I can do to maximise my level of enjoyment?

Hi Pac—man,

Have you consider speaker cable for troublebshooting? If you have long speaker cables this can impact system performance. Also worth trying a different set if you have on hand. I found this can make a significant difference in low end output.

some reviews state, not overabundant bass, and amp not over reaching itself, i find it hard to believe that the MA's lack bass, i have MA RS6's amazing bass, the Bronze 6 = 34 - 30khz( RS6 38 - 30khz), 8ohm (6ohm) 90db/w/m(91bd/w/m), so the bronze should provide an easier load on your amp, the placement of the speakers could be a big influence, not sure of your room size, mine is not ideal at 4 x 4.5 m but still plenty of bass, using an Exposure 2010 50wpc, or Quasimodo 40wpc and currently an Elekit TU-8200 8wpc tube amp, still lots of bass?

Guest jakeyb77

Basing an amplifier on its wattage is no measure of its overall performance. 
Nor is the value of one amplifier manufacturer’s claim relative to another’s. 

@jakeyb77, agree totally, the only measure of performance is the sound you hear using the same speakers, which as we all know is subject to the individual listening

7 minutes ago, jakeyb77 said:

Basing an amplifier on its wattage is no measure of its overall performance. 
Nor is the value of one amplifier manufacturer’s claim relative to another’s. 

This is true. Even before we get to the real life performance, let alone differences in measurement methodologies, on paper the specs given aren't apples to apples.

Yamaha like to make everything look as if it's 100wpc, but only their higher end products achieve this in the stricter sense. The A-S201s alleged 100w is at 40Hz - 20kHz 8ohms with 0.2% THD (versus the  20Hz and <0.08% given in most honest specifications). That is bad faith specification massaging, plain and simple. It's quite possible that the Rotel has more clean power than the Yamaha. 

Having said all that, it doesn't seem like that should be the cause of your issue, as MA Bronzes are easy to power and have oodles of bass. After checking the cable polarity I would also check the jumpers on the speaker terminals, in case one has come loose. 

Guest jakeyb77

The A-S range of Yamaha has left me wanting in all areas. Even the A-S3000 was very underwhelming. 
I would say that bass control wouldn’t be its forte in the likes of the 201. 
Not sure which Rotel you have, and I’m not really a fan of the Rotel “sound”, (that’s just my taste, not about down) however they are built very well and usually have very solid power to handle bass. 
Firstly check the issues others have suggested. If you plan to move the Yamaha to another system then it may just work with different speakers. 
Can only tell by trying and listening. 

Personally using many Yamaha amps and AV receivers I have found the cheaper ones are definitely lacking in punch,  and overall dynamics.    This may be why your bass sounds thin, but even at low wattage levels I would have though the MAs would still produce decent bass,  albeit a bit uncontrolled with a lower model amp.

Found in the RX-V / RX-A range you need to get into the 1XXX, models to get feeling of decent output, same with stereo models from 70X onward.  Mind you, their top tier stuff is definitely not lacking in any area.

Thanks for the replies everyone. 
Yes the MA’s have awesome levels of low end with other amps, in fact I tried them with an Accuphase 303 amp that I borrowed and I had to turn the bass down!

I understand the power of amps does not mean much, I dont know why I mentioned it honestly.  
I am not going to spend any money on speaker cables as the ones I had in there were of sufficient gauge and length was only 3 meters. But I will make sure they are correct phase. 
I bought the amp second hand but was not that old and shouldn't have any dramas but you never know. Am I ruling out something wrong with the amp?

The Rotel has far more current than the Yamaha and is much more powerful in the real world. 

I wouldn't recommend matching Yamaha with Monitor Audio at all, but Rotel and Monitor Audio is a famous combo as they really bring out the best in each other.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/11/2019 at 6:38 PM, gparker777 said:

Hi Pac—man,

Have you consider speaker cable for troublebshooting? If you have long speaker cables this can impact system performance. Also worth trying a different set if you have on hand. I found this can make a significant difference in low end output.

Hi Gp,

well I sort of have to thank you but also not thank you. So while I got rid of the amp in question, I pulled the rotel out of my two channel main setup whilst I search for another amp and whilst it was better I was still not happy. After pulling the amp I now had some proper speaker cable and the sound got a-lot fuller and sounded different when I changed them from the pieces of string I was using. So for that I thank you but what I don't thank you for is taking me down another rabbit hole 🤣
Guess I am now looking for cables as well as these ones were short.