Winterspace

Windows 10 Activation problem. No help from microsoft.

53 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

This is terrible advice.

The foundations of all nearly all available operating systems (yes, you too Linux) are abysmal, and you should take every update you can get.

And your advice to purchase a leaked/pirated activation key was what? good advice :huh:

On 28/11/2019 at 12:37 PM, davewantsmoore said:

Just buy a key off ebay for like $10, or whatever it costs today.

55 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Yes, you can.... although it isn't a very neat solution.   If you really want to run Linux, then it's a way to have that windows app you might need once in a blue moon still available.

There is also WINE, which allows running Windows app right inside Linux ..... although not all apps work (typically only less advance/fancy ones).

In these days of fast SSD storage, virtual machines fire up extremely fast.  Also, the desktop integration of VM programs like Virtual Box, makes Windows appear to be running natively on the Linux desktop.

So actually quite neat and convenient.

20 hours ago, Winterspace said:

Interesting.  Another good suggestion. Can you run updates on win 7 or win 10 when running as a virtual machine on Linux Mint..

Yes you can. When running in Oracle Virtualbox, Windows (or whatever OS), is just like running on a normal machine.

19 hours ago, Muon N' said:

And your advice to purchase a leaked/pirated activation key was what? good advice :huh:

Typically keys being sold on ebay are very very (!!!!) rarely problematic.... and the problem is almost alway immediate (in which case, ebay/paypal, whichever payment provider you use, can likely assist you).

It is akin to buying toothpaste from the $2 shop, which was intended for the indonesian market (or wherever), but has been grey market imported into Australia.

There is "nothing wrong" with the product, and you as a consumer are not going to be punished by the manufacturer.  They key is not going to be "revoked", or any other ill effects  .... although the distributors, may find MS don't like it, as MS would prefer to collect the Australia tax.

19 hours ago, aussievintage said:

So actually quite neat and convenient.

Indeed... for me and you, sure.

For someone more "typical", I don't really agree.     For the odd program you want once in a blue moon, maybe for the average man.

Use Linux is often thrown in as a solution for the average-man, without appreciating the hurdle it really presents average people.  If the only issue it's solving is the cost of a windows license.... then it's not a good fix.

PS - Before you say - sure, there are other extensive benefits  (I've been running Linux desktops since last century) .... but for joe-normal, it's a stretch IMVHO.

14 minutes ago, davewantsmoore said:

Use Linux is often thrown in as a solution for the average-man, without appreciating the hurdle it really presents average people.  If the only issue it's solving is the cost of a windows license.... then it's not a good fix.

PS - Before you say - sure, there are other extensive benefits  (I've been running Linux desktops since last century) .... but for joe-normal, it's a stretch IMVHO.

No, instead I just want to say how much better is has become.  Case in point, my friend bought his wife a Linux Mintbox.  Small, fanless, running linux mint, and she loves it.  She had no problems adjusting to the slight differences, and even commented on how easy it all was.  She now  loves to tell us about her cute little mint machine.

What about installing/uninstalling drivers and programs, is it as easy as under windows?

Adding hardware?

1 hour ago, bob_m_54 said:

Exactly the same

Really?

They have made improvements since I visited then :thumb:

Edit: @bob_m_54 I do mean Mint, not windows under Mint.

Edited by Muon N'

I mean Windows under Linux Mint, running in Virtual Box

4 hours ago, aussievintage said:

No, instead I just want to say how much better is has become.  Case in point, my friend bought his wife a Linux Mintbox.  Small, fanless, running linux mint, and she loves it.  She had no problems adjusting to the slight differences, and even commented on how easy it all was.  She now  loves to tell us about her cute little mint machine.

If someone truly does not need any windows/mac software, then it can be great.

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

What about installing/uninstalling drivers and programs, is it as easy as under windows?

Typically easier .... although can be more complex.

2 hours ago, Muon N' said:

Adding hardware?

Depends strongly on the hardware.  If it's compatible... then it can be anything from simply plug and play, through to v. difficult.

Good onya Dave, now he's sheet scared of it LOL

My concern is how Musicbee & Foobar2000 in WASAPI exclusive mode would access the hardware.

Does running windows 10 in a virtual machine in Linux Mint bypass linux & directly access the hardware via its own driver or does it somehow get have to go through linux drivers.

To cut it short, would it sound exacty the same.

2 hours ago, Winterspace said:

My concern is how Musicbee & Foobar2000 in WASAPI exclusive mode would access the hardware.

Does running windows 10 in a virtual machine in Linux Mint bypass linux & directly access the hardware via its own driver or does it somehow get have to go through linux drivers.

To cut it short, would it sound exacty the same.

I have never found the need.  I was a Foobar fan too (and Musicbee).    But when I really sat and thought about it, there are so many really good alternatives in the linux world, that I stopped worrying about it. 

These days I rarely play from my PC  direct to the audio system.  I use Volumio on a raspberry pi, and also a chromecast audio. However, the mechanism behind Volumio (it runs a version of linux) is MPD https://www.musicpd.org/      so you could run that on your linux machine.

The sound quality of MPD running on linux is as good as it gets when playing via good hardware,  and there are so many GUI frontends.  I would just run something like MALP on my phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gateshipone.malp&hl=en_US

39 minutes ago, aussievintage said:

I have never found the need.  I was a Foobar fan too (and Musicbee).    But when I really sat and thought about it, there are so many really good alternatives in the linux world, that I stopped worrying about it. 

These days I rarely play from my PC  direct to the audio system.  I use Volumio on a raspberry pi, and also a chromecast audio. However, the mechanism behind Volumio (it runs a version of linux) is MPD https://www.musicpd.org/      so you could run that on your linux machine.

The sound quality of MPD running on linux is as good as it gets when playing via good hardware,  and there are so many GUI frontends.  I would just run something like MALP on my phone. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gateshipone.malp&hl=en_US

I have a similar setup, running Volumio on a rasberry pi  with the Allo Boss Dac after reading Darko's recomendation.

Also had the chromecast audio but sold it to an SNA member.

Thanks for tip on MPD. Will check it out running on linux when I get a chance.

17 hours ago, bob_m_54 said:

Good onya Dave, now he's sheet scared of it LOL

Not much change of that :D

I have always seen computer hardware/software issues as a challenge to be overcome at worst :party

Granted, I may not bother with a Linux distro if it looks like it will not meet my needs, if this aspect is clouded I'll look at it myself, I have plenty of spare drives.

If online activation of Windows 10 (or paid Office products) fails because your key has been used too many times, or you have upgraded your PC, here is how you get around it...

Do PHONE activation instead of online activation, but after submitting your code, the Microsoft automated phone system will detect the key has been used previously, and will then ask you "how many times has this key been installed on this or any other pc?"

Here you select 0.

If you say anything other than 0, it will take you to an operator, and they may deny you activation if you don't say the correct things. But if you fib and say 0, then the automated system will just proceed with activation.

The only time this does not work, is with the dodgy $5 keys found on ebay that have been sold to hundreds of users and activated hundreds of times. Eventually those keys are fully blacklisted by Microsoft, but even then they can still activate for months before being banned.

7 hours ago, agisthos said:

If online activation of Windows 10 (or paid Office products) fails because your key has been used too many times, or you have upgraded your PC, here is how you get around it...

Do PHONE activation instead of online activation, but after submitting your code, the Microsoft automated phone system will detect the key has been used previously, and will then ask you "how many times has this key been installed on this or any other pc?"

Here you select 0.

If you say anything other than 0, it will take you to an operator, and they may deny you activation if you don't say the correct things. But if you fib and say 0, then the automated system will just proceed with activation.

The only time this does not work, is with the dodgy $5 keys found on ebay that have been sold to hundreds of users and activated hundreds of times. Eventually those keys are fully blacklisted by Microsoft, but even then they can still activate for months before being banned.

I did phone activation the other day with Win 7 and when it got to that question I said '1' as I only ever used it on the one PC, proceeded no problem.

1 hour ago, Muon N' said:

I did phone activation the other day with Win 7 and when it got to that question I said '1' as I only ever used it on the one PC, proceeded no problem.

Oh yeah, 1 might be okay. 0 or 1, but don't say 2 (or more).

1 minute ago, agisthos said:

Oh yeah, 1 might be okay. 0 or 1, but don't say 2 (or more).

Yeah, 2 would be like shooting yourself in the nads :thumb:

Goodaye all

It's not the end of the world, just run Win7 until your PC dies, easy.

Then make the switch.

Keep your security software up to date and clean backups.

l use 10 at work and 7 at home, prefer 7.

l think MS are thinking everyone will ditch 7 and go onto 10 straight away, l think they will be in for a shock.

Looked at Mint but unfortunatly its a Windows world.

regards Bruce

On 04/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, Winterspace said:

This is exactly my point.

I don't want to make any one "scared" of it.  It wasn't my intention.  Linux is good.... but if you want to run Musicbee and Foobar2000 as one of your primary use cases, then run Windows.

A windows license is inexpensive, and IMVHO isn't the right reason to be seeing an alternate OS.   That being said there are many good reasons.... but if your primary use case for the computer is "run software which is available for windows only".... then run windows.

On 04/12/2019 at 8:02 AM, Winterspace said:

Does running windows 10 in a virtual machine in Linux Mint bypass linux & directly access the hardware via its own driver

It can do.  There are many caveats.   For you, the short answer is "no".

In conclusion, problem solved as noted earlier in this thread.

Since I managed to re-activate win 10, I have no problems now running Musicbee & foobar2000

fine.

However, I worked in the computer  industry for many years & love playing around with different

systems & configurations. Just had enough of Microsoft hardware activation issues.

So next time I have the urge to fiddle, will give Linux Mint a go.

Years ago spent a bit of time playing with Ubuntu, but apart from my Pi running Volumio have avoided Linux for a long time.

Thanks  to all who have given more ideas to play with.