Winterspace

Windows 10 Activation problem. No help from microsoft.

Just off the phone from a microsoft tech. Total waste of time.

A flat battery caused my win 10 license to deactivate.

Tried to reactivate, then ran the troubleshooter all to no avail.

Rang microsoft, only to be told I had lost my activation - an update from win 98 to win 7 to win 10 all paid

over the years for because I had changed my hardware ???

After telling him I should complain to Microsoft, he said don't bother, they wont do anything about it.

He said 'I should just purchase a new license,"  NOT likely.

It all there in fine print in the contact he said.

So much for customer service.

Will have to investigate linux or the like for a new music server.

One unhappy customer.

It is hard to get enthusiastic about spending money with companies that carry on like this!

Have a look at the following link - 

WWW.ZDNET.COM

Microsoft's much-hyped free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ended in 2016, right? Not exactly. The GWX tool may be gone, but all the other upgrade tools still work. The end result is an apparently...

I have followed this process a couple of times to reload Windows10 onto PC that had old licences, (which were updated to W10 during the upgrade period) but needed subsequent hard disk rebuilds.

Edited by mcb

Yeah, I just recently bought an OEM copy of 10 and then found out I could still use my windows 7 key to activate it.

Now back on 7 and have a copy of win 10 that I don't use and can't transfer to another PC, so can't sell or give it away.

On Win 7, I moved it yesterday to a different PC and as it is a different motherboard it wouldn't activate, so had to go the phone activation route which worked. I guess that is not an option with 10, or with one that follows the upgrade path..

MS sucks sometimes.

Edited by Muon N'
typos galore

1 hour ago, mcb said:

It is hard to get enthusiastic about spending money with companies that carry on like this!

Have a look at the following link - 

WWW.ZDNET.COM

Microsoft's much-hyped free upgrade offer for Windows 10 ended in 2016, right? Not exactly. The GWX tool may be gone, but all the other upgrade tools still work. The end result is an apparently...

I have followed this process a couple of times to reload Windows10 onto PC that had old licences , but needed hard disk rebuilds.

Thanks for the tip. Much appreciated. Tried keying in the license for win 7 ( a 3 user family upgrade ) before I upgraded to win 10 & much to my surprise it successfully activated. No thanks to microsoft support.

Now have to link all our win 10 licenses to their relevant microsoft digital accounts so this does not happen again.

Cheers.

4 hours ago, GregWormald said:

This illustrates how Microsoft pushes people to software piracy.🥴

And to LInux...

On 25/11/2019 at 3:37 PM, Winterspace said:

before I upgraded to win 10 & much to my surprise it successfully activated. No thanks to microsoft support.

Yeah... I was just coming into this thread to say there will be more than one way to get this working if you have paid upgrades/licenses.

Like all companies everywhere

... MS employ their fair share of incompetent people, who aren't really interested in applying much effort to assist you.

On 25/11/2019 at 4:09 PM, GregWormald said:

This illustrates how Microsoft pushes people to software piracy.🥴

They're just doing whatever they think will make them the most money.  They don't owe us anything more (or less).

Sometimes good comes from what is initially bad.

In fixing the activation problem, I found our two "3 license" family packs that microsoft sold at a reduced price for win 7 upgrades years ago.

One of them I had only used 2 of the licenses.

Was looking at purchasing a new win 10 license for a pc I had recently built.

Lo & behold, I keyed in the unused win 7 product code & within a couple of minutes had a fully licensed win 10 pc.

Saved me paying microsoft $160, all good.

I would have stuck with Win 7 unless it was a touch screen.

Those things still aren't cheap yet.

Unfortunately, win 7 support ceases end of next month, so no more patches.

Plus all the other PC's in the house are win 10 & supposedly win 10 with its ongoing development is going to be around for a long time.

Only if they make the update process subscription or something, they will find a way to replace that revenue that has come from each new windows version.

Edited by Muon N'
typo

On 27/11/2019 at 10:18 AM, Winterspace said:

Just buy a key off ebay for like $10, or whatever it costs today.

Edited by davewantsmoore

11 hours ago, Winterspace said:

Unfortunately, win 7 support ceases end of next month, so no more patches.

Plus all the other PC's in the house are win 10 & supposedly win 10 with its ongoing development is going to be around for a long time.

LOL!

That's what they said about 7!

You don't need updates anyway............................most of the time they are trouble.

On 27/11/2019 at 10:18 AM, Winterspace said:

Sometimes good comes from what is initially bad.

In fixing the activation problem, I found our two "3 license" family packs that microsoft sold at a reduced price for win 7 upgrades years ago.

One of them I had only used 2 of the licenses.

Was looking at purchasing a new win 10 license for a pc I had recently built.

Lo & behold, I keyed in the unused win 7 product code & within a couple of minutes had a fully licensed win 10 pc.

According to Woody that information is correct, upgrade to Windows 10 still available via Windows 7/8.1 product key.

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/born-heres-why-the-free-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10-still-works/

2 hours ago, soundbyte said:

According to Woody that information is correct, upgrade to Windows 10 still available via Windows 7/8.1 product key.

https://www.askwoody.com/2019/born-heres-why-the-free-upgrade-from-win7-to-win10-still-works/

Yes I saw that in my research, but until the activated PC message came up after keying in the win 7 key, was not confident it would work.

Relieved when it did.

Why put yourself through this pain. Linux Mint is free of all of these problems   

WWW.LINUXMINT.COM

Linux Mint is an elegant, easy to use, up to date and comfortable GNU/Linux desktop distribution.

can we say problem solved ? 

3 hours ago, stereo coffee said:

Why put yourself through this pain. Linux Mint is free of all of these problems   

WWW.LINUXMINT.COM

Linux Mint is an elegant, easy to use, up to date and comfortable GNU/Linux desktop distribution.

can we say problem solved ? 

Problem is solved ;)

I use Musicbee & Foobar2000 on a few pc's & neither run on linux.

Should another activation issue occur & not easily solved, definitely will be looking at linux.

On 01/12/2019 at 2:36 PM, Winterspace said:

Problem is solved ;)

I use Musicbee & Foobar2000 on a few pc's & neither run on linux.

Should another activation issue occur & not easily solved, definitely will be looking at linux.

Neither does MediaMonkey run on Linux. But I got around that by running windows 7, as virtual machine, on Linux Mint. Not too worried about imminent cessation of support, because that's about all it has to do as well as running EAC.

15 minutes ago, bob_m_54 said:

Neither does MediaMonkey run on Linux. But I got around that by running windows 7, as virtual machine, on Linux Mint. Not too worried about imminent cessation of support, because that's about all it has to do as well as running EAC.

Interesting.  Another good suggestion. Can you run updates on win 7 or win 10 when running as a virtual machine on Linux Mint..

On 28/11/2019 at 7:12 PM, Muon N' said:

Pirate keys go for that money, not authentic ones.

Incorrect.

Edit:  I should elaborate....

I'm sure you can buy a $7 key on ebay that is a "pirate key" .... but you can also buy windows keys which will 100% work.   They are simply keys that have been sold in other regions than Australia, where Microsoft charge much much less $.   It's well known that MS do not (and do not intend to) revoke keys like this (and punish users), as opposed to going after the people selling those keys in grey markets.

So this is about as "legit" as buying chips, or toothpaste, or similar, at the local $2 shop, where the products have been made for the indonesian (or wherever) market.    If you were the disty who was purchasing those items in said country (and then selling them in Australia "grey market"), then the manufacturer might be quite salty with you....  but they don't go down to the local $2 shop, and try to police the end-customer.

So, I guess it all depends on the definition of "pirate" and "authentic" .... but if you are implying that key will stop working... then in most cases that is not correct.

Edited by davewantsmoore

On 28/11/2019 at 7:46 PM, LogicprObe said:

You don't need updates anyway............................most of the time they are trouble.

This is terrible advice.

The foundations of all nearly all available operating systems (yes, you too Linux) are abysmal, and you should take every update you can get.

1 hour ago, Winterspace said:

Interesting.  Another good suggestion. Can you run updates on win 7 or win 10 when running as a virtual machine on Linux Mint..

Yes, you can.... although it isn't a very neat solution.   If you really want to run Linux, then it's a way to have that windows app you might need once in a blue moon still available.

There is also WINE, which allows running Windows app right inside Linux ..... although not all apps work (typically only less advance/fancy ones).