Sign in to follow this  
Hi-Fi Whipped

Tidal Hi-Fi - 4 months for AUD$1.99

Does Tidal actually have that much Lossless or Hi -Res stuff and has its interface changed at all?  When I tried the normal Tidal a while back, found Spotify had way better music content and was much nicer to use.  Plus I have a family account (6 users) for all of $17 a month and still have a spare licence to use.  Kids and wife cant tell difference between crappy low quality mp3s vs lossless stuff anyway.

Edited by Syrot

Just re-joined, 4 months for $0.99. Bargain.  

will use with Roon 1.7

Edited by chaddy

Have been using it again now for less than 2 days and I now remember why I got rid of it in the first place... 

$8 for 4 months a is about all its worth 

Back to Spotify 

1 hour ago, Hytram said:

Have been using it again now for less than 2 days and I now remember why I got rid of it in the first place... 

Back to Spotify 

have to agree with you marty,sighned up for the 4 months offer to see if things had improved since the last time I used tidal,about 12 months ago,sad to say no,dropouts,same clunky navigation,and as for sound quality spotify is not that far behind and a lot more user friendly,not to mention the music catalogue.
have already canceled any further paypal transactions with tidal.

8 hours ago, Hytram said:

Back to Spotify 

6 hours ago, ray4410 said:

have to agree with you marty,sighned up for the 4 months offer to see if things had improved since the last time I used tidal,about 12 months ago,sad to say no,dropouts,same clunky navigation,and as for sound quality spotify is not that far behind and a lot more user friendly,not to mention the music catalogue.

Thirded, after 2 days back with Tidal I have re-started my just lapsed Spotify account. Navigation and music avaibility has always been the problem for me with Tidal, also the HiFi subscription price is too much of a premium for my casual listening use.  This time around though I realised how much I have become used to managing podcast listening via Spotify, something that appears non existent in Tidal.

Happy to run with fully paid Spotify and nearly free Tidal side by side for the next 4 months for a final comparison.

Edited by zenikoy

19 minutes ago, zenikoy said:

Thirded, after 2 days back with Tidal I have re-started my just lapsed Spotify account. Navigation and music avaibility has always been the problem for me with Tidal, also the HiFi subscription price is too much of a premium for my casual listening use.  This time around though I realised how much I have become used to managing podcast listening via Spotify, something that appears non existent in Tidal.

Happy to run with fully paid Spotify and nearly free Tidal side by side for the next 4 months for a final comparison.

Thanks for the feedback, pretty much answers my previous questions.  Will stick to my Spotify account.

But no one speaks about the main reason to go to Tidal is about the lossless content.  Is there really that  much and does it suffer steaming issues for hi-res content if you dont have a high speed connection, ie using it on your Phone?

Edited by Syrot

I stream tidal and Qobuz (and have used it via 4g on my phone) without any issues, and have not had any freezing issues (check your NAT settings).

I tried Spotify premium, and it still sounded like a screeching garbage in comparison.

Tidal and Qobuz both ‘bottom out’ at CD quality (though tidal has the odd MP3 - just not in anything I listen to that doesn’t also have at least a CD version).

I’ve not had many issues with content, but I’m also a ‘50s-‘00s rock person.

Edited by furtherpale

1 hour ago, hammerharry said:

Existing members are not eligible, or maybe just me.

I had bailed out of Tidal at the end of May after switching to Qobuz, but had no trouble signing up for the $1.99/4 month special offer.

I'm happy to run Tidal for 4 months alongside my Spotify Premium.  That's heaps of time to compare and see if the extra cost in the long run is worth it. 

I've been compiling playlists in the Cambridge Audio app for my 851N where I line up the same song on my SSD (ripped CD's as WAV files), Tidal track and also Spotify track.  I just have to account for the extra volume in Tidal.  It's been very...interesting...but still 3 months and 3 weeks to go, so no decision yet.

And no drop outs at all, my biggest bug bear when I did a trial run about 2 years ago.  Drop outs make it unlistenable, so here's hoping it runs okay.

Finally, I doubt they'd offer it to existing customers.  This offer is all about bringing in new ones...