Rockman

DIY Power Cables

I'm looking to make up some power cables & have some nice plugs but, now need the raw cable.  Need some suggestions re good but, not too expensive cable a where to procure.

See the search that I created in element 14 (newark) 

https://www.newark.com/w/c/cable-wire-cable-assemblies/multiconductor-cable/prl/results?cable-shielding=shielded&no-of-conductors=3conductor&wire-gauge=16awg&sort=P_PRICE

You can try it yourself with different parameters. 

I used LAPP cable in the past https://www.newark.com/lapp-usa/2216030/shld-flex-cable-3cond-16awg-100ft/dp/69AC7450

You can see what suits your budget and needs. 

You can also use Belden 19364  power cable but that is already labled as "audiophile" so most of the ebay sources will charge extra because of that. There is also Belden 83803 PTFE jacketed shielded 12AWG cable. Awesome and very expensive but also impossible to work with and use especially on runs less than 3m. 

Ive bought some lava cable caldera power cable   made by beldin for about $3.50 usd per foot + shipping    

7 hours ago, Rockman said:

I'm looking to make up some power cables & have some nice plugs but, now need the raw cable.  Need some suggestions re good but, not too expensive cable a where to procure.

Can you clarify what your "not too expensive" budget is ?

Will help with recommendations.

Which plugs will you be using?

Wouldn't the cheapest way would be to get some good quality 3 core cable, a roll of that copper foil tape and wrap it around the cable then put some shrink tubing over the top. Connecting the copper foil to the earth wire at one end. This would eliminate EMI?

Copper Foil Tape

2 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Wouldn't the cheapest way would be to get some good quality 3 core cable, a roll of that copper foil tape and wrap it around the cable then put some shrink tubing over the top. Connecting the copper foil to the earth wire at one end. This would eliminate EMI?

Copper Foil Tape

I was thinking a similar thing for a cheap mains lead, but slightly differently.   Somewhat inspired (but different) to the VH Audio's approach to the DIY mains lead (without using fancy wires) - https://www.venhaus1.com/diymains.html

Get a standard IEC cord, and cut off the 3-pin mains plug, leave the IEC plug.  Wrap an insulated earth wire (green and yellow from bunnings) around the cable as a drain, heat-shrinking it to the IEC end so it is secure; do not connecting it to anything.  Put small pices of heat shrink along the cable at regular distances (eg. 6cm) to secure the wrapped drain cable.  Connect the additional drain wire to the earth of the mains plug end.  Cover the entire cable with braided expandable nylon sleeving, secured at both ends with heat shrink.  Connect the three mains leads with the drain wire to a quality Clipsal 3-pin mains plug. 

I'm not pretending that this will be the same quality as using a shielded cable with quality internal wires, but may reduce the EMI. 

2 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

Copper Foil Tape

A question for those with knowledge of our electrical safety standards:  Would heat-shink be considered appropriate insulation for this, or would it require more?

54 minutes ago, audiofeline said:

A question for those with knowledge of our electrical safety standards:  Would heat-shink be considered appropriate insulation for this, or would it require more?

I would wrap the copper foil tape around the outside of the cable which includes the insulation, so I can see no problem with safety. Others may chime in with more info.

3 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

I would wrap the copper foil tape around the outside of the cable which includes the insulation, so I can see no problem with safety. Others may chime in with more info.

Understood, in normal use the current cables would carry the voyage inside regular cable insulation designed for 240v.  However, in the event of a failure, the earth cable could carry 240v, so in this event, the metal foil surrounding the inner insulation could also carry 240v.  So the heatshrink would also need to protect against this current, and I'm thinking it's a lot thinner (and therefore more vulnerable) than power cable insulation.  Hence my curiosity regarding it meeting electrical safety standards. 

7 hours ago, HypnoToad said:

This would eliminate EMI?

No.

4 hours ago, audiofeline said:

Is the heat shrink suitably rated and installed correctly and tested before use? Most likely no.

Technical Data

Conformant Standards: UL: MIL-1-23053/4: JIS
Material: Dual wall, flexible, flame retarded polyolefin with modified polyamide adhesive sealant
Continuous operating temp: -55░C to +110░C
Shrinkage temp: Starts at 90░C, completed at 125░C
Tensile strength: 10.5 MPa
Elongation at break point: 200%
Longitudinal shrinkage: 15%
Breakdown voltage: 20 kV/mm wall thickness
Volume resistivity: 1.0 x 1014 ohm cm
Water absorption: 0.5%
Flammability: All tubing flame test: pass
UV resistance: Passed-ISO 1408
Voltage rating: 600 V

^^ Doesn't change my last two points. It's a waste of money and energy to do what's proposed anyway. Shield still won't be contiguous.

8 minutes ago, A9X said:

^^ Doesn't change my last two points. It's a waste of money and energy to do what's proposed anyway. Shield still won't be contiguous.

If you think I'm trying to change anything about you or ya' posts, you are bloody dreaming :lol:

Then your reading and comprehension skills are poor, as that was not what I was inferring.

21 minutes ago, A9X said:

Then your reading and comprehension skills are poor, as that was not what I was inferring.

Love you too...kiss-kiss.